Can I get into a good dental school or even a dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Het.mehta

Reaction score
3.58 cuml. GPA, 3.37 sGPA. I have 4 publications as a first/second author, but also did get a C/ in Org Chem1/2. I have good shadowing hours and letters of rec, and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

3.58 cuml. GPA, 3.37 sGPA. I have 4 publications as a first/second author, but also did get a C/ in Org Chem1/2. I have good shadowing hours and letters of rec, and volunteering.
possibly...

Its hard for us to say anything definitive without a DAT score. However, your GPA is quite good in my opinion and plenty good enough to get into a dental school. Both of my GPAs were lower than yours and I actually had to retake orgo 1 once, but I currently attend a pretty high-stat dental school so anything is possible. I will say tho that I had to excel in my post-bacc and had a really high DAT to make it happen. Do well on the DAT (22+) and I think you'll have a lot of options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t submitted yet, but I will be soon
I hope you submitted to OSU. Their deadline was over 2 weeks ago.

EDIT: Mr. Smile is right. Gain more experience, apply early next cycle, and your chances will be way better.

Last edited:
Thank you for the details. Here are my thoughts.

1) Wait until next cycle. You have some things you need to catch up on. See next.

2) Volunteering: research is research, not volunteering... even if you didn't get paid. Animal shelter stuff is nice, but if you're not directly affecting the lives of humans and families, this is a little empty. Do some bonafide volunteering with communities in need that are totally different from what you are used to. Most people do soup kitchens/meal delivery, Habitat, Goodwill and the like. Suggesting at least 150 hours by the time you apply and continue it.

3) The Goldwater is interesting and suggests to me your GPA drop may be a little exaggerated. It also pegs you as having interest in a research career. Med school admissions teams are more used to seeing these type of scholarships, but it's not hard to look up or know what the Goldwater is about.

4) Do you have a dentist letter?

Reactions: 1 users

1) Wait until next cycle. You have some things you need to catch up on. See next.

2) Volunteering: research is research, not volunteering... even if you didn't get paid. Animal shelter stuff is nice, but if you're not directly affecting the lives of humans and families, this is a little empty. Do some bonafide volunteering with communities in need that are totally different from what you are used to. Most people do soup kitchens/meal delivery, Habitat, Goodwill and the like. Suggesting at least 150 hours by the time you apply and continue it.

3) The Goldwater is interesting and suggests to me your GPA drop may be a little exaggerated. It also pegs you as having interest in a research career. Med school admissions teams are more used to seeing these type of scholarships, but it's not hard to look up or know what the Goldwater is about.

Yes I do have a dentist letter.

!

Is there Ang thing else I should do

Retake Orgo and get a tutor. You may need to retake your DAT depending on your TS score. You may be able to bring up your AA if you get a higher OC. This will help you a lot.

Reactions: 1 user