This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StuckWithThis

Reaction score
Hello!! I am currently freaking out a bit regarding my English Credits required for Medical School.

So I'm in my last year of College, I graduate in the Fall of 2021, but I do plan on entering the cycle for 2022 and take my MCAT this semester. Though I am just realizing that I don't believe I have the 6 credit hours in English required by most medical schools.

My core curriculum consisted of Communications where I have taken Foundations of Communication (Comm 1311) and Writing and Rhetoric (Engl 1302). I don't know if both don't count as English or if just the Writing and Rhetoric counts which would put me at 3 credit hours. I'm extremely concerned, for this entire time I believed I was fine and fit the requirements needed. Now as school starts on Monday I decided to look over my schedule and look at Medical School Prerequisites only to find 6 credit hours for English are required for medical school and what I have may not count (Which is COMM).
Another thing to note is that when I was in my freshman year, they sort of counted the COMM 1311 class I have with ENGL 1301 as together with English, but not entirely sure if Medical Schools will accept it. My school sort of accepted it at the time and it's fulfilled my "basics".

I have emailed some Medical Schools, but only heard back one response, but it was just the link to the Pre-Requisites of the school and didn't provide much with that.

I know I'm at fault for not paying more attention and realizing at the last second, I know that I should have double checked before. Is anyone willing to give me some advice? If it doesn't count should I take it right this semester or would I be able to for Summer?

Is there anything else I can do? Do you guys think that medical schools can accept it or are they strict about this? I don't know, I'm sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!! I am currently freaking out a bit regarding my English Credits required for Medical School.

So I'm in my last year of College, I graduate in the Fall of 2021, but I do plan on entering the cycle for 2022 and take my MCAT this semester. Though I am just realizing that I don't believe I have the 6 credit hours in English required by most medical schools.

My core curriculum consisted of Communications where I have taken Foundations of Communication (Comm 1311) and Writing and Rhetoric (Engl 1302). I don't know if both don't count as English or if just the Writing and Rhetoric counts which would put me at 3 credit hours. I'm extremely concerned, for this entire time I believed I was fine and fit the requirements needed. Now as school starts on Monday I decided to look over my schedule and look at Medical School Prerequisites only to find 6 credit hours for English are required for medical school and what I have may not count (Which is COMM).
Another thing to note is that when I was in my freshman year, they sort of counted the COMM 1311 class I have with ENGL 1301 as together with English, but not entirely sure if Medical Schools will accept it. My school sort of accepted it at the time and it's fulfilled my "basics".

I have emailed some Medical Schools, but only heard back one response, but it was just the link to the Pre-Requisites of the school and didn't provide much with that.

I know I'm at fault for not paying more attention and realizing at the last second, I know that I should have double checked before. Is anyone willing to give me some advice? If it doesn't count should I take it right this semester or would I be able to for Summer?

Is there anything else I can do? Do you guys think that medical schools can accept it or are they strict about this? I don't know, I'm sorry.
Nobody on SDN knows. This will be school-specific, so the best advice would be to ask schools you are planning on applying to. If they are all good, so are you. If not, you'll either start striking them off your list or figure out how to pick up the credits.

The good news is that you have PLENTY of time. You only have to satisfy prereqs before you enroll, not before you apply. So, if you need more credits, you can pick them up now, next summer, next fall, or even next spring. It's 3 credits, not the end of the world. My advice, beyond asking the schools, is to ask your premed advising office. Surely you are not the first person from your UG to apply to med school! Good luck.