Can anyone shed light on UMDNJ Dental Masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celtics-42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how successful the GSBS-Newark Dental Scholars Program is in matriculating its students in dental schools. Also, I would like to complete the degree in one year so how would the workload be like. I am a NJ resident graduating this May, currently have a 2.8 sGPA and 3.15 cGPA, still waiting on my fall semester GPA update. Still have 15 credits worth of science classes still remaining in the spring semester. Thanks for any feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm about to start my second semester in the dental scholars program. As far as I know, over the last decade or so the matriculation rate of students going from the program to dental school is roughly 65% (I may be off with that number, they tend to breeze through that info when it's asked). That's one of the reasons why I was slightly leaning toward another program that claimed 80% from the previous year in which I applied. However I chose to attend this program and so far it's been pretty good for me. I know quite a few dental scholars that were granted interviews during their first semester last fall and most of them got in (out of maybe 9 people I know, one got waitlisted and the other didn't get any acceptances). I don't know if they had out of this world stats or anything like that but I definitely think the fact they were enrolled in this program helped a little. I'm on track to finish this program in 3 semesters (I didn't want to rush it in one year as I wanted to make sure I did well). I got a 4.0 this semester and I expect to do similarly in my last two semesters. I know a few people that are on track to finish this program in a year, there are definitely more. Their workload is definitely insane. Most of them (the few I personally know) are handling it well but only just (A's or borderline in most classes, as far as I know).

I don't think you should aim to do this program in a year unless you are planning to apply the same year that you start the program. Are you planning to apply when you start the program or apply the following cycle? That's extremely important. The people I know on track to do this in a year all applied during the 2015 cycle (right before they started gsbs). The downside to this is that most schools won't wait for your first semester grades from the program so all you'll have to go on are your credentials from beforehand plus the fact that you are simply enrolled in this program with whichever classes you're registered for. Most single years took around 13-14 credits for the fall semester and their following credits will all be dictated by whether or not they obtain admission to dental school (most of them have been). In this scenario, if you get in, then you can deduct 6 remaining credits and have 6 credits of courses from your first semester in dental school replace that. This would leave you with only 7-8 credits needed for the spring. If you don't get in then you may want to heavily consider lessening your workload in order to finish the program in 3 semesters. This is how a lot of 1-year students are planning to do this. I don't want to burden you with too much info but if you have any questions let me know!

Hi. I'm about to start my second semester in the dental scholars program. As far as I know, over the last decade or so the matriculation rate of students going from the program to dental school is roughly 65% (I may be off with that number, they tend to breeze through that info when it's asked). That's one of the reasons why I was slightly leaning toward another program that claimed 80% from the previous year in which I applied. However I chose to attend this program and so far it's been pretty good for me. I know quite a few dental scholars that were granted interviews during their first semester last fall and most of them got in (out of maybe 9 people I know, one got waitlisted and the other didn't get any acceptances). I don't know if they had out of this world stats or anything like that but I definitely think the fact they were enrolled in this program helped a little. I'm on track to finish this program in 3 semesters (I didn't want to rush it in one year as I wanted to make sure I did well). I got a 4.0 this semester and I expect to do similarly in my last two semesters. I know a few people that are on track to finish this program in a year, there are definitely more. Their workload is definitely insane. Most of them (the few I personally know) are handling it well but only just (A's or borderline in most classes, as far as I know).

I don't think you should aim to do this program in a year unless you are planning to apply the same year that you start the program. Are you planning to apply when you start the program or apply the following cycle? That's extremely important. The people I know on track to do this in a year all applied during the 2015 cycle (right before they started gsbs). The downside to this is that most schools won't wait for your first semester grades from the program so all you'll have to go on are your credentials from beforehand plus the fact that you are simply enrolled in this program with whichever classes you're registered for. Most single years took around 13-14 credits for the fall semester and their following credits will all be dictated by whether or not they obtain admission to dental school (most of them have been). In this scenario, if you get in, then you can deduct 6 remaining credits and have 6 credits of courses from your first semester in dental school replace that. This would leave you with only 7-8 credits needed for the spring. If you don't get in then you may want to heavily consider lessening your workload in order to finish the program in 3 semesters. This is how a lot of 1-year students are planning to do this. I don't want to burden you with too much info but if you have any questions let me know!
Is it really THAT much work to complete it in 1 year? Did the students that decided to complete the program in a year end up keeping high grades? How difficult are the classes? I was accepted into the program and would like to do it in a year and apply this upcoming cycle to dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is it really THAT much work to complete it in 1 year? Did the students that decided to complete the program in a year end up keeping high grades? How difficult are the classes? I was accepted into the program and would like to do it in a year and apply this upcoming cycle to dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats on the acceptance! Sorry for the late reply. Midterms and a week and a half at home distracted me last month.
Yes, it is that much work to complete in a year. That is, if you want to do relatively well and not fall into a money-eating system where you're spat out into a place you started in before the program. A good portion of the students I know that are completing the program by the end of this semester (for 1 year) have very good GPAs. At the least a 3.5 for the ones that I know. Since you're starting the program this fall and applying to dental school this cycle, there are three possibilities of what can happen for you:
*Remember these are all HYPOTHETICAL. Any one person controls their own fate. This is just the trend I've seen*

A: You get in, and the program you're interested in informs you that you don't have to complete the masters to matriculate in. So you decide sayonara gsbs program. Woohoo dental school! No one I know here has chosen this route...highly tempting though.

B: You get in, and since this program allows for 6 of the credits that you earn in dental school to count for towards masters degree, you'll only have to complete 24 credits between both semesters. Most student take 13-15 credits the first semester. A friend of mine took 13 first semester and even though he would have had 17 credits left, he was able to get into dental school so he's only taking 11 credits now.

C: You don't get in and you're still hell bent on finishing the program in a year. Most likely, you've probably taken 13 credits for the fall with the hope that you'd get in. This means that you'll either have to bare 17 credits for the spring, or take less and stick around for an additional semester so that your GPA won't go down the toilet.

Difficulty of the classes is subjective. You'll hardly find any "easy" classes to take here. Rumors do fly out though of a class or two that are, but then again they are just RUMORS. One's prior background of the subject, ability to comprehend new material, efficiency at studying, and time management really determine the difficulty of any one class. In general, I haven't found any of my classes to be unfairly difficult. It's a higher level of learning above undergrad with a higher expectation from the professors. However, the exams are fair for the most part. Personally, I end up over-studying the majority of the time since it is a lot of information to go through and can be tricky determining what's important to know and what's not.

If you've got the adequate focus to do well here as well as a heart-of-a-lion determination within you, then you can definitely do this in a year, do well, and be on your way towards dental school. Just remember, this program is only a portion of what's representative on your application. Will killing it in grad classes help you look better? Heck yeah. But it's ultimately up to how you present yourself in every capacity to the admissions board, both on paper and in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user