can I go directly to a US residency without first completing a Czech residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well as name of this threat can tell you, Iam curious if I can go directly from my med school to US residency without completing it here.
Is something like this possible?
If it was possible how hard would it be to get it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can. There is no requirement to complete residency in your home country (although some countries have internal rules that require it).

But you'll need to take the USMLE exams, do reasonably well on them. You also will be much better off if you have some US experience, which you need to try to arrange while still a medical student. Once you graduate, it's very difficult to get any experience. It's a long road, and any problems along the way may sink your chances. It's also best if you're applying within 2 years (or 3 at the most) of graduating. It depends upon the school and how knowledgable / comfortable US programs are with it. And it depends upon the field you're interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can. There is no requirement to complete residency in your home country (although some countries have internal rules that require it).

But you'll need to take the USMLE exams, do reasonably well on them. You also will be much better off if you have some US experience, which you need to try to arrange while still a medical student. Once you graduate, it's very difficult to get any experience. It's a long road, and any problems along the way may sink your chances. It's also best if you're applying within 2 years (or 3 at the most) of graduating. It depends upon the school and how knowledgable / comfortable US programs are with it. And it depends upon the field you're interested in.

First of all, Iam glad you answered, thank you.
Well, Iam just starting my 2nd semester so I feel like I have enough time.
Hmm, I feel like if I would to be a doctor then psychiatrist or neurologist (or combined). If surgeon then Neurosurgeon or transplant.

I know its a lot diverse but its a bit early to know for sure :D (atleast I hope) but would I have chance in some of those??

Neurosurgery = zero chance.
Psych or Neuro - absolutely possible, but there is no combination that I am aware of.
Transplant surgery = I have no idea, although in general the surgical fields are more competitive than non-surgical.

In all cases, you want to do as well as you can in school, take the USMLE exams and score well on them, and then do US rotations while a student. None of this is easy, nor cheap.

And, assuming you're not a US citizen, you'll need a visa to do so, one more layer of complexity.

But it can be done, lots of people do it every year. Lots more try and fail.

Thanks a lot for your time.

You helped a lot, Its a bit sad that neurosurgery is out of realm of possibilities but I expected it.
And if I can have one last question, what would the cost be?

That's a complicated question, but expensive. You'd need to take USMLE Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK. Each of those is about $1000. To really compete well, you'll need US experience -- that involves coming to the US and living here while doing rotations, which some schools charge for. Then, you'll need to apply to residency programs -- assuming you apply to a large number, you're talking about another several thousand dollars. Assuming you get interviews, you'd need to travel to each of them. So, all told, probably at least $10,000. That ignores any costs to studying for the USMLE exams, and any visa costs.

Once you're a resident, you get paid.

Thanks alot for your time and guidance :) it helped a lot :)