Can I get a "Letter of good standing" from a Hospital if I was on probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I need to provide a letter of good standing to the UK board, I was a obgyn resident in the US and had 2 accredited years but could not continue, I was placed on probation 2 times during this period due to performance issues, I tried really hard but I have an anxiety disorder that flourished during residency, which was extremely fast paced and non supportive. Now I want to do something not as stressful as obgyn, in Australia or the UK. One of the requirements is to present a letter of good standing from all your prior experience overseas. In my case, the state where I used to practice gives you license once you are in the 3rd year, therefore I cannot ask the state board, instead I must ask my prior department at the hospital for this letter, however I have no idea how to ask them, and if I can get one...my relationship with the chairman was acceptable-good but with the PD unfortunately it was not good. I would really appreciate any suggestions or anyone who ever asked for this letter and knows what information is addressed there, PLEASE!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I need to provide a letter of good standing to the UK board, I was a obgyn resident in the US and had 2 accredited years but could not continue, I was placed on probation 2 times during this period due to performance issues, I tried really hard but I have an anxiety disorder that flourished during residency, which was extremely fast paced and non supportive. Now I want to do something not as stressful as obgyn, in Australia or the UK. One of the requirements is to present a letter of good standing from all your prior experience overseas. In my case, the state where I used to practice gives you license once you are in the 3rd year, therefore I cannot ask the state board, instead I must ask my prior department at the hospital for this letter, however I have no idea how to ask them, and if I can get one...my relationship with the chairman was acceptable-good but with the PD unfortunately it was not good. I would really appreciate any suggestions or anyone who ever asked for this letter and knows what information is addressed there, PLEASE!
There's only one person that can answer this question for you. And I doubt s/he is on SDN.

They should write a letter that explained what happened. You were in training, you ran into problems, went on probation, and ultimately were non-renewed / resigned / fired / etc. Whether that's "good standing" or not is up to whomever is reading the letter.

Reactions: 1 user