Can Egyptian student get a NS residency in US ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Lord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody
This is my first post in this great forum. I have always been a good follower to the forum but never participated.
My name is Mohamed , I am from Egypt in final year of Med School. I HOPE to get a NS Residency in the US , as I hear it's quite impossible to get and many friends advised me to forget this dream and stop being romantic.
I don't know, that kind of makes me want it more , I am planning to do NS electives in 2 or 3 US Universities like Yale , Mount Sinai. I intend to take the USMLE in my internship year and I hope to get a high score.
I don't have any financial problem , I am willing to get any no. of NS electives as possible if that can actually helps.
If anybody can give me his/her perspective about what is actually required, I would be more than thankful to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why everyone else is so dismissive. They may, inevitably, be right, but it isn't impossible.

Firstly, you will need to take the USMLE prior to internship. It is unlikely to get a training license in the US without USMLE 1, 2CK, and 2CS, especially if you aren't licensed/board certified in another country.

The clinical electives are important to establish the ability to work within the US medical system. It might be worth doing a non-neurosurgery elective first to learn the ropes. Each hospital is quite different and many US students struggle with this. As a student, it is hard to show that you are superior to another applicant on an elective, so this may be a bit of a limited opportunity.

I've seen FMG's match into top programs, even recently (JHU, Wash U). These guys all sacrificed 3-6 years to do research post-graduation on top of taking their Step 1/2. Not impossible by any means if you're willing to sacrifice the time.

Try posting your question here : http://uncleharvey.com/

good luck

I think foreign medical school graduates have a regular, albeit smaller, place in the matching process. For instance, the sticky at the top of this forum, entitled facts and figures, show a percentage of foreign matched neurosurg residents. :)

i hv jst done my graduation MBBS from pakistan ....i want to get reisdency in UAE ...what is the excat procedure ...where should i apply? what exams i need to take,and what are chances to get reisdency in UAE ????
PLZ guide me in detail....