This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I include my story on my personal statement

• Yes, it is unique and gives a positive attribute towards your practice of medicine.

• No, it may ruin your chances, play it safe.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mdsmed

Reaction score
So my situation is very different than most. I have spent countless hours researching and speaking to doctors/medical professionals and have not been able to get a consistent stream of information. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. In no way am I trying to deliver a sob story or a tale of victimization. Just trying to see if I can achieve my goals and get to my dream.

So my life has been difficult. I've been homeless, involved in street life; won't go into detail but incarceration (non-violent, possession w intent to sell because of the quantity), drugs and struggle with addiction that lead to mistakes, very bad people, rehab... probably anything you can imagine - I've seen or been through. I have been convicted of a felony but have had it expunged. Through all this I've successfully completed highschool and almost am finished with pre-med majoring in Biology. I have a 3.6 GPA and let's say I get a 512-520 when I take my MCAT (I know I can). I love medicine. I always have, I just grew up around the wrong people. Medicines my passion and my dream is to become a doctor with an MD. I have worked very very hard to move on and overcome this adversity.
I have two main questions..
1) My strongest suite, my gift in life is perspective. I can see past any surface and place myself in anyone's shoes with no judgement or bias, and be able to fully understand them. I believe this is what will make me a great doctor. I have had deep conversations with people with nothing, addicts, murders who've lost their lives and will spend their last breath behind bars. I've also spent a lot of time with doctors, many whom are my friends, people who've accomplished nearly the most you can. My question(s) is, when writing my personal statement to Med-Schools; should I discuss my gift of perspective? Should I even bring it up? Will it possibly also serve to explain my record at the same time bring light to the matter?

2) My second main question is; Will I be able to get into med school With a felony (non-violent)? I've worked so hard and by the time I apply, this will be a good 5/6 years fully behind me.

I ask you to please consider all aspects and facts of my story, and answer without bias's of your own.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
You should be able to receive interviews at some MD and DO schools. Which schools you can apply to will depend on your MCAT score and state of residence .

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to receive interviews at some MD and DO schools. Which schools you can apply to will depend on your MCAT score and state of residence .
What are your views on my other questions?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should assert in your application that this felony was due to "hanging with the wrong crowd" or "Not having full maturity" And then you should describe how you learned from it "Started hanging with the right people" Take full responsibility and own what you did and explain how you came out of it a much better doctor.

Then you can say in your personal statement that Given your experiences, you are uniquely giften with a much better ability to help people who are worse off becuase you have experienced it firsthand. Not many premeds have gone what you have gone through and you can be a unique applicant if you describe how much you have improved from your experience. UNIQUE APPLICANTs ARE GOOD! you want to seperate yourself from the crowd. Make sure you assert yourself that you can empathize with anyone and have a unique perspective. Then on top of that make sure you have 510+ , in your interview make sure to come across as the most gentle, caring, sincere person . You should be fine imo

So my situation is very different than most. I have spent countless hours researching and speaking to doctors/medical professionals and have not been able to get a consistent stream of information. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. In no way am I trying to deliver a sob story or a tale of victimization. Just trying to see if I can achieve my goals and get to my dream.

So my life has been difficult. I've been homeless, involved in street life; won't go into detail but incarceration (non-violent, possession w intent to sell because of the quantity), drugs and struggle with addiction that lead to mistakes, very bad people, rehab... probably anything you can imagine - I've seen or been through. I have been convicted of a felony but have had it expunged. Through all this I've successfully completed highschool and almost am finished with pre-med majoring in Biology. I have a 3.6 GPA and let's say I get a 512-520 when I take my MCAT (I know I can). I love medicine. I always have, I just grew up around the wrong people. Medicines my passion and my dream is to become a doctor with an MD. I have worked very very hard to move on and overcome this adversity.
I have two main questions..
1) My strongest suite, my gift in life is perspective. I can see past any surface and place myself in anyone's shoes with no judgement or bias, and be able to fully understand them. I believe this is what will make me a great doctor. I have had deep conversations with people with nothing, addicts, murders who've lost their lives and will spend their last breath behind bars. I've also spent a lot of time with doctors, many whom are my friends, people who've accomplished nearly the most you can. My question(s) is, when writing my personal statement to Med-Schools; should I discuss my gift of perspective? Should I even bring it up? Will it possibly also serve to explain my record at the same time bright light to the matter?

2) My second main question is; Will I be able to get into med school With a felony (non-violent)? I've worked so hard and by the time I apply, this will be a good 5/6 years fully behind me.

I ask you to please consider all aspects and facts of my story, and answer without bias's of your own.

Thank you

Very impressive comeback story so far. You got this, keep it up.

You had your felony expunged; double check this and maybe consult a lawyer, but I believe the AAMC application allows you to answer that you were never convicted of a felony if you had it expunged: for many purposes, it's as if it never happened. You could also allude to 'experience in the criminal justice system' in your personal statement and expand upon it at interview. There are lots of places you could take this; you could definitely get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
You had your felony expunged; double check this and maybe consult a lawyer, but I believe the AAMC application allows you to answer that you were never convicted of a felony if you had it expunged: for many purposes, it's as if it never happened. You could also allude to 'experience in the criminal justice system' in your personal statement and expand upon it at interview. There are lots of places you could take this; you could definitely get into medical school.
Wow this was extremely helpful and frankly, uplifting. Thank you, I'll look into this for sure.

It sounds like you've come a long way, but mentioning a history of substance abuse & addiction in your applications will likely close doors. If I were you, I'd avoid disclosing that if at all possible.

Don't give adcoms any reason to think that admitting you is a risk. "Unique applicants" are good - "I'm concerned about future access to controlled substances" is not.