Can I get an advice from current foreign dentists trying to come to the states ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for your time to read this page, I am in a phase of "what now", and its making me pretty stressful to think what i am suppose to for the future.
I am a recent college graduate who wants to pursue dentistry but my grades (under 3.0) isnt good enough to even apply. I did applied to some dental schools knowing i will get rejected but I happened to get accepted to a foreign dental school. I am excited yet i am super skeptical of going over seas and coming back to become a dentist in the states. With my gpa i would probably need to do more schooling here in the state and keep applying. (not sure how long it will take maybe 1 or 2 years, possibly get a master)
but if i go over sea i will studying dentistry and re doing dentistry here will gives me more experiences in terms of technique. the program over there is 4 years and towards the end my fourth year i can start applying to american dental school and have that smooth transition right after.

This wouldnt work if my grades arent good over seas but if i study my butt off. maybe ?
I thought maybe from dentists who are currently doing transition can give me an advice of rather to take this route.
Addition, oversea school starts in a month, where as extra schooling.. I would need to study for GRE and try to get into master's program/smp (using my dat) and have to wait an year since this cycle is over.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need 4.0 to get into IDP here, at least not now. In 4 years there might be that kind of competition, so make sure you get something close to 3.6-4.0, get involved in research. Try to get the best LOR possible