Can I Hide When Program Directors Call Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Oc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feeling this way? How awkward is it to talk on the phone to all of the programs that maybe you liked alot and would be happy at, but are not your #1? Does everyone have to call? Of course I chat up the things that l like and state the proverbial "will rank highly" and "I know I would be very happy there" type stuff, but I still feel like I'm telling half-truths.

I guess I just don't have a point. I was just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way and how you deal with the phone calls.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feeling this way? How awkward is it to talk on the phone to all of the programs that maybe you liked alot and would be happy at, but are not your #1? Does everyone have to call? Of course I chat up the things that l like and state the proverbial "will rank highly" and "I know I would be very happy there" type stuff, but I still feel like I'm telling half-truths.

I guess I just don't have a point. I was just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way and how you deal with the phone calls.

I've only had one so far, but it was at my #4 choice..er...how do you put a positive spin on that? They just want to get a feel for where you will rank them, I guess.

But I agree--it's awkward and yukky to have to lie/stretch the truth.

No One Is Calling Me, Must Be A Bad Sign

Members don't see this ad :)
No one's calling me either. Do emails and letters count?

I know exactly what you're saying. I had a program director call me and leave a message with their pager number saying to please call them in the hospital before the end of the week, during business hours. It's awkward enough to talk to them, let alone have to page them while they're busy. Anyhow, i've told them the same things "I'm very interested", "I was really impressed with the program and everyone that I met on my interview day", "I plan on ranking you highly", "I'd be very happy if i were to match with your program". You obviously can't tell them the truth, because what if you don't get your #1? You can't make a program think you aren't interested.

Some programs are more apt to contact you apparently, my #5 is bludgening me to death with emails, letters and phone calls. While my #1 knows that i'm most likely going to match there and doesn't contact me at all, because they know that applicants are hastled by a lot of programs.

So I don't think no phone calls is a bad sign, a bad sign is if you interview somewhere and your friend interviewed there too, and they get calls, emails, and letters and you get nothing. That's a bad sign, i got one of them too... glad i didn't like the program (i'm thinking they must've gotten that vibe from me while i was there).

No one's calling me either. No program loves me :(
I get emails and note cards though but not really from programs that are my top choices. +pissed+

Heh...I had to make some of those calls as a resident. Trust me, they don't like it any more than you do. ;)

Just be polite. You don't have to kiss their kneecaps (unless they really are your first choice, in which case you shouldn't stop at the kneecaps...KIDDING!)

Programs are different. "Warm handshake and good information," is the opinion of our director. I guess we're giving out a laser-pointer pen or something now, too. But I don't think we EVER call applicants. Most of us who matched at my program were surprised when it happened. The PD called me AFTER I matched.

So don't worry and rank your favorites first. You never know what they're thinking.

Just be polite. You don't have to kiss their kneecaps (unless they really are your first choice, in which case you shouldn't stop at the kneecaps...KIDDING!)

:laugh:

"Warm handshake and good information"
As opposed to the "Bangkok handshake" that Kent suggests..... :smuggrin:

If a program director calls me and leaves a voice mail (but doesn't ask me to call back), do I need to call him back as well? (He said to call if I have any questions and I sense that he might want me to call...). However, I'm so busy with rotations that it's not possible for me to call during the day. What is the proper etiquette? Is email acceptable?

If a program director calls me and leaves a voice mail (but doesn't ask me to call back), do I need to call him back as well?...What is the proper etiquette? Is email acceptable?

If you're interested in the program at all, I would acknowledge the message somehow, even if it's via e-mail. If nothing else, just thank him for keeping in touch. You don't have to ask any questions.

If you're interested in the program at all, I would acknowledge the message somehow, even if it's via e-mail. If nothing else, just thank him for keeping in touch. You don't have to ask any questions.

Thanks! Will do!

No one's calling me either. No program loves me :(
I get emails and note cards though but not really from programs that are my top choices. +pissed+

no one's calling me either. just emails and cards.