Can I be a surgeon with Carpal Tunnel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inTHEsiders

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have mild carpal tunnel. When I say mild I mean it basically onset. The symptoms have just started up about a month ago and flare up only after a couple hours of gaming and its not too bad when it does flare up. Would this prevent me from becoming a surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

It is not unusual for surgeons to develop carpal tunnel problems and even require surgery for it, so this in itself does not "prevent" you from being a surgeon. It would depend on how well you can function. As a premed, you have years before you'd have to decide on a specialty and assess whether you have the aptitude for surgery or not; you may find that you are more suited to another specialty altogether. Also realize that carpal tunnel is common, and that with EMRs and use of computers, this issue can affect physicians across the board.

Moved to pre-allo as the OP is pre-med.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Actually have carpal tunnel
2) Get carpal tunnel release
3) Become surgeon and perform releases yourself
4) Win the game

Members don't see this ad :)
do you actually have carpal tunnel syndrome or do you have "carpal tunnel syndrome"

Like everything, it depends on the severity. Can you hold a pen? Can you write for 5-10 hours with it? Its questions like this you need to ask yourself

Give up gaming.

Reactions: 2 users
short answer is no. you need your hands im sure :)

Do keep in mind that only about 5% of every med school class (Albany to Yale, U WA to U Miami) ends up in General Surgery.

So I have mild carpal tunnel. When I say mild I mean it basically onset. The symptoms have just started up about a month ago and flare up only after a couple hours of gaming and its not too bad when it does flare up. Would this prevent me from becoming a surgeon?

Reactions: 2 users
I had my left carpal tunnel released about 3 years ago; it was getting to the point where I was losing strength and my nerve conduction was significantly delayed. I was almost immediately back to normal after the CTR.

Having CTS won't stop you from any medical career as long as you treat it.

Reactions: 1 user