Can I go to med school? What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philb117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Major Mechanical Engineering
School Rochester Institute of Technology

Cum GPA 2.78
Science 3.0 (one or two courses)

-Volunteer at SNHMC
-Research on composite materials
-Lab Assistant Instron Machine for pull testing a variety of material specimens
-4 years Janitor at SNHMC full time hours for the summers
-2 years food service SNHMC per diem
-Lab Assistant
-1 year Vicor corp full time
-CSAM sonoscan machine testing
-Scanning electron microscopy
-Instron Pull testing
- JMP statistical analysis
- test board fabrication of large batches of chips
-Manufacturing line analysis of machine data output
-Eagle scout, Order of the Arrow
-ASME club student design competition winner

I am a 4th year (out of 5 years for BS) Mechanical Engineering student, I don't have the most fantastic GPA due to personal issues during my second year of school and not getting proper help at the time which have now been remedied. I currently have a 2.78 GPA with a full year of courses left to take about 40-60 credit hours plus a possible few extras for the pre-req for medical school. I am currently getting help with my test taking which I only wish I had done earlier I am very hard on myself and my low GPA was due to a lot of self sabotage. I have always loved learning and I can learn things and retain them very easily not just in school but outside of school as well. Getting help with my grades has significantly improved my GPA for this current semester up to a 3.2 (I go to a school with no +/- system so a C is a 2 B 3 A 4 there is no B+ 3.33 which I would have in multiple classes). I have also made the mistake of stacking my schedule with the hardest engineering and liberal arts courses first leaving my free electives and science electives for the last year. I am currently finishing off my 5th year courses and filling in the bio and chem courses with my free electives and science electives that I need to get into a med school. I have never taken a course to inflate my GPA as I have always preferred the challenging courses because of what they have to offer, despite my lower grades in some of them. My passion for medicine truly blossomed from working on coop for a electrical manufacturing company for almost a year and doing a lot of self discovery on what I wanted out of life I have always had it in the back of my mind but never really thought much about it until that experiance. I truly have a passion for learning and giving back to my community with the knowledge I gain which is why I feel the background in engineering can help accelerate and prepare me for the medical school and the years that follow. I participate in several extra curricular activities including community service, volunteering and clubs as well as fitness related things and working, I am a Eagle scout (not sure if that will carry as much weight as people tell me it will). I have never given up or lost sight of my goals over the years I always have known that I wanted to provide something back to the community I live in wherever it maybe and I feel that mechanical engineering isnt my stop to obtain that. for the first 3 years of college I worked as a janitor at a hospital over the summer (I have not had a summer vacation since junior year of high school) and that was not at all what I wanted to do but i worked hard, sometimes double shifts to help out my family with my schooling and that experience helps me never give up my goals. I think I have overcome a lot in my life and its been very hard sometimes but I never give up on something i truly want if I do poorly in a class I retake it if I don't understand something I research it and ask questions and get help. I have proven that even though I have a lower GPA that I am more than capable at doing the work and learning and doing it well above expectations. I have several professors, employers and counselors who have offered to write letters of recommendation for me stating that I am an A student even though my grades don't reflect that (it is really hard to make this up I have always been told I have a very mature outlook on learning and that I represent an A student even when I myself don't believe it). I truly want to be a doctor not for the money (I have offers now to work as a engineer for 70k a year and pay off my debts but I want to stay in school to learn more) not for the authority but for the fulfillment of who I am and what I think my place is in the world. I am prepared to give the time money and heart ache into this I know the hardships that come with this choice but I am ready for any challenge. I will continue to raise my GPA and study hard getting help to raise my GPA as well as taking the required Biology and Chemistry courses, My current science GPA is a 3.0. I have taken the MCAT practice test without taking the chem or bio classes just studying from books and scored a 27. Is there any chance that I can get into med school and fulfill this dream of mine?

Thank you all for any input and advice you can give me.

Phil

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's always a way, however your road to garnering admissions to an MD/DO program will be much tougher than most.

First off, get your GPA to at least a 3.0, anything below it will land you automatic rejects to a number of schools due to them screening out anyone with below a B average. This can be achieved through a post-bacc or finishing strong your final year(s). Calculate your maximum GPA and try your best to be realistic. If you're stacking a ton of upper level Bio/Chem/Physics courses you're most likely not going to finish with straight A's, especially if you're juggling a full time job, research, shadowing, volunteering, etc. Consider the SMP route as well, as that's a much easier fix for a someone with a low GPA like yours.

Secondly, get shadowing, you'll need roughly ~50 hours. If you're applying DO, make sure you shadow a DO doctor among others.

Thirdly, nail the MCAT. Scoring average of matriculants won't cut it for you. A 27 definitely won't do the trick, so make sure you pay attention in your remaining science/bio/physics courses and touch up on your verbal (and writing) skills.

Make sure your LOR's are top notch, and your PS is amazing.

You have a long road ahead of you. If you're open to osteopathic medicine, consider retaking classes and take full advantage of their grade replacement policy.

Good luck.

Unfortunately your GPA is a little low, some of the MD schools have a minimum cGPA cut offs of 3.0 (harsh I know). Now, if you were to apply to D.O, schools, they have a much lenient system when it comes to your GPA. I believe for D.O. schools you can simply replace a bad grade, say a C, if you just retake that same course and get a better grade in it. That being the case, if shouldn't be too hard for you to raise your GPA. As you replace the bad grades with A's your GPA should rise quickly. Study hard for the MCAT (take a prep course) and aim for 28+ and I would say you have a good shot at most DO schools and some MD schools! Good Luck!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses, I am prepared to work hard and do this. I was also wondering since I have not taken the biology or chem classes since high school AP bio and chem if getting A's in those classes would strongly influence my lower grades in my engineering courses most of which I have scored well in anyways. I don't believe at this point it is far fetched for me to continue to get A's and high B's in my courses. I am also prepared to take some classes after I earn my degree to help bolster my grades.

Thank you for your responses, I am prepared to work hard and do this. I was also wondering since I have not taken the biology or chem classes since high school AP bio and chem if getting A's in those classes would strongly influence my lower grades in my engineering courses most of which I have scored well in anyways. I don't believe at this point it is far fetched for me to continue to get A's and high B's in my courses. I am also prepared to take some classes after I earn my degree to help bolster my grades.

You need As. Bs won't cut it, especially since your school doesnt have + or - grades. If you can get your science GPA near 4.0 you will have more schools take notice of you than they would for the average 3.0~ applicant. You need to do that, get an excellent MCAT score, and apply to a broad range of MD and DO schools to have a realistic chance at admission at this point. Good luck!