"Can I get a doctor's note for..."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oo Cipher oO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we all have had requests from patients for doctor's note ranging from the routine to the absurd. What are the most unique or oddest requests you've had for documentation requiring your signature? Did you write it?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my most memorable was a patient with asthma that requested a letter she could take to her landlord because her neighbors were smoking pot. Patient states smoke would come though her thin walls into her room causing her to have an asthma exacerbation. She wanted a doctors note indicating the medical necessity of protecting her from this environmental hazard. She was hoping that the letter would help motivate her landlord to kick out the neighbors or reinforce the wall to stop the smoke from entering. I initially told the patient that I didn't think my note would help the way she thought it would but she persisted. Eventually I had the patient sign a disclosure form and I wrote a quick one paragraph letter general letter stating the patient had a medical condition that is benefited from limiting exposure to noxious stimulants. I signed the letter, gave it to the patient, and never heard back.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my patients wanted to be excused from jury duty because of excessive flatulence. I wrote the letter. No idea if it worked, but I hope for the sake of the other jurors that it did.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a patient tell me that he was applying for disability because he had celiac disease, and could I please sign his form. No.

Ironic thing was that I was orienting a new physician that week who has....celiac disease.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
One of my most memorable was a patient with asthma that requested a letter she could take to her landlord because her neighbors were smoking pot. Patient states smoke would come though her thin walls into her room causing her to have an asthma exacerbation. She wanted a doctors note indicating the medical necessity of protecting her from this environmental hazard. She was hoping that the letter would help motivate her landlord to kick out the neighbors or reinforce the wall to stop the smoke from entering. I initially told the patient that I didn't think my note would help the way she thought it would but she persisted. Eventually I had the patient sign a disclosure form and I wrote a quick one paragraph letter general letter stating the patient had a medical condition that is benefited from limiting exposure to noxious stimulants. I signed the letter, gave it to the patient, and never heard back.
I quoted my lease to the leasing agent for this very reason except I don't have asthma. I just didn't want to smell it haha.

I will gladly hold some of my patients out of jury duty and I look at as more of a public service, rather than getting them out of something.

Reactions: 2 users
We take care of the women at the local drug rehab facility where they are incarcerated. I get 3-5 requests a week for "bottom bunk" for any type of ailment. Granted they only climb up there to sleep at night. My MA has it down to tell them on intake that you better have a broken foot and be dragged in to ask CB for a bottom bunk note. Not gonna happen.

My most memorable note request was from a patient that ended up in jail. He called my office asking me for a letter stating that due to his chronic back pain, the concrete bed in his cell was hurting him and he should be released from jail so he could sleep in his home...:laugh: Nice try.

Reactions: 2 users