Can I put this as my volunteering experience? (Helping family business)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpingtiger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I help my family business, can I put this on my app?

My sister is a hair stylist, and I run an instagram account for her business like a social media promoter. So basically I spend 1-2 hours everyday taking pictures, editing, and uploading the photos to instagram. I also manage website and reply to any emails and DMs sent by clients. I wasn’t paid, so I’m thinking of putting it under volunteering experiences.

I started doing this in January, so I probably have at least 150 hours by now. I do have other volunteering hours besides this as well (220 hours doing stuffs like free tutoring, foodbank, covid vaccine site volunteering). So in total, the volunteering hours would be near 400 hours. Would it be okay put this on my app as a volunteering experience? Would it look bad since it was a family thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not sure you have to specify it was your sister.

Overall it won’t make a big difference in your app wherever you put it but I also think work makes more sense

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it's more accurately unpaid employment instead of volunteering. I can see your argument though, since many undergrad clubs have a social media officer, but that can be considered leadership.

The main reason you want volunteering experience on your app is to show that you have some sense of altruism/generosity and willingness to serve the community. You already have some good community engagement stuff like foodbank, so why do you want to include this? This sounds more like unpaid employment. And I'm not entirely sure if you be considered volunteering since it benefited yourself (your family) financially, which goes against the spirit of volunteering.

The main reason you want volunteering experience on your app is to show that you have some sense of altruism/generosity and willingness to serve the community. You already have some good community engagement stuff like foodbank, so why do you want to include this? This sounds more like unpaid employment. And I'm not entirely sure if you be considered volunteering since it benefited yourself (your family) financially, which goes against the spirit of volunteering.

Ohh okay, then I might as well put this as an unpaid experience instead of volunteering

I was confused because I didn’t know that I’m allowed could put any unpaid experience under “work” section!

Last edited: