Can a radiologist from europe get fellowship postitin in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalsyg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a radiology resident from Denmark and will be completing the 5 year residency programme in 2016.

I have passed the USMLE step 1 and 2 CK in 2007. I am planning to take my Step 2 CS exam this year ( to get the ECFMG certification before the 7 year time limit is over):idea:.

I am planning to do fellowship in neuro-radiology or vascular/interventional radiology after completing the radiology residency here.:idea:

My questions are-

1. Do I need to take Step 3 too ( to possibly apply for fellowship in 2016, before the 7 year limit for USMLE score validity period is over? )

2. Do medical schools/hospitals consider foreign graduates with their MD radiology from europe to apply for fellowship programmes in neuro or interventional radiology ?

3. Is it possible to take step 3 during fellowship?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to stay in the US after the fellowship it is better to do the step 3 in case you get into a program that sponsors H1 visa but if you are willing to go back to Denmark when you are done no need to do the step 3.
You have chances for sure but to increase them I recommend you to do observerships in radiology in the US and get recommendation letters that could help you for sure.
I know IMGs that did radiology outside of the US and got 7 to 10 interviews of radiology (one of them got interventional)

If you want to stay in the US after the fellowship it is better to do the step 3 in case you get into a program that sponsors H1 visa but if you are willing to go back to Denmark when you are done no need to do the step 3.
You have chances for sure but to increase them I recommend you to do observerships in radiology in the US and get recommendation letters that could help you for sure.
I know IMGs that did radiology outside of the US and got 7 to 10 interviews of radiology (one of them got interventional)
Thank you very much for the reply.

In case I plan to stay in the US after fellowship, and plan to take step 3, do I need to take step 3 before 2014 ( before the 7 year limit for USMLE score validity period is over?) ?

Or is it possible to take step 3 after 2014 ( before getting fellowship position or during ) ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be best for you to take it before the 2014 if you can,it also makes your application stand out and gives you a better chance of securing a spot.

It will be best for you to take it before the 2014 if you can,it also makes your application stand out and gives you a better chance of securing a spot.
I would try to finish it before 2014 but is it possible to take it after 2014?

I really don't have any idea about it. But it will be changing in 2014 as they wrote on the website. you will have to pass both questions and cases in order to pass the whole exam. I suggest that you take it asap. It will take you max 2 months to do it (even if you are working during the day). In my opinion just do the usmle world.
UW is awesome as material. I did it in one month for the step 2 ck and scored above 260.
My recommendation to you: Take it in the upcoming 6 to 8 months and when you fly to the US to do it stay for a couple of weeks or 3 and do obervership which will get you a rec letter ( you will increase your chances for fellowship)

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you not need a full license if you are going to fellowship, a lot of them require that which would then require step 3 to be completed prior. Also I did not think you could do a fellowship without having first done a residency in the United States, but I could also be wrong about that too.