Can I please get an honest evaluation and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxdreamin12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm in a very bad predicament. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for 2 years. I will graduate with a biology degree this summer. However my college years have not been so great. I had many obstacles my way being the eldest child I had to work full time as well as be a full time student. I came from a family where domestic violence was an everyday thing and my dad was an alcoholic. He passed away last year and things got worse. But through all these hardships and financial problems I decided to still pursue a degree despite the many times I wanted to give up. But I always wanted to be a pharmacist and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was young. I didn't want the troubles at home to be a reason as to why I didn't achieve my goals. However even though I'm graduating with a biology degree my transcript is not so great. I'm graduating with a 2.1 cumulative gpa. I know for a fact no pharmacy school will take me. Please someone tell me if I can get a second chance at my dreams to be a pharmacist. What should be my next step after graduating with a biology degree? Should I take over all those classes I did poorly in over at a community college and aim for nothing let's than A? But I hear no matter what PharmCAS averages every grade. So if I had an F, then a C and I take the class over at a community college and get an A, how significantly will that change my grade on PharmCAS? People deserve second chances at life and I really wish I can fix my situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm in a very bad predicament. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for 2 years. I will graduate with a biology degree this summer. However my college years have not been so great. I had many obstacles my way being the eldest child I had to work full time as well as be a full time student. I came from a family where domestic violence was an everyday thing and my dad was an alcoholic. He passed away last year and things got worse. But through all these hardships and financial problems I decided to still pursue a degree despite the many times I wanted to give up. But I always wanted to be a pharmacist and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was young. I didn't want the troubles at home to be a reason as to why I didn't achieve my goals. However even though I'm graduating with a biology degree my transcript is not so great. I'm graduating with a 2.1 cumulative gpa. I know for a fact no pharmacy school will take me. Please someone tell me if I can get a second chance at my dreams to be a pharmacist. What should be my next step after graduating with a biology degree? Should I take over all those classes I did poorly in over at a community college and aim for nothing let's than A? But I hear no matter what PharmCAS averages every grade. So if I had an F, then a C and I take the class over at a community college and get an A, how significantly will that change my grade on PharmCAS? People deserve second chances at life and I really wish I can fix my situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!

With a 2.1 GPA you are overqualified for pharmacy school. They will contact you before you even get started applying.

And by 'dream' do you mean you have always been passionate about working at CVS/Wags where you will be standing for 12 hours at a time getting yelled at by angry customers who want to OD on their pain meds two weeks prior to their refill date.

Hi guys,
Hi,
In my opinion, I think you should reassert your life priority. If you decide to go to pharmacy school and you are willing to retake your class to improve GPA, you are looking at least 6 years of schools ahead of you and around 150-200k a year. If you do poorly in undergraduate school, you will not do well in pharmacy school and will end up with debt. Here is my guide for you if you chose to listen:
1st Retake science classes and evaluate yourself in those classes. Give it the best shot you can and with full attention and see how it turns out to be.
2nd Unless you get a high B or A, you need to give up on pharmacy school. If you get A at least 80-90% of the classes, then give it a shot for pharmacy school.
I am the eldest child in my family and i do struggle alot, however I still decide to go for pharmacy school and i got in. You need to think carefully if pharmacy is really what you want. It is a big investment and cant be taken lightly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
In my opinion, I think you should reassert your life priority. If you decide to go to pharmacy school and you are willing to retake your class to improve GPA, you are looking at least 6 years of schools ahead of you and around 150-200k a year. If you do poorly in undergraduate school, you will not do well in pharmacy school and will end up with debt. Here is my guide for you if you chose to listen:
1st Retake science classes and evaluate yourself in those classes. Give it the best shot you can and with full attention and see how it turns out to be.
2nd Unless you get a high B or A, you need to give up on pharmacy school. If you get A at least 80-90% of the classes, then give it a shot for pharmacy school.
I am the eldest child in my family and i do struggle alot, however I still decide to go for pharmacy school and i got in. You need to think carefully if pharmacy is really what you want. It is a big investment and cant be taken lightly.

Thanks a lot for ur input. I know if I do it this around I can get those As with a clear mind and one focus. But how slim are my chances if you don't mind me asking if I retake those science classes. I also aim to really well on my PCATS.

Thanks a lot for ur input. I know if I do it this around I can get those As with a clear mind and one focus. But how slim are my chances if you don't mind me asking if I retake those science classes. I also aim to really well on my PCATS.

If you want to blow away 200K in money, then you can get into the new schools. They care about only three things: 1) you took prerequisite courses (anything C and above is good with them) 2) you have work or volunteer experience in a pharmacy 3) you have access to 200K in loans.

edit: you may not actually need number 2 for the new schools.

Last edited:
Hi,

so you got into Chapman University?
pharmacy schools dont even have applicants that get As on 80-90% of the classes, 3.1 is competitive for the new schools now

pharmacy schools dont even have applicants that get As on 80-90% of the classes, 3.1 is competitive for the new schools now
Nope, khoanguyen1989 is attending an out-of-state university but is from California it seems. So everyone on this forum is setting their sights on the Republic of Asians, California. Let the Hunger Games begin.

No I did get accepted to Chapman but I am not going there since the tuition is extremely high and the cost of living in Irvine is also high. I got into 2 other schools and decided to go to University of Wyoming where the average GPA accepted is 3.5 and admission rate is 25%.

Nope, khoanguyen1989 is attending an out-of-state university but is from California it seems. So everyone on this forum is setting their sights on the Republic of Asians, California. Let the Hunger Games begin.
Hi,
I want to attend to out of state University for personal reason. I dont understand why you feel the need to put negative comment about me in a forum to help pharmacy student to get advice on school and student life. You may had a bad experience with pharmacist or pharmacy student and if you want to vent your feeling, feel free to message me. I am all ear and hope to help you like I want to help other in this forum.
thank you for reading.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I want to attend to out of state University for personal reason. I dont understand why you feel the need to put negative comment about me in a forum to help pharmacy student to get advice on school and student life. You may had a bad experience with pharmacist or pharmacy student and if you want to vent your feeling, feel free to message me. I am all ear and hope to help you like I want to help other in this forum.
thank you for reading.

I want to make myself clear. I am not interested in making personal attacks. However, if I come across anything absurd, I will make a smart-aleck joke.

In response to frozenicecreamDMD's comment about you being in a student at Chapman, I corrected him about your status. Then I made a smart-aleck joke about how everyone is trying to get into California. It was never meant to be a personal attack.

I know that you attend the University of Wyoming pharmacy school. That is phenomenal. The yearly tuition there is only 16-17K a year. That is a steal in this day and age. I am hoping you are getting instate tuition? Most state/public schools will give you instate tuition once you are enrolled. With pharmacy intern pay, you may be able to afford food, housing, books without having to take out extra loans. And with that loan burden, you will have no trouble paying it back. You can even live on 40K a year that residencies pay.

I mainly haunt these forums to dissuade foolhardy students who are willing to shell 250K for a subpar pharmacy education. I use my smart-aleck ways to respond to people who are making a mistake. The OP has trouble with studying, and his grades are poor. He is gonna be a target for the diploma mills that have popped up in the last few years.

Not all students can get into highly-reputable, very-affordable state school like you and me. So I make sure I expose these people to the negative aspects of pharmacy education. Trash schools like Chapman couldn't care less what happens to their students. They will siphon off 200K in tuition alone by painting a rosy picture to these students. Posters at SDN Pharmacy (like I) are more than happy to counter this marketing BS.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to make myself clear. I am not interested in making personal attacks. However, if I come across anything absurd, I will make a smart-aleck joke.

In response to frozenicecreamDMD's comment about you being in a student at Chapman, I corrected him about your status. Then I made a smart-aleck joke about how everyone is trying to get into California. It was never meant to be a personal attack.

I know that you attend the University of Wyoming pharmacy school. That is phenomenal. The yearly tuition there is only 16-17K a year. That is a steal in this day and age. I am hoping you are getting instate tuition? Most state/public schools will give you instate tuition once you are enrolled. With pharmacy intern pay, you may be able to afford food, housing, books without having to take out extra loans. And with that loan burden, you will have no trouble paying it back. You can even live on 40K a year that residencies pay.

I mainly haunt these forums to dissuade foolhardy students who are willing to shell 250K for a subpar pharmacy education. I use my smart-aleck ways to respond to people who are making a mistake. The OP has trouble with studying, and his grades are poor. He is gonna be a target for the diploma mills that have popped up in the last few years.

Not all students can get into highly-reputable, very-affordable state school like you and me. So I make sure I expose these people to the negative aspects of pharmacy education. Trash schools like Chapman couldn't care less what happens to their students. They will siphon off 200K in tuition alone by painting a rosy picture to these students. Posters at SDN Pharmacy (like I) are more than happy to counter this marketing BS.

Hi,
I completely agree with you regarding this point. However, I strongly believe everyone should have a "pre-trail" before deciding from going to pharmacy school. That why I advice OP to take class and see his/her performance on the subjects, then ask family or friend if pharmacy is the best fit for him/her. I never intend to support everyone with low stat going to pharmacy school and end up with 200k of debt. Rather, I want to become an example that it is possible. Nevertheless, I am trying to think of a solution to help students, regardless of GPA or stat to make the right decision, whether or not pharmacy school is a correct choice for them. I truely hope we can work together to make this pre-pharmacy forum a better place for all students and regain the image of pharmacy in everyone mind.
Thank you for reading

Uni of wyoming OOS cost for pharmcy is 31k/year and I dont think they allow you to change residence. very very few schools allow this.

It allows you to become residence with certain requirements including living and working there for at least 1 year and get a property in which a mobile home qualify as a property. Technically I could just find after school work for one year and get a mobile home. The Tution plus the mobile home turn out to be around 100k, still around 50k cheaper than private school

Members don't see this ad :)
It allows you to become residence with certain requirements including living and working there for at least 1 year and get a property in which a mobile home qualify as a property. Technically I could just find after school work for one year and get a mobile home. The Tution plus the mobile home turn out to be around 100k, still around 50k cheaper than private school
Wow, when did school started requiring owning property to get in state tuition, that's insane!! I have gained instate tution in 2 different states across country,
never even had to rent apartment on my own to prove my residency. Sure, i saw that option in my app but it wasn't REQUIRED to do.I do however work for 1 year and had everything converted to new state. Anyways, this is pretty crazy, not many people can afford to buy some property to get in state tuition. But based on math you showed in this post i would say its $100K cheaper than MWU. So if you can afford doing all those step, go ahead!

If you want to have a wider choice of schools come acceptance time, besides applying to your in-state schools, search out and apply to out of state schools that give in-state tuition waivers for your state. This advice is more important for relatively strong candidates that can get into these schools. If a candidate is strong enough, there are public schools that prefer in-state residents and will give highly qualified OOS students in-state tuition all four years.

Making extremely exaggerated comments: Check
Demeaning user name: Check
Invoking Trump: Check
New account (last week) with torrent of negative posts: Check
Spreading diatribes across forums: Check
Taking time to color text in diatribes: Check

I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt that you are neither a PharmD nor PharmD student as I don't believe any stable minded person would be sadistic enough to devalue themselves (or their profession) in such a public way.
Internet trolls are both fun (overblown statements) and very sad (obsessive, lonely behavior).
But it'll be interesting to see how long this current account stays active.

ACE in your PCAT especially in the subjects that inhibited your gpa, then explain the low grades.

Making extremely exaggerated comments: Check
Demeaning user name: Check
Invoking Trump: Check
New account (last week) with torrent of negative posts: Check
Spreading diatribes across forums: Check
Taking time to color text in diatribes: Check

I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt that you are neither a PharmD nor PharmD student as I don't believe any stable minded person would be sadistic enough to devalue themselves (or their profession) in such a public way.
Internet trolls are both fun (overblown statements) and very sad (obsessive, lonely behavior).
But it'll be interesting to see how long this current account stays active.
Wow. I must of made your day. I guess I will respond to your post since it seems you may be mad at me? I will do my best to politely disagree with your analysis of me.

If you're interested, I am a pharmacy student. I had some free time last week, so I began trolling the forums of SDN. I've been a longtime reader of the pharmacy forums so I decided to contribute to the nadir that is SDN Pharmacy.

I guess my username got you mad. I never meant it as a form of disrespect to pharmacists. It was meant to be a joke on the whole doctorate degree we get at the end of pharmacy school and how it confers nothing like the privileges or increased scope of practice that MD/DOs and even NP/PAs get (the latter two are not even doctorates yet.) I even wrote a whole spiel about in this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-here-negative-about-pharmacy.1195940/page-2

If I knew it would be so controversial, I would have gone with another username like softcorepharm. If you know how to change it, I will be all ears. I've been triggering too many people with that user name.

And I think you misinterpreted my locations status. It says 'Trump Country" to indicate that I live in a red state. I don't support him or his views. I meant it in a tongue-and-cheek way since it seems most of the people here live or want to live in California. I have changed it to "stuck in a red state" to allay confusions. And I am blessed to be living in this part of the country. No excess pharmacy schools in my area and my tuition is dirt cheap. Plus pharmacists get more than enough work here.

And the reason I use all that fun font and color is because I end up writing some long post. Gotta make the post look nice.

I've trolled a little too much, but in my defense, I've tried to help people who are trying to get into pharmacy school. Just search some of my posts.

Last edited:
ACE in your PCAT especially in the subjects that inhibited your gpa, then explain the low grades.

If I ace my PCAT. I still won't meet the minimum requirement gpa of most pharmacy school which is 2.5. That's why I'm really worried idk how I can raise my gpa. Is there really no way to raise the preqs gpa please someone tell me how to??

I would say retake some classes especially Sciences if you got a low grade in them. I retook Gen Chem 2 to help boost my GPA.

There are some pharmacy schools that calculate your GPA with grade replacement (so they will calculate their own GPA separate from PharmCAS just based on the "new" grades). There was a post a few years ago with a guide about it. You might be able to search and find it. I believe Texas Tech for example will calculate based on retakes alone (at least they use to). But basically, yes, retake all prerequisites you got a C in and do well on the PCAT. You won't even get looked at if you don't hit the minimum.

You want to make sure you address why you did poorly before (self-reflection-wise). I understand difficult life circumstances, but are you in a place now where you can be successful? Be honest with yourself. You don't want to get into a program and fail out (and owe a lot of money for nothing). Do you still have to work full time (that doesn't fly for most people in pharmacy school)? I don't know where you are (if those previous issues linger or not), but it may be better to get on more stable footing (emotionally and financially) before you even think about retaking classes and such.

To the original poster -

Most of sarcasm you have received above is useless to you. If you want to succeed, you have to take the charge and do it yourself. No one will make this happen for you if you are not ready to face the consequences of your past actions which led you to where you are now. No one made you stick it out in school when you were in a bad place. Proverbial **** happens. People make mistakes. No one is perfect. But a mature adult recognizes when one has too much on his or her plate and withdraws from school for a semester or two until things can be done right the first time. You didnt. You now face the consequences to sticking it out when no one penalizes anyone for withdrawing due to personal reasons.

And before you do any of the steps below, you really need to take a look in the mirror and commit to what you want to do. This means things like going out with friends, watching Game of Thrones on Netflix, and anything else which is not directly helping you reach your end goal are IRRELEVANT and can only HOLD YOU DOWN. You need to be willing to make a large sacrifice in order to reach your goal. It also means getting yourself emotionally ready for this. You aren't in a healthy place. You have a lot of baggage. You need to get your head and heart right or else your demons will resurface and wreck you. If they wreck you in your second chance it is unlikely the world will give you a third.

Step 1: Identify three or four schools you truly want to attend. Do NOT pick them because of tuition, proximity, near where your boyfriend/girlfriend goes etc. DO pick them for one reason and one reason only - which school is the best means to your end. Identify what end you seek (i.e. what ultimate career within pharmacy) and then identify which schools will get you there. And because I love risk management, identify options 2 3 4 for your desired end and weigh which schools will likely help you attain all or most of the ends you seek.

Step 2: Identify the minimum thresholds are for the schools you have selected. Pick the highest threshold. This is your GPA goal.

Step 3: DO NOT RE-TAKE COURSEWORK WHICH IS NOT REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION. If you got a D in something school X requires a C, yes, retake it; otherwise, dont. This is both pointless and I assure you that even if you went from a D to a B+ or A no admissions officer cares. You are expected to significantly improve your performance on your second attempt. It does nothing to show you have grown as a person. Instead, identify a complement degree to your first one in biology offering an acceptable alternative endpoint not named pharmacy. Find a local school which offers that second degree option, matriculate, and complete a second degree. You had better make sure of two things: (1) pick a degree program which will allow you to use as many of your biology degree credits as possible in transfer so you need to take the fewest possible courses for a second degree and (2) your grades in this second degree need to be at least a 3.5 GPA and higher. If you can't earn a 3.5 on degree #2, forget pharmacy.

Step 4: Halfway or more (with 1 year remaining) through your 2nd degree, having earned more As than Bs, schedule appointments with the admissions officers at each of your desired schools. Bring your old and new transcript with you. Use this as a one on one time to explain your situation and show them the old you (old transcript) and new you. Tell the officer you want to be judged on the basis of who you are now (halfway through your new degree) not who you were before. Since you have transcript proof of this change, the officer is more receptive to this idea. And do not fail to also ask the officer about other things they believe you should pursue in order to improve your chances.

Step 5: absolutely manhandle the PCAT and do whatever the admissions officer told you to do. By destroy the test I mean 95% and above. If you don't think you can do this, forget pharmacy and move on. Remember, being an average applicant is not an option for you anymore - you must prove you are exceptional. That means above 2 standard deviations. That means above 95th percent. Stay in touch with your schools. Go to their open house/informational sessions. Show your face and make your face known. Ask thoughtful genuine questions. Seek out the admissions officer that you met with and say hello at the info session. Give a brief 30 second update on the things you have done per recommendations, ask for more recommendations. You must be eager and genuine.

Step 6: Apply, write a great personal statement and candidly reflect on your past, your present, and your future. After applying, contact the admissions officer and let him/her know you have applied. Thank the individual again for their assistance. And mention that you hope the admissions committee looks favorably on the change in you and focuses less on the cumulative statistics which are still going to suck horribly. More likely than not, if you have take that person's advice, performed as I say above, the officer will pull your file aside for special consideration.

After that, it's in the admissions committee's hands. You may get in, you may not. But you will academically be in a better place, and remember what I said about having the second complementary degree be able to get you to an acceptable end not named pharmacy? Well now you just got the credibility to enter that field with a 3.5 and above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like most schools don't evne look at cGPA anymore

I feel like most schools don't evne look at cGPA anymore
All they care about is that delicious student loan money.

Willing to go 200-300K in debt for a 100K job? Chapman and California Northstate are more than happy to save you a seat.

You seem like a very thoughtful individual, so maybe you could explain on what facts you are basing your opinion of Chapman.

Reactions: 1 user