Call to Action. Physicians in ALL states can send in emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indebt4Life

Chilling like a Villain
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Call to Action
The Texas Medical Board has recently proposed a very positive rule change that says midlevels can not read/interpret radiology studies and can not make a diagnosis based on radiologic studies as this constitutes the practice of medicine(exact wording below). This is one step in helping to prevent midlevels from performing medical acts that they have not been trained to do. The TMB has opened this rule change to public comments. The NPs and PAs (in and out of Texas) are mobilizing and are planning to bombard TMB. We need to dominate the public comments and silence these midlevels. Please write TMB and let them know we support this rule change. Comments must be received by TMB no later than Feb 20.

This move by the TMB is being watched by other physicians (radiologists and non-radiologists) as a game changer in SOP issues. Please support physician led care.

Contact Information for Comments:
By mail to: Texas Medical Board
Rules Development
P.O. Box 2018
Austin, TX 78768-2018
By email to: [email protected]
By fax to: (512) 305-7051, Attention: Rules Development
§193.21.Delegation Related to Radiological Services.
(a) A physician may delegate the performance of radiological procedures to properly trained midlevel providers, certified radiological technologists (MRT and LMRT), or non-certified radiological technologists (NCT).
(b) The delegation under this section must be under a physician's order, medical order, standing delegation order, prescriptive authority agreement, or protocol.
(c) The administering or providing of radiological services under this section shall comply with other applicable laws.
(d) The following acts have been determined to be the practice of medicine under the authority of the Act, §157.001(b)(1), and cannot be delegated to a midlevel provider, certified radiological technologist (MRT and LMRT), or non-certified radiological technologist (NCT):
(1) the reading and interpretation of the radiological studies; and
(2) rendering a diagnosis based on the radiological studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Honorable Members of the Texas Medical Board:

I write to express my full and unreserved support of the new rule §193.21, relating to Delegation Related to Radiological Services, which proposes new language clearly delineating that the interpretation of radiological studies and imaging is the practice of medicine and cannot be delegated.

As a physician, I support this new rule because it is in the best interest of patients and seeks to ensure that the medical care being provided is of the highest level of quality and safety.

The interpretation of radiological studies certainly constitutes the practice of medicine. These imaging studies allow for a snapshot of a patient that may not be externally visible, and the findings are then interpreted to render a diagnosis. This certainly cannot be likened to a basic laboratory test that would only require comparison to a normal range that listed aside the patient’s laboratory value. The interpretation of radiological imaging requires the knowledge of anatomy, the ability to discern whether the study is of adequate diagnostic quality, the ability to discern abnormal from normal, and also the ability to correlate imaging study findings with the clinical scenario or indication for the study to have been performed. How can a midlevel provider or a radiological technologist with minimal to no formal training in radiological image interpretation have the knowledge and experience to consistently render accurate diagnoses? What happens to the patients who are incorrectly diagnosed leading to delayed or inappropriate care?

As a patient, I support this new rule because it’s the level of care that I deserve.

Sincerely,

Done!

I added this (in addition to some personal information about family living in Texas):

The US has a long history of offering the best medical care in the world. A standard of care that foreign nationals seek out for its consistent excellence, yet the US is the only western country in which individuals are allowed to practice medicine without benefit of medical school, residency and a rigorous set of licensing and certification processes. What happens to the patients who are incorrectly diagnosed leading to delayed or inappropriate care? Our citizens are being misled that the care they receive is the same standard that their parents and grandparents expected and received and for which the United States is known for world-wide.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This should be stickied at the top of all the forums.

I feel it would help to have this cross-posted in other forums or somewhere with more traffic

I know that's against the rules, but maybe one of the mods could move this somewhere, or we could start new threads by different users to get more coverage?

also @Winged Scapula I really like what you added. I feel like it screams "argument tailored to the Texas mindset", not to be rude about stereotypes.

After reading both of yours, I have no idea how to phrase mine. Ideas?

I feel it would help to have this cross-posted in other forums or somewhere with more traffic

I know that's against the rules, but maybe one of the mods could move this somewhere, or we could start new threads by different users to get more coverage?

also @Winged Scapula I really like what you added. I feel like it screams "argument tailored to the Texas mindset", not to be rude about stereotypes.

After reading both of yours, I have no idea how to phrase mine. Ideas?
Thank you.

We have had extensive discussions with this member and other members of the parent organization and it was decided that all posts should be made in this forum where it is most relevant. Because SDN is a nonprofit non-political organization, we do not wish to have it cross posted although I am not opposed to having it in SPF. We are hoping to revitalize this forum. You can also let your friend here know about it and direct them here via a personal message.

As far as what you should write, you don’t actually need to add anything you can send as is or you have my permission to use my verbiage

As a premed I wish I could help but alas I have no power.

I am just a casual observer and I hope you guys win this battle against mid levels. This is not for physicians only this is for patients as well.

As a premed I wish I could help but alas I have no power.

I am just a casual observer and I hope you guys win this battle against mid levels. This is not for physicians only this is for patients as well.
Why would being a pre-med change your "power"?

You and your family are patients.

You are a future physician.

This affects all of us.

In fact, comments from the general public probably mean more than from physicians as it could be claimed we have a vested interest.

Why would being a pre-med change your "power"?

You and your family are patients.

You are a future physician.

This affects all of us.

In fact, comments from the general public probably mean more than from physicians as it could be claimed we have a vested interest.
Wow so i actually have a voice? I can make a difference?

Just sent a email