Can Dentist Have Medical Marijuana Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Husamalir

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a D1 student who currently has a MM card and I go to school where weed is legal. However, I was wondering if having a MM card affects my ability to get licensed in the future. Been searching the internet for a few days and don't really see anything.

Only worry would be getting my DEA number and I'm not sure if having a card would affect that. My card will expire before graduation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would think not, however I queried the DEA and will post their reply when received.

Members don't see this ad :)
What you should be more concerned about is whether you are practicing under the influence of some type of psychoactive substance. For example, a DUI doesn't pertain just to alcohol, it can also be other substances. Just because possession and consumption is legal in your state, you should really consider whether you are impaired during the practice of dentistry and its legal/ethical implications. IANAL, so go ask one just to make sure.

Reactions: 1 user
You might need to talk about that with your college administration to find out what they think about that. But I wouldn’t dare to have it because it’s still uncertain what the reaction will be, and it might also influence your future employment.
Weed is legal in Canada, and you might still get it in some other way if you really need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all. I'm a D1 student who currently has a MM card and I go to school where weed is legal. However, I was wondering if having a MM card affects my ability to get licensed in the future. Been searching the internet for a few days and don't really see anything.

Only worry would be getting my DEA number and I'm not sure if having a card would affect that. My card will expire before graduation. Thanks!
Ditch the weed. In professional circles there is definitely a perception that marijuana breeds a culture of laziness. I do not think I would work with someone who smokes marijuana.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Ditch the weed. In professional circles there is definitely a perception that marijuana breeds a culture of laziness. I do not think I would work with someone who smokes marijuana.
It's not the 1950s, I can guarantee that you already work with people who do. I would keep it on the DL for sure though.

Reactions: 9 users
It's not the 1950s, I can guarantee that you already work with people who do. I would keep it on the DL for sure though.
I can guarantee that the hyper successful dentists I know do not smoke marijuana.

I can guarantee that the hyper successful dentists I know do not smoke marijuana.
I can bet you're wrong. My stepdad who owns his own dental practice and his associate both smoke weed and I smoke with them (D1)

Reactions: 1 user
I can bet you're wrong. My stepdad who owns his own dental practice and his associate both smoke weed and I smoke with them (D1)
Let me know who they are so I can know not to work with them.

Let me know who they are so I can know not to work with them.
What with your incessant use of the term "shucking wizzies" and a general terrible attitude, I think you may find others avoiding you

Reactions: 9 users
While I don't have specific information about how it may impact your ability to get a DEA number or become licensed, it's always a good idea to consult with your school and any relevant licensing boards to get more clarity on this topic.
I would not consult with your school.

No need to give them any information regarding your personal marijuana usage.

you can definitely just email the licensing boards if you really want to