Can Any Body Please Help Me In Guidance For National Dental Boards Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danyjose

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hai
i am planning to write the ndbe part 1,,i applied for the computerexam and planning to write in august is it possible?can any body tell me how long my application is valied,and ..i have kaplan materials of usmle for basic science...is that OK TO STUDY for the part one..i just got it from one of my medical freinds..please do help me with my queries..please any body guide me how to study for the exam,i bought releases and dental deck...i am reall out of my subject and a bit poor in biochemistry,,can any body help me please
this exam is really important for me,,please i neeed any body to guide me,i am living in toronto on a student visa.i would really appreciate if any one could help me guide me through,GOD BLESS

Members don't see this ad.

hi there,
u have all the material that u need for part 1..if u have usmle material means u all set..nwo all u need to do is study them really well...and yes u can give the exam in august..if u are focused enough..biochmistry..kaplan for usmle is more than enough but u do not need to read medical genetics..so u can conveniently avoid it..ther is a book called LIpincott for biochem ..whcih is very gud for reference..hope this helps..
danyjose said:
hai
i am planning to write the ndbe part 1,,i applied for the computerexam and planning to write in august is it possible?can any body tell me how long my application is valied,and ..i have kaplan materials of usmle for basic science...is that OK TO STUDY for the part one..i just got it from one of my medical freinds..please do help me with my queries..please any body guide me how to study for the exam,i bought releases and dental deck...i am reall out of my subject and a bit poor in biochemistry,,can any body help me please
this exam is really important for me,,please i neeed any body to guide me,i am living in toronto on a student visa.i would really appreciate if any one could help me guide me through,GOD BLESS

hai ,,
thanks a lot...paaanchi...can i ask one more thing,i have sent documents to ece,,and applied for exams.now wat happens next,,,

ok..
u ahve applied to ECE for evaluation..u get ur GPA and i hope u aware of the fact that u need to get ur general and course by course GPA done..coz schools ask for both..
and since u have already applied for exam..i assume its computerised..so u will recieve a letter from them..which will have all the information ..then u call up the prometric and schedule ur exam(onc u are done studying)so now all u can do is start stuyding..gud luck..
hope this helps..
danyjose said:
hai ,,
thanks a lot...paaanchi...can i ask one more thing,i have sent documents to ece,,and applied for exams.now wat happens next,,,

Members don't see this ad :)
you are wrong panchhi..as schools ask for "course-by-course "evaluation only!they never ask for general evaluation report...it holds good only for applying for the exam!

panchhi said:
ok..
u ahve applied to ECE for evaluation..u get ur GPA and i hope u aware of the fact that u need to get ur general and course by course GPA done..coz schools ask for both..
QUOTE]

ok but at the end u need to get both done..so its the same thing..
panchhi.
fido! said:
you are wrong panchhi..as schools ask for "course-by-course "evaluation only!they never ask for general evaluation report...it holds good only for applying for the exam!

panchhi said:
ok..
QUOTE]

...WELL!NOT REALLY....! ;)
panchhi said:
panchhi.
fido! said:

panchhi said:
panchhi.
fido! said:

Nops. If you get a C by C evaluation done then it will be good for both ADA and schools. I got both General & CBC evaluation done and learnt hard way not to waste money! :(

rahmed

PRECISELY....!AS I HAD GOT MY COURSE-BY-COURSE EVAL DONE ONLY....IT WAS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT..!I GUESS I SAVED A FEW BUCKS.... :laugh: :smuggrin:
rahmed said:
panchhi said:
panchhi.

Nops. If you get a C by C evaluation done then it will be good for both ADA and schools. I got both General & CBC evaluation done and learnt hard way not to waste money! :(

rahmed

fido! said:
PRECISELY....!AS I HAD GOT MY COURSE-BY-COURSE EVAL DONE ONLY....IT WAS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT..!I GUESS I SAVED A FEW BUCKS.... :laugh: :smuggrin: save money ,do course by course ,same here

mekha said:
fido! said:
PRECISELY....!AS I HAD GOT MY COURSE-BY-COURSE EVAL DONE ONLY....IT WAS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT..!I GUESS I SAVED A FEW BUCKS.... :laugh: :smuggrin:
save money ,do course by course ,same here

I can confirm this as well.. ADA accepts the c-by-c report

hi,

i have a doubt regarding ordering copies of course by course evaluation report.So as you told we may require only course by course report,and by that fees they will be sending us 2 copies...from which one we can ask them to send to ADA...

what did you do for copies for schools?do we have to send the address of schools to ece while applying itself ?do we have to decide before writing the exam itself how many school we are planning to apply and which all??what did you all do?please help....

Also after the ece sends the reports to schools how long will the schools keep our reports with them?is it necessary that we have to apply soon after that?

fido! said:

panchhi said:
ok..
QUOTE]

u can go on their website.www.ece.org
and click copy request on main page.u can put all ur information online and pay by credit card.u can even order copies by phone.u need credit card for it too.or u can mail them the request.
it usually takes 3-4 weeks for the request to process.
hope this helps..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks starbucksfan,

so you meant to tell that we can send the ece report ourselves to the schools with the application and there is no need to ask the ece to do so....

also there is no need to request for extra copies at the time of application for the ece report and we can do so when we have to apply to schools....

please correct me if i am wrong...

starbucksfan said:
u can go on their website.www.ece.org
and click copy request on main page.u can put all ur information online and pay by credit card.u can even order copies by phone.u need credit card for it too.or u can mail them the request.
it usually takes 3-4 weeks for the request to process.
hope this helps..

actually...some schools ask you to to request the ece to send the copies directly to them!no need to order extra copies as u dont know how many schools you are gonna apply!place the order when the right time comes! ;)
rakhi said:
Thanks starbucksfan,

so you meant to tell that we can send the ece report ourselves to the schools with the application and there is no need to ask the ece to do so....

also there is no need to request for extra copies at the time of application for the ece report and we can do so when we have to apply to schools....

please correct me if i am wrong...

fido is right.some schools ask for the reports to be sent directly to them so u just put in the information of the school.u can do it when u are applying to any particular school.b'cos u have to ask for the score report and toefl reports to be sent to the schools directly.go one per school.

rakhi said:
hi,

what did you do for copies for schools?do we have to send the address of schools to ece while applying itself ?do we have to decide before writing the exam itself how many school we are planning to apply and which all??what did you all do?please help....

Also after the ece sends the reports to schools how long will the schools keep our reports with them?is it necessary that we have to apply soon after that?

ECE will mail as many copies as you want to your address. I did that and just included a copy with each application package.

Thanks fido,starbucksfan and herodontist for your input...

So i guess we can enter the addresses to which copies has to be sent when we request for them from ece later.

thanks a lot once again.

herodontist said:
rakhi said:
hi,

ECE will mail as many copies as you want to your address. I did that and just included a copy with each application package.

hi guys
pls advice me how to start the preparations for US part 1 dental exam.I am totally tensed up..pls give me some confidence to begin with...I got decks 2004 and some text books.I have registered for computer exam,2 weeks ago.. still not heard from them.I would like to know more about the materials and syllabus too.
thax everyone..

hey everybody:

I am too preparing to retake Part I after a looooong time. I was reading the info on the ADA website and found that we are allowed to take CBT only 2 times a year....I did not know that, I always thought you could take it as many times as needed as long as we waited 90 days between tries....
Also, beginning from 2007 only CBT will be given...no more written test. They also mention changes in the format (more clinical applied questions).
Maybe I was the only one not aware of this but I wanted to share...
Good luck to all with your prep....

HAI
I HAD ONLY SEND ECE FOR A GENERAL EVALUATION REPORT TO BE SENT TO THE ADA....NOW WAT CAN I DO...IT WAS SAID THAT GENERAL WAS OK FOIR WRITING THE EXAMS,,NOW I HAVE TO TAKE MY COURSE BY COURSE AGAIN OR IS IT OK IF I TAKE MY COURSE MY COURSE WHENY DO APLLY SCHOOLS AFTER I GET MY PART ONE SCORE////I HAVE ONLY SUBMITTED MY marklist and CERTIFICATES..PLAESE CAN ANY BODY ADVICE ME...I AM ALL ALONE IN CANADA DONT HAVE ANY ONE TO ASK....AND ITS ALL MY HARD ERANED MONEY IA M PUTTING TO IT..PLEASE DO HELP ME..IS IT OK THAT I DO COURSE BY COURSE REPORT AFTER I GET MY SCORE OF PART ONE TO APLLY TO SCHOOLS OR FOR WRITING THE EXAMS U NEED COURSE BY COURSE

danyjose said:
HAI
I HAD ONLY SEND ECE FOR A GENERAL EVALUATION REPORT TO BE SENT TO THE ADA....NOW WAT CAN I DO...IT WAS SAID THAT GENERAL WAS OK FOIR WRITING THE EXAMS,,NOW I HAVE TO TAKE MY COURSE BY COURSE AGAIN OR IS IT OK IF I TAKE MY COURSE MY COURSE WHENY DO APLLY SCHOOLS AFTER I GET MY PART ONE SCORE////I HAVE ONLY SUBMITTED MY marklist and CERTIFICATES..PLAESE CAN ANY BODY ADVICE ME...I AM ALL ALONE IN CANADA DONT HAVE ANY ONE TO ASK....AND ITS ALL MY HARD ERANED MONEY IA M PUTTING TO IT..PLEASE DO HELP ME..IS IT OK THAT I DO COURSE BY COURSE REPORT AFTER I GET MY SCORE OF PART ONE TO APLLY TO SCHOOLS OR FOR WRITING THE EXAMS U NEED COURSE BY COURSE

Yes. c by c evaluation can be done after you receive your Part I score.

rahmed

Hi
Is It Not Ok If We Submit The Notarized Copy Of The Report,with The Application????

hai all
am actually very poor in biochemistry and basics,,,should i read the text and spend time on it or just trust the decks and the releases

hi,

1) i would like to know whether there are any colleges which accept WES report now...[or all have changed to ECE? :confused: ]

2) will there be of any use if i get my wes report also done along with my ece report?[if by any chance my ece gpa turn out to be low!!! :scared: ]

3) Also how did you all ask our universities in home country to send the marklist directly to wes[when we are here in us?] :confused: ,i feel its very difficult to get something like that done from India...please advice....

4) is it necessary to send the copy of degree certificate also to ECE?or just copy of provisional degree certificate is enough?

5) i dont have my university degree certificate here with me at present....i have all other documents [including provisional degree certificate] attested by the dean of our college...is it enough that the copy of degree certificate be attested by any other government official in India...if at all i need to get a copy of it mailed to me from india?

i am sorry if you have already discussed about these earlier...i am confused with these now as i am waiting to send my transcripts for the report...

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Actually i think only a few schools ask for C by C evaluation! I've came across many universities and the only one that I remember who asked for that is Oregon's. Or do I have to send it to all universities in addition to my official transcripts?!

Do we need to get ECE evaluation before we apply for NBDE I?

I am a little confused about the sequence:
take NBDE I--- get evaluation--- apply for dental school---take NBDE II and other exams --- get licensure

Is that correct?

Thank you.

Nope we are supposed to get our transcripts evalauted by ECE or WES before appearing for part 1. ECE will send one of the copies to Joint commission if requested. Then u'll receive an acceptance letter from the latter saying that u r eligible to appear for part 1....
this is for part 1..i dont have any idea abt part 2...

mouth mirror said:
Nope we are supposed to get our transcripts evalauted by ECE or WES before appearing for part 1. ECE will send one of the copies to Joint commission if requested. Then u'll receive an acceptance letter from the latter saying that u r eligible to appear for part 1....

Thank you, mouth mirror. Do you know the valid time for Part I? I mean, if I take the exam now, when will it expire?

danyjose said:
HAI
one thing u can do just call the ece and asked them that u want C by C evaluation instead of general eva and u can send rest of the money and ur certificate .i think they gonna do it for u ,if it not too late .

iamteeth said:
Thank you, mouth mirror. Do you know the valid time for Part I? I mean, if I take the exam now, when will it expire?

the score is valid for 5yrs..........

rakhi said:
hi,

1) i would like to know whether there are any colleges which accept WES report now...[or all have changed to ECE? :confused: ]

2) will there be of any use if i get my wes report also done along with my ece report?[if by any chance my ece gpa turn out to be low!!! :scared: ]

3) Also how did you all ask our universities in home country to send the marklist directly to wes[when we are here in us?] :confused: ,i feel its very difficult to get something like that done from India...please advice....

4) is it necessary to send the copy of degree certificate also to ECE?or just copy of provisional degree certificate is enough?

5) i dont have my university degree certificate here with me at present....i have all other documents [including provisional degree certificate] attested by the dean of our college...is it enough that the copy of degree certificate be attested by any other government official in India...if at all i need to get a copy of it mailed to me from india?

i am sorry if you have already discussed about these earlier...i am confused with these now as i am waiting to send my transcripts for the report...

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Hi,

it will be very helpful if someone could clear my doubts mentioned above.
waiting for your reply.
thanks

hai,,
all i know about ure questions is only ece is valied and no need of notarisation..just a copy is enough//thats all i know

danyjose said:
hai,,
all i know about ure questions is only ece is valied and no need of notarisation..just a copy is enough//thats all i know

Hi ,Thanks a lot for replying....i appreciate it...

mouth mirror said:

i dont think ADA WILL SERVE ANY ACCEPTANCE letter once you send your GPA to joint commission at chicago, Illinois.

Its been a month i have send my GPA report to joint commission personally , coz i have extra copies send to me by ECE , which is sealed and untampered, and i did send them to join commission just be placing them in an envelope.

As per the www.ada.org website they never mentioned they will acknoiwledge or send any acceptance letter to the candidate after they receive the GPA from ECE or sealed , untampered, intact report personally posted by the candidate.

this is what i copypaste it here form the ada.org

Documentation

The following provisions are required for the verification of educational credentials obtained from non-accredited dental schools.

Candidates must submit an examination application and fee to:
The Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
211 East Chicago Avenue
6th Floor
Chicago , Illinois 60611-2678

Candidates must have official dental school course transcripts verified by:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee , Wisconsin 53202-3470
Telephone: 414-289-3400
Web site address: www.ece.org
E-mail address: [email protected]

Candidates must contact Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) and obtain an ECE application form. The ECE form will describe what educational credentials are required and the manner in which to submit them to ECE. Fees for ECE services will also be listed. The candidate should indicate on the ECE application that a General Report on the evaluation of the educational credentials should be sent directly to the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations. It takes approximately four weeks for ECE to evaluate credentials.

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. will send the ECE Evaluation Report directly to a) the candidate and to b) the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (if it was requested by the candidate on the ECE application).

The candidate must be aware that the Joint Commission will hold the examination application, but will not process it before the ECE Evaluation Report is received. Also, the ECE report must be received in the Joint Commission's office by the application deadline.

The candidate's name on the ECE report must match the name on the application. Any name changes must be accompanied by legal documentation.

if i'm not corrct pls suggest m,e the right thing

akg

Computerized Examination

Application for the Computerized Part I Examination
Registering for the Computerized Examination
Confirmation of Appointments
Cancellation of Testing Center Appointments
Transferring from the Computerized to the Written Examination
Tutorial
Test Results
Retaking the Test
Fees
Application for the Computerized Part I Examination

Applications for both the written and computerized versions of the Part I exam are included in the Part I Candidates Guide, available from the Joint Commission’s office and from U.S. and Canadian dental schools. An electronic version of the application is available for candidates who wish to submit their applications online.

NBDE Specifications | PDF file/39k
NBDE Part I Candidate Guide | PDF file/770k (Contains Exam Application)
NBDE Part I Sample Test | PDF file/252k
NBDE Part I Test Item Formats | PDF file/52k
National Board Score Reports Request Form | PDF file/9k
Apply Online
A new application must be submitted each time a candidate wishes to be tested. All information requested on the application must be provided and must be marked on the application form in the appropriate manner. All information must be legible.

To avoid future complications in qualifying for licensure, candidates should use their legal names. Also, the names on the candidate's Ids must agree with the names on the candidate's National Board application file. Candidates whose names do not match on both forms of identification and on the application will not be admitted to the Prometric Testing Center and, as a result, will miss their scheduled appointment and lose their application fee.

A completed application must be accompanied by the appropriate examination fee and, if required, documentation to establish eligibility. With written applications, fees must be paid by money order or certified check only; ADA and ASDA members may submit a personal check, but their membership number must be recorded on the check. For online applications, payment must be made by credit card.

An application may be submitted no more than one year before the testing date. Any application that does not meet the above stipulations will be returned.

A candidate whose application for the computerized exam is accepted will receive a letter indicating an 800-number that the candidate should use to register for the computerized examination. The national Prometric Candidate Contact Center will schedule the candidate for testing at one of the local Prometric Testing Centers. However, the Prometric Candidate Contact Center will not register a candidate before receiving authorization from the National Board office.

Return to Top

Registering for the Computerized Test

The Part I application is available online.

Apply Online
Candidates submitting their application online will pay by credit card. Candidates can also apply using the paper application included in this booklet. Only money orders or certified checks are accepted with the paper application. Cash or personal checks will be returned with the application. ADA or ASDA members may pay by personal check, but their membership number must be recorded on the check.

The computerized Part I National Board Dental Examination is administered by Thomson Prometric at Prometric Testing Centers only in the United States, its territories, and Canada. The computerized examination is presented in the multiple-choice format and includes the same content and same time schedule as the written examination.

If the application and fee are acceptable and the candidate meets the eligibility requirements for testing, the application will be processed. After the application is processed, Prometric will receive notification of the candidate's eligibility for testing and the candidate will receive instructions by letter to call the Thompson Prometric National Registration Center. The candidate will receive an 800-number to call to register for the test. The day, time, and place for taking the examination will be arranged by the candidate when he or she calls the 800-number and registers with the Thompson Prometric National Registration Center. The Thompson Prometric National Registration Center requires at least a 48-hour lead time to process eligibility files before it can schedule appointments at Prometric Testing Centers. Candidates can also schedule online for the computerized Part I National Board Dental Examination at www.Prometric.com .

A list of test centers can be found at www.Prometric.com .

The candidate is eligible for only a 12-month period. If the candidate does not call, register and take the computerized Part I during this period, the candidate will have to submit another application and fee in order to take the examination later. The eligibility period will not be extended. Please note that a candidate is permitted only two opportunities to take the Computerized Part I Examination within a calendar year. A minimum of 90 days must separate a candidate's re-examination on Part I.

It is the responsibility of the test applicant to complete clearly and accurately all portions of the application form. No application can be processed unless the completed application form and fee are received at the same time.

Return to Top

panchhi said:
panchhi.
fido! said:
hi panchhi
needed some info...what level of clinical expertise is expected from a BDS from india in univ like nyu or others??? do they teach us from scratch or want us to kno everything properly beforehand???? coz i dont hav any work exp...in case u kno anything, plz let me kno.
thanx

hi panchhi
needed some help...what level of clinical expertise is expected from a BDS from india for an AS prog???? do they teach u from scratch or want u to kno everything properly beforehand??? coz idont hav any work exp...plz guide me.
thanx

hi
i am also studying for my national boards part I.i am giving my exam in the month of august . if interested in combined study do let me know

bye
kashish

danyjose said:
hai

hai kashish
i am also interested in combined study but i am not prepared well how far is ure prepration i am in toronto were u from