Can I match Uro 4th Quartile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiveMeAchanceCoach

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I match Urology being in 4th Quartile classrank? I did not take the first year and a half of medical school too seriously. Have always had an interest in Urology and scored decent on Step 1.

Mid Tier MD school, 244 Step 1
Research: 2 Urology pubs (1st author), 2 Urology Letters, 1 smaller Urology publication, 1 unrelated pub (middle author)
LORs: Have good support in the department. I have been working with the same research mentor since the beginning of first year.
Class Rank: 4th Quartile (should raise to 3rd if I continue to do well 3rd year)
Grades: 1H and 1HP so far through 4th year. Still have IM/Surg to go.

Frustrated at myself for blowing off the first two years of med school as much as I did. My Urology mentor said the only thing they really care about when matching students into Urology is Step 1, LORs and Research. Not sure how accurate this is or how big of a downside being in the 4th (possibly 3rd) quartile is given how competitive it is.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is usually pretty dead, unfortunately. Hopefully somebody will pop in to offer an opinion but you might be an attending by the time they do lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine. Step 1 and research are good. Do well on your clinical rotations in surgery and your urology sub-is to get some killer letters.

I think you'll be fine. Step 1 and research are good. Do well on your clinical rotations in surgery and your urology sub-is to get some killer letters.

Thanks for your reply! I am guessing you're a Urology resident?

What types of things did you notice on the interview trail that interviewers tended to focus/talk about?

It's certainly not a plus for you, but I think you still have a decent app for urology, definitely try and honor your IM and surgery. Having strong grades on those are probably more important than your overall rank.

You’ll be fine as long as you do well on away rotations