Can I still match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

concerned_medstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an MS2 from an unranked US MD program. Unfortunately I severely underperformed on step and scored a 230. As ophthalmology is competitive, I was wondering if this score has stopped me from being able to apply into Ophtho. If I am still a candidate, what programs should I be focusing on. I know it will be an uphill battle and I need to well going forward. I have been working on several research papers (Ophtho, anesthesia, radiology), and should have strong LoRs from accomplished Ophthalmologists.

Members don't see this ad.

The average unmatched score this past year appears to have been 238. Never say never if you really want to go for it. Your best bet is probably to try to match to your home program if your school has one. I’ve seen people match with low scores when their home program really likes them. I wouldn’t brown nose. Just try to get involved and be genuine. If they can see you in their program, then you have a shot. It’s going to be harder to clear the invitation hurdles at other locations, but if your grades or research is exceptional you might be able to get a few. The other tool you have is away rotations, which can help other programs get a chance to know you. Definitely an uphill battle, but not completely impossible.

In a way you’re fortunate because many programs will be putting less emphasis on your step1 score anyways, so doors remain open. I think your clinical grades are crucial now in addition to Step 2. Strategic away rotations like the other poster mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a research year in ophthalmology before applying. This will allow you to publish and it will allow you to bypass the Step 1 Filters which won't exist next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the exact same situation. I sure hope step 2 is more emphasized (M3 grades too) and step 1 is less emphasized. I plan on taking a research year and applying with the batch who will have p/f scores for step 1, though who knows if my low score will still be screened out hah... Gotta shoot that shot though