Can anyone give some perspective on a supplemental essay Q? Promise it'll just take a moment of your time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al53211

Reaction score
I am writing a secondary essay that regards overcoming a challenging nonacademic experience. One of the most difficult moments in my life was when I was a camp counselor and I lost an 8-year old boy as my group went for a hike in the woods. There is much more detail to this but as hard as his death was, I learned so much about myself and the kind of physician I wish to become. I highlighted this event in my primary application as well though. I was perfectly fine with repeating this (because it was only briefly summarized in the primary introduction) plus I get to elaborate more on what happened, how I felt, and how I overcame.

The problem is, there is a 300 word limit and I feel like I can't answer this entirely within those limits. I mean I kind of was able to, but it sounds really repetitive of how I described it in my personal statement, with just a slight amount of more detail.

I have other obstacles, but if this is the supplemental and my chance to describe a challenging experience, I want to write about my most challenging. Is that foolish to almost repeat it again from my primary? Should I write about another challenge or something?

It's Oklahoma state

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I think it would be fine. I took lots of stuff from my primary app (personal statement) that I put into my secondaries, and many of my friends did too. Never came up as a red flag.