Can any medical student with drive and ambition become a neurosurgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor317

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or do you need to have some kind god given talent, like the ability to stand for long periods of time, have a steady hand, require little sleep, not be left handed, or etc......

Basically I love neuroscience and surgery but am not sure if I have enough confidence in my body to go through with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Or do you need to have some kind god given talent, like the ability to stand for long periods of time, have a steady hand, require little sleep, not be left handed, or etc......

Basically I love neuroscience and surgery but am not sure if I have enough confidence in my body to go through with it.

The talent required is less god given and more god like..

Seriously though, do a rotation and see if you can handle it.

The talent required is less god given and more god like..

Seriously though, do a rotation and see if you can handle it.

Hahaha I love that answer. Unfortunately I got screwed with my schedule and got stuck with a very early elective. Idk if doing a neurosurgery rotation before general surgery or internal medicine is a good idea since I would probably look like an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha I love that answer. Unfortunately I got screwed with my schedule and got stuck with a very early elective. Idk if doing a neurosurgery rotation before general surgery or internal medicine is a good idea since I would probably look like an idiot.

Is it a graded elective or is it just a couple weeks? If it is the latter, you really won't be expected to know anything until you come back as a sub-i.

Not every med student can become a neurosurgeon, even with drive and ambition. There is a stratification amongst medical students just as there is undergraduate students. Some just do not possess the academic qualifications required to get your foot in the door.