California intern requirements revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I could have sworn that the CA requirements were 1500 total intern hours, maximum 600 earned through school, and minimum 900 had to be earned outside on your own.

I really do remember reading that they'd only accept 600 through APPE/P-4.

Well, I happened to be going through all the applications/paperwork and the 2009 law book and some part of my brain thinks the wording changed. Here's the exact quote from the 2009 law book:

2009 CA Law Book said:
1728. Requirements for Examination.
(a) Prior to receiving authorization from the board to take the pharmacist licensure examinations required by section 4200 of the Business and Professions Code, applicants shall submit to the board the following:
(1) Proof of 1500 hours of pharmacy practice experience that meets the following requirements:
(A) A minimum of 900 hours of pharmacy practice experience obtained in a pharmacy.
(B) A maximum of 600 hours of pharmacy practice experience may be granted at the discretion of the board for other experience substantially related to the practice of pharmacy.
(C) Experience in both community pharmacy and institutional pharmacy practice settings.
(D) Pharmacy practice experience that satisfies the requirements for both introductory and advanced pharmacy practice experiences established by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.

I've looked at everything and cannot find anything related to in-school vs. out-of-school. If you check this thread, someone appears to have quoted the CA requirement....but I cannot find this exact same text now (I've searched the law book, application, etc...) What bugs is that the revision dates are still from '06.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=607940

I'm going nuts, is this my imagination? Or does it appear that the requirement actually did shift a bit? :xf::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my 1500 hours from school and all of them were accepted by California. I had over 2000 hrs from work but i could not get them verified from Colorado since my preceptor passed away. i was concerned that i will receive a deficiency but it was never came up as an issue.

I do not think that the board cares from where the hours come from just as long as they are properly verified by a state board

I submitted my 1500 hours from school and all of them were accepted by California. I had over 2000 hrs from work but i could not get them verified from Colorado since my preceptor passed away. i was concerned that i will receive a deficiency but it was never came up as an issue.

I do not think that the board cares from where the hours come from just as long as they are properly verified by a state board

THANK YOU...this is the exact answer I needed from someone who went through the process. Of course, this might have always been the case anyway, but I appreciate your reply anyway. :thumbup::thumbup:

Curious, was it an independent pharmacy you worked at? Were there no payroll records another pharmacist could verify? Seems odd everything rode on that one person.

it was not an independent pharmacy. i worked at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital. Everything was on payroll and verifiable internally so i had my pharmacy manager sign off on my paperwork. Problem is my preceptor name does not match so the board rejected my submission. i tried to get it settled over the phone, it was not going anywhere so i just asked for my school hours verified and hoped for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was not an independent pharmacy. i worked at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital. Everything was on payroll and verifiable internally so i had my pharmacy manager sign off on my paperwork. Problem is my preceptor name does not match so the board rejected my submission. i tried to get it settled over the phone, it was not going anywhere so i just asked for my school hours verified and hoped for the best.

What a pain, but glad it all worked out.

ditto
1500 from school