Can I pass Step 1? (3 weeks left)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedAboutEverything

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The CBSE I took last month was a 162.

For the month of February (last month), I've been memorizing FA and doing uWorld questions.

I'm only 25% done with UWorld and my average is 50% questions right.

There are still sections of First Aid I have not yet reviewed at all (Cardiology, Heme/onc, Endocrinology, Neuro, Psych, Biochem, Path, pharm, public health sciences). I have reviewed all else and memorized them.

I'm losing time. I still have to memorize the rest of the First Aid and I have 2400 Uworld questions left?

Realistically speaking? Can I pass? Do I have the time to do all of this?

3 weeks left (19 days left).

Not sure how to proceed? There is SO MUCH to do?

Do you think I can pull off a 194??

Or should I not sit for this exam at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend that you don't sit the STEP1 exam in 3 weeks. It may be in your best interest to write the exam when it becomes pass/fail in 2022.

Reactions: 2 users

For the month of February (last month), I've been memorizing FA and doing uWorld questions.

There are still sections of First Aid I have not yet reviewed at all (Cardiology, Heme/onc, Endocrinology, Neuro, Psych, Biochem, Path, pharm, public health sciences). I have reviewed all else and memorized them.

I'm losing time. I still have to memorize the rest of the First Aid and I have 2400 Uworld questions left?

Absolutely not. Sit for Step 1 when it's P/F. No doubt about it.

Reactions: 1 users

You shouldn't be aiming for a 194. That's a recipe for disaster. Your predicted score should be 220s minimum before you sit for the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as though you are not yet prepared to sit for this exam. Instead of asking yourself whether you think you can pass Step 1 in 3 weeks, you should ask yourself if you are ok with just passing? Barely passing the Step 1 isn't going to do much for you if you are planning on applying to residencies in the US. Furthermore, if you end up not passing which is definitely a possibility in your situation, that will be a major red flag on your application. That being said, the best thing to do in this situation is to push the exam back, set a new goal score that is much higher than just passing, focus on re-learning the material, get through the entire UWQ bank 1-2 times through, and take all the practice tests.
Good luck!
- Annette R, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Postpone the exam! it is much better to wait and get a better score than rush through it. Graduating late is viewed much more favorably than not passing the exam.

Last edited by a moderator: