Can I match an advanced program through NRMP but prelim outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisysimpson87

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to advanced radiology programs. I applied to preliminary programs within the match but I was also offered a prelim outside of the match. If I match advanced radiology can I keep that and do the outside prelim program? Or, will the NRMP require me to SOAP into a prelim?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I applied to advanced radiology programs. I applied to preliminary programs within the match but I was also offered a prelim outside of the match. If I match advanced radiology can I keep that and do the outside prelim program? Or, will the NRMP require me to SOAP into a prelim?

The pre-match program will allow me to accept their offer after match day.
Thank you

It depends. If you're a current US MD or DO student (hence a "sponsored applicant" in the match), then no -- you must find both a prelim and advanced position in the match. If you're an IMG, prior grad, or otherwise an "independent applicant" in the match, then yes you can rank only advanced positions and accept a spot outside the match.

If you're a US MD or DO, you could probably "get away" with it. You simply don't rank any prelims, then take the spot after the match and SOAP. But if the program changes their mind and decides not to offer you a spot, then you're stuck. And you can't legally sign anything prior to the match -- although if you did so, it's unlikely anyone would notice / complain.

Reactions: 1 users