Can anyone help me? I don't know what field to choose!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KisinnMikki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I've been extremely indecisive the past couple of months about what I want to study. I know for sure that I want to study something in the health field, there's no question about it. I have already finished one and a half year studying psychology, but then I realised that it wasn't for me since I love facts and personally, I don't think there is enough certainty in that subject.

I have always leaned towards going to medical school but I just dread the thought of long work hours and the fact that I'd always be on call. So I was considering dentistry or physical therapy. I know those fields aren't similar, but I would help me so much if I could get some opinions. I can't shadow health care professionals in my country so you guys would be an enormous help!

I've always been very much into general health and I've always been into sports. So, I thought physical therapy might be a good option since you work with the body and help people gain something they've lost and/or never really had (specific movements and such). You don't always see results right away and it might take weeks or even months for someone to gain ability- which is off-putting for me since I'm quite impatient.

I'll be honest, I've never really considered dentistry since I never thought I'd be into it. But now, I'm looking at the programs and how it all works and I think it's very exciting! I've always wanted to be a surgeon. I'm not grossed out about pus, blood or anything like that. I've always been an artist, I love drawing (but I only seem to be good at it when I have something in front of me to draw after, can't really draw as well on my own- but I'm not terrible at it either). I'm a huge perfectionist- but I must admit, sometimes I lose all faith in myself if things aren't "perfect" (maybe not the best trait). But maybe dentistry is a good balance? I kind of get to be a surgeon, I get to help people, it takes skill and fine movements to do the things dentists do- It's a challenge, but definitely a fun one.

Both fields excite me- Can you guys help me with my indecisiveness?

Thank you and have a great day!

P.s. I'm sorry for any typos or grammatical errors. English isn't my first language.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing is really the best way, but as you said you can't. Ultimately, you should pick what you love the most, but I think you need more research. None of the fields you have selected are easy. They will all require long hours and dedication. Only you can make the best decision for you. I would try to find videos or blogs about "a day in the life of a dentist/physical therapist/etc." best of luck to you!

Shadowing is really the best way, but as you said you can't. Ultimately, you should pick what you love the most, but I think you need more research. None of the fields you have selected are easy. They will all require long hours and dedication. Only you can make the best decision for you. I would try to find videos or blogs about "a day in the life of a dentist/physical therapist/etc." best of luck to you!
Yes, definitely. I wish I were able to shadow someone, it would change so much regarding this terrible indecisiveness hehe. I definitely agree, both fields are very hard and require enormous amount of work. But I'm definitely willing dedicate myself to it. I'll certainly check out some video and/or blogs. Thanks for the idea and the reply! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to the people in these field if you can't shadow that would be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your country have a ban on shadowing?
Hmm, it's not necessarily banned but it's just not done over here. I have no idea why, since it's a very clever thing to do and probably helps out a lot of people that are trying to figure out what they want to do in the future.

Hmm, it's not necessarily banned but it's just not done over here. I have no idea why, since it's a very clever thing to do and probably helps out a lot of people that are trying to figure out what they want to do in the future.
You could end being a trendsetter.

You'll be surprised at how many people enjoy teaching. Reach out to those around you and I'm sure someone will be willing to give you a "tour" vs "shadow."