can anyone give me list of FMG friendly pediatric program list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i m an fmg. i was trying to find few fmg friendly peds programs . anyone has info?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pediatrics is pretty wide-open for IMGs:

Residents
Total number of active residents/fellows 7,773
Average number of residents/fellows 38.4
Average percent female 66.7%
Average percent international medical graduates 29.5%

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,320,00.html

So long as you don't expect to go to Boston Children's, Baylor, or CHOP, then you should just apply far and wide and hope for the best. Programs to concentrate are cities anywhere in the northern midwest (e.g., Detroit, etc.) or in smaller, community-based programs. Typically, the large coastal cities that have strong university-based programs are going to be the most competitive.

Good luck!

-Skip

IMGs get into even the topped ranked pedi programs

Members don't see this ad :)
retroviridae said:
IMGs get into even the topped ranked pedi programs

Maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily characterize them as "FMG friendly".

-Skip

hi guys
thanks for replying
well i have got 99 in step 1 and 94 in step 2 i have done MD pediatrics in my country....i m a greencard holder. i may not be ecfmg certified at time of applying and have no clinical experience in US and till now no US LORS. i have lors from top accademitions of my country. i am interested in doing fellowship.

can u name top 20 programs i should apply to?

i will be more then greatful

thanks guys again in advance

drv said:

1 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
2 Children's Hospital Boston
3 Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4 Texas Children's Hospital, Houston
5 Children's Hospital of New York-Presbyterian
6 Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland
7 Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati
8 Children's Hospital, Denver
9 Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago
10 Children's National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
11 University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
12 Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, Palo Alto, Calif.
13 Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
14 Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
15 Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA, Los Angeles
16 Children's Hospital and Medical Center, Seattle
17 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
18 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
19 St. Louis Children's Hospital
20 St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis

Skip Intro said:
Maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily characterize them as "FMG friendly".

-Skip

true

If you have a specialty certification in peds, you can petition the board of pediatrics to waive one year of your residency (if you do a fellowship afterwards. They do require a minimum of 3 years experience, but if you have a certification from your home country, you can shave off a year of the residency itself).

Aim high. With your 99score, green-card and prior experience, you don't have to scavenge at the lower end of the list.

Don't wait for the match, contact programs ahead of time. You have the ability to start without delay, some programs have openings in the middle of the year from residents leaving to pursue other specialties.

drv said:
hi guys
thanks for replying
well i have got 99 in step 1 and 94 in step 2 i have done MD pediatrics in my country....i m a greencard holder. i may not be ecfmg certified at time of applying and have no clinical experience in US and till now no US LORS. i have lors from top accademitions of my country. i am interested in doing fellowship.

i will be more then greatful

thanks guys again in advance

Not that you asked...but you might consider broadening your applications beyond the "top 20". These are highly sought after residencies by most applicants and one of the most common reasons people don't match is that they underapply or overestimate how competitive they are. IMHO you should look beyond the top ranked and find some which are more FMG friendly (which is what your original question was...most of the Top 20 would NOT be considered FMG friendly, even for Peds).

That is not to say that f_w is incorrect; your scores and greencard along with previous experience does make you a desirable candidate. But NOTHING is guaranteed. If you get your ECMFG certificate before the match starts, you could find a position and start earlier as he suggests.

hi guys thanks for replies

yes i know i should not be overambitious.........thats why i said top 20 programs i shoould apply to...meaning top 20 for me not for AMGs OR GUYS WHO HAVE US clinical experience. sorry if my previous post was misleading

thanks guys/........any advise is welcome

drv said:
hi guys thanks for replies

yes i know i should not be overambitious.........thats why i said top 20 programs i shoould apply to...meaning top 20 for me not for AMGs OR GUYS WHO HAVE US clinical experience. sorry if my previous post was misleading

thanks guys/........any advise is welcome

Ahhh...that clarifies things as we assumed you meant Top 20 ranked/prestigious programs.

There are so many factors besides "numbers" which go into residency selection: where you want to live, do you want a community type practice, or a more academic/research based one, how large of a city, etc.? I would suggest checking out the Peds Forum here as they might be of more assistance.

FWIW, a Ross graduate matched at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. this year, which is number 10 on that list. So, it can be done.

Good luck,

-Skip

I just wanted to make an addendum to this old thread by the request of one of the junior members. Pediatrics these days is a more competitive specialty but it is still one of the main deomains where IMGs do match. These are about 100 programs as per the applicantguide residency site (google applicantguide pediatrics) that match IMGs each year. Increasingly in the last few years the program directors are favouring applicants with previous experience back home, green card holders and those who have LORs from ACGME certified programs. Most PDs will look into the applications sent in the first 2 weeks of the ERAS season. Starting this year no more prematches will be given hence the impact on the post match scramble will be in favour of the AMGs who couldn't get a position through the match.