Campbell University MSBS vs. LMU Master in Biomedical Professions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dfaz173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to post-bacc programs at both LMU and Campbell. My ultimate goal is to matriculate into D.O. school for the August 2017 cycle and I am trying to choose the program that would best help me to achieve that. Are there any current students of either programs that can speak to their success in the respective program? I've attached a comparison chart if anyone needs to familiarize themselves with the programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Campbell vs. LMU.xlsx
    4 KB · Views: 250
I have been accepted to post-bacc programs at both LMU and Campbell. My ultimate goal is to matriculate into D.O. school for the August 2017 cycle and I am trying to choose the program that would best help me to achieve that. Are there any current students of either programs that can speak to their success in the respective program? I've attached a comparison chart if anyone needs to familiarize themselves with the programs.

Look into LECOM's postbac program!

Reactions: 1 user
I know I am being harsh when I say this, but unless you are getting a direct acceptance from these programs (by meeting their requirements) I see no need in attending either program. The matriculation rates does seem high (not sure what their starting point is, those who start with the program or those who apply to med school from the program). However, there is risk in taking SMPs and unless your GPA is really bad there is no need to do them. If you mess up in this SMP, it can hurt your chances in attending any school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know I am being harsh when I say this, but unless you are getting a direct acceptance from these programs (by meeting their requirements) I see no need in attending either program. The matriculation rates does seem high (not sure what their starting point is, those who start with the program or those who apply to med school from the program). However, there is risk in taking SMPs and unless your GPA is really bad there is no need to do them. If you mess up in this SMP, it can hurt your chances in attending any school.

My Gpa is a 3.0 so it needs dramatic improvement. Are you suggesting that simply re-taking classes would be enough to improve my gpa for acceptance? I worry that simply re-taking coursework is not enough to demonstrate that I am able to perform in difficult courses.

Tough choice OP, but I don't think you could wrong with either. Have you visited both schools? This might have to be a "go with you gutt" type of thing.

No matter which one you decide on, you will have to crush it. Basically have the mentality that this is your 1st year of med school (if you know what I mean).

Tough choice OP, but I don't think you could wrong with either. Have you visited both schools? This might have to be a "go with you gutt" type of thing.

No matter which one you decide on, you will have to crush it. Basically have the mentality that this is your 1st year of med school (if you know what I mean).
I've visited Campbell about 3 times and I love the school. I'm visiting LMU this Friday to get a feel for the campus. My fear is that I am leaning towards Campbell because it will be closer to home (and $4000 cheaper, haha) but LMU has a lot of additional benefits. It's a good problem to have to get to choose between schools, I just have to make the right choice.

My Gpa is a 3.0 so it needs dramatic improvement. Are you suggesting that simply re-taking classes would be enough to improve my gpa for acceptance? I worry that simply re-taking coursework is not enough to demonstrate that I am able to perform in difficult courses.

You can retake course work while at the same time handling difficult course work. The benefit of these retakes means getting a chance at a high quality school, but without the worry of doing poorly affecting your chances of getting in altogether. There are many people who have retaken courses and still are succeeding in medical school.

What is your MCAT? If it is good I would honestly just spend the money doing retakes/upper level science to boost your GPA

What is your MCAT? If it is good I would honestly just spend the money doing retakes/upper level science to boost your GPA

I am taking my MCAT on May 6th so I can't factor that into my decision right now, unfortunately.

You can retake course work while at the same time handling difficult course work. The benefit of these retakes means getting a chance at a high quality school, but without the worry of doing poorly affecting your chances of getting in altogether. There are many people who have retaken courses and still are succeeding in medical school.

Do you think it would matter if I re-took them at a Community College if I took them at a four year university the first time?

I am taking my MCAT on May 6th so I can't factor that into my decision right now, unfortunately.

If you haven't even taken your MCAT yet, you are discounting yourself and your abilities to succeed. I'd strongly consider doing your best on your MCAT and completely avoiding these choices all together!

Members don't see this ad :)
with a high enough MCAT score, you can easily make up for that 3.0 gpa.

I would take the suggestions of the members on here, take the MCAT first.

If you get >510, then you would only need to take 2 classes or so to get your gpa to a 3.1 and you should have a lot of interviews.

i am a 1st year at LMU and my class consists of about 100 out of 230 that were master's students

i am a 1st year at LMU and my class consists of about 100 out of 230 that were master's students

Oops, I'm just now realizing that you didn't say that you had done the master's program. If you did not do the master's program, do you think that your peers that did the program are better prepared?

Oops, I'm just now realizing that you didn't say that you had done the master's program. If you did not do the master's program, do you think that your peers that did the program are better prepared?
I didn't do the master's program. The master's students end up having a much easier 1st year because they have already taken histology, anatomy, and neuroanatomy. They do not take these classes during their 1st year. It frees up more time for them to get active in clubs and the community

Seems too good to be true. What's the catch? They kick u out with a C?

There is a post-bacc in my state MD school, which gives direct admission to the same school. I have one friend with a 23 on his MCAT who went through this program and just graduated this year from med school. The post-bacc was harder than the first two years of med school and attrition from the program is high. However, those who complete the program all graduate medical school.

So doing well in medical school type courses is more telling than how well one does on the MCAT. So it might be the same with the LMU Masters, but them not having to take classes first year seems problematic to me. They still need to have some rigor in order to adjust to 2nd year more comfortably.

Yup. They get an easy first year, but it puts them further from the material for boards, but I guess anatomy isn't that high yield anyhow. I don't know how, if, it's affected them second year. More a taboo subject around the school. It's more annoying for traditional first years since the masters can devote a lot of time to a single class and the grades are looked at the same.

It would be pretty unfair if your class rank is in part determined by pre-clinical grades, since the masters students would have an advantage 1st year. Then again it may not mean much in the grand scheme of things when 3rd year and boards are factored in.

Boot camp isn't necessary - if you haven't been accepted to med school yet. If you're going into the master's program, pay the $800 and go to boot camp. You'll essentially get a month to get friendly with the faculty before any of your other master classmates do and let's be real here - if you're not in yet, you best be taking advantage of every chance you do get to get in.

Yup. They get an easy first year, but it puts them further from the material for boards, but I guess anatomy isn't that high yield anyhow. I don't know how, if, it's affected them second year. More a taboo subject around the school. It's more annoying for traditional first years since the masters can devote a lot of time to a single class and the grades are looked at the same.

This is subjective. Being able to devote more time to MFM/getting a head start on annotating in First Aid puts Master's students at a slight advantage for board prep. Where traditional first years essentially are studying to pass the exam, having a lighter load gives you more time to actually learn what you need to learn. Also, many Master students become TAs for classes like Anatomy/Histo so we're really not that disconnected at all.

There is a post-bacc in my state MD school, which gives direct admission to the same school. I have one friend with a 23 on his MCAT who went through this program and just graduated this year from med school. The post-bacc was harder than the first two years of med school and attrition from the program is high. However, those who complete the program all graduate medical school.

So doing well in medical school type courses is more telling than how well one does on the MCAT. So it might be the same with the LMU Masters, but them not having to take classes first year seems problematic to me. They still need to have some rigor in order to adjust to 2nd year more comfortably.

I have heard differently for some programs. At one specific D.O. Schools friend of mine who is doing the dual D.O./M.S. Degree said it made it easier for him to get into medical school and succeed. He said his first year of medical school was his masters research Year which consisted of taking all of the OMS-I classes with The exception of OMM lab and Anatomy. He said his first year of actual medical school was much easier due to only having to take the OMM lab and anatomy. He highly recommended I go this route not only for the masters degree and additive research bonus, but also for the easier schedule. Masters programs usually aren't "harder" than medical school because they are usually in the same classes with medical students. If you do bad, well, you will put yourself in a bad spot. However, if you do bad in medical school curriculum then you probably shouldn't be in medical school anyhow.

I have heard differently for some programs. At one specific D.O. Schools friend of mine who is doing the dual D.O./M.S. Degree said it made it easier for him to get into medical school and succeed. He said his first year of medical school was his masters research Year which consisted of taking all of the OMS-I classes with The exception of OMM lab and Anatomy. He said his first year of actual medical school was much easier due to only having to take the OMM lab and anatomy. He highly recommended I go this route not only for the masters degree and additive research bonus, but also for the easier schedule. Masters programs usually aren't "harder" than medical school because they are usually in the same classes with medical students. If you do bad, well, you will put yourself in a bad spot. However, if you do bad in medical school curriculum then you probably shouldn't be in medical school anyhow.

They aren't "usually" harder. The program I am talking about is because it isn't taken with the usual med school classes (their classes are totally separate from the med students), they "cram" major topics of both physiology and pathophysiology into one year. It doesn't just prepare them for year one, it prepares them for both years. They also have to study at a greater level of detail (the LIs they had to write for PBL were 2-3x longer than 1st and 2nd year, plus mandatory attendance since the med school is a hybrid program of PBL and lecture). I had multiple friends in the program who told me med school year 1 was a vacation (still had the normal load) and year 2 was at most almost as bad. It not the usual SMP, trust me.

Last edited:
They aren't "usually" harder. The program I am talking about is because it isn't taken with the usual med school classes (their classes are totally separate from the med students), they "cram" major topics of both physiology and pathophysiology into one year. It doesn't just prepare them for year one, it prepares them for both years. They also have to study at a greater level of detail (the LIs they had to write for PBL were 2-3x longer than 1st and 2nd year, plus mandatory attendance since the med school is a hybrid program of PBL and lecture). I had multiple friends in the program who told me med school year 1 was a vacation (still had the normal load) and year 2 was at most almost as bad. It not the usual SMP, trust me.
That is interesting, yuck.

regardless of mcat score. I know people with 19 MCAT that got in

thank you for answering my questions. I just got accepted to Liberty MBS program with goal of matriculating to LUCOM year after. What a great opportunity I was given. I got accepted with a low MCAT as well-director called me personally- which not many, none at all in fact take the time to call.
Anyone else starting this August 2016? I would love to meet them in person as I plan to go visit
thanks

I've visited Campbell about 3 times and I love the school. I'm visiting LMU this Friday to get a feel for the campus. My fear is that I am leaning towards Campbell because it will be closer to home (and $4000 cheaper, haha) but LMU has a lot of additional benefits. It's a good problem to have to get to choose between schools, I just have to make the right choice.

Choose Liberty. The incredible opportunity to matriculate the following year 2017 is such an amazing opportunity.
I was recently accepted, planning on matriculating and planning a trip to go visit school. I am from Colorado!

Choose Liberty. The incredible opportunity to matriculate the following year 2017 is such an amazing opportunity.
I was recently accepted, planning on matriculating and planning a trip to go visit school. I am from Colorado!

LMU is Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. Unfortunately, it does not have the automatic matriculation that Liberty's program has.

If you haven't even taken your MCAT yet, you are discounting yourself and your abilities to succeed. I'd strongly consider doing your best on your MCAT and completely avoiding these choices all together!

You are my best friend. I wish people would stop procrastinating. If you haven't taken the MCAT and you spend 20-50k on a post bacc what happens when you can't get an MCAT score? Unreal ball up and then figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied to the same post-bac program as you, but I still haven't heard from them yet. Do you have any idea as to how much longer I have to wait till I hear from them?

regardless of mcat score. I know people with 19 MCAT that got in
Really? what year of LMU program are you talking about?
I read someplace else on this message board that getting good grades in the LMU Masters program used to be but is no longer a "guaranteed" admission to DCOM, that regardless of how well you do in the Masters program theyre still going to look for certain MCATs
I think someone said they are looking for 500

Last edited:
I got rejected from Edward Via but they sent me information about their new program which looks to me like a guaranteed admission to VCOM after you did their one-year program ...
Has anyone else looked at this program at Edward Via?
it sounded like a really good program that would get you into VCOM

Last edited:
I didn't even apply to Liberty because I was worried about it being too religious when you get to the clinical years ...
like do they even teach medical students about abortion or sexual identity or transgender medical procedures?
does anyone know?
my dad went to Catholic medical school and they learned everything they needed to know, abortion, birth control ...
but I read someplace that Liberty is restrictive about what they teach ... does anyone know if this is true??

Last edited:
LMU is Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. Unfortunately, it does not have the automatic matriculation that Liberty's program has.
I thought I read someplace on here LMU used to have automatic matriculation at DCOM if you do well in LMU master program ...

trying to figure out what to do about these masters programs is hard
its a lot of money (loans) & a lot of time doing one of these masters if it really doesnt get you into osteo medical school the following year
not sure I see the point of doing one of these programs if it really doesnt get you anywhere
would like to hear from others what you think

230 is awful big class
I got rejected from Morehouse & they said their class was 90 students
Does DCOM flunk out a lot of students after first year?

I thought I read someplace on here LMU used to have automatic matriculation at DCOM if you do well in LMU master program ...

DCOM's master program does not have automatic matriculation. I couldn't tell you if it used to.

230 is awful big class
I got rejected from Morehouse & they said their class was 90 students
Does DCOM flunk out a lot of students after first year?.

I'm a DCOM 2019 student and my class had 243 students at the start. My school doesn't flunk out students (it's bad business because for each student lost - they loose that tuition and it looks poorly on the school to loose students); however if a student fails 3 classes, they are dismissed which happened to a few students in the first semester.

PS, instead of creating multiple posts to reply to people, you can click on "+quote" and it adds the quoted message to your post so that you can reply to each quote in one post.

Last edited:
So the 93% acceptance to DCOM is hiliariously misleading. Many people (about 10) fail out of the MS each year, and out of that people get interviewed and put on waitlists... I don't know if changes have been made to LMU's MS program, but in my experience it was a nightmare for several reasons, you can PM me if you want.

Even if Campbell's advertised number is lower, they are probably not skewing data like LMU is for sure. Also the data from LMU is from the first year of the program, you should inquire about subsequent years and how many people got in, and see if you get an answer.

Hi trs88 --

Thanks for your reply, and also the info about how to do multi-quote
Do you like the program at DCOM?
do they have good options for the clinical rotations?

So the 93% acceptance to DCOM is hiliariously misleading. Many people (about 10) fail out of the MS each year, and out of that people get interviewed and put on waitlists... I don't know if changes have been made to LMU's MS program, but in my experience it was a nightmare for several reasons, you can PM me if you want.

Even if Campbell's advertised number is lower, they are probably not skewing data like LMU is for sure. Also the data from LMU is from the first year of the program, you should inquire about subsequent years and how many people got in, and see if you get an answer.
Hi lovemesometx --
Thanks for this info -- really helpful!
my dad practices medicine in a nonprofit, which is why I wanted to go to DO school in the first place, or a school like Morehouse that gets you clinical experience in poverty clinics & hospitals ...
So taking out loans to pay a lot of money for a Masters program that has no guarantee of getting into DO school probably doesn't make sense for me --
Somebody on this board said its better to take Kaplan & try to get you MCAT up as much as you can --
I'm going to find out more about the Edward Via program because it seems like they might have guaranteed admission to VCOM
and hopefully somebody will answer my questions about Liberty

thank you for answering my questions. I just got accepted to Liberty MBS program with goal of matriculating to LUCOM year after. What a great opportunity I was given. I got accepted with a low MCAT as well-director called me personally- which not many, none at all in fact take the time to call.
Anyone else starting this August 2016? I would love to meet them in person as I plan to go visit
thanks

Are u still going to liberty?