California Graduate Institute (Psy.D.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cha1re

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried searching but couldnt find any related threads. Just wondering if anyone is going through their Psy.D. program. They're not APA nor Regionally accredited but they have been granted second stage approval (candidacy status) from WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) for regional accreditation. Which means that they have one more step to go to be accredited. They are also merging with the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. Im interested in their program primarily because of cost. Any opinions on their program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, if a program isn't APA accredited, there will be a number of additional hoops to jump though....if it isn't regionally accredited those hoops multiply.

Honestly, I'd suggest looking elsewhere and/or going for an MA/MS at an accredited program so you don't have to worry about getting licensed, etc.

In general, if a program isn't APA accredited, there will be a number of additional hoops to jump though....if it isn't regionally accredited those hoops multiply.

Honestly, I'd suggest looking elsewhere and/or going for an MA/MS at an accredited program so you don't have to worry about getting licensed, etc.

well, im finishing up my MA in counseling psychology and will be an mft intern. Really would like to continue on to a psy.d. program but the cost of the other programs really scare me. I spoke to one psychologist who graduated from cgi years ago and he was telling me that it might be the best time to attend cgi as they have passed the most difficult stage of accreditation (2nd stage) from WASC and there's only one step left which should come soon. I can take advantage of their pre-accreditation prices before they get regionally accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see why CGI would be attractive given it's price. However, I concur with Therapist4Change -- it's risky. There's a difference between a school being on it's way to regional accreditation and being close to getting APA accreditation. Without APA accreditation, there will be many additional steps you will need to take to demonstrate to licensing boards that you've gotten APA-equivalent education and training.

I carefully looked into CGI and interviewed with them. They were happy to take my money and get me in the Psy D program. However what they did not tell me was that the California Board of Psychology (BOP) will no longer accept diplomas from CGI after Jan 1, 2009. This was confirmed by a phone call to the board. SB 823 (which would have extended previous approval status) was vetoed by the governor on 9/30/08. As far as regional accreditation from WASC they have confirmed that could not happen for CGI before 2011. All my info came directly from the sources and from direct contact with Chicago School (who CGI will affiliate with). Their FAQ sheet is clear. CGI will not automatically get APA, WASC or HCL accreditation just because they are merging with TSC.

Further, TSC charges 2.5 times the tuition than CGI. Plan on CGI rates and requirements going up if and when they get accreditation.

I suggest you verify any info you hear through CGI with the board. It is the board who you must answer to when it is time to sit for licensure. As it stands, I have decided to stay as an MFT intern and finish my hours and sit for MFT license. A PH. D. will be down the line. I suggest you carefully investigate before starting a program. Hope this info helps.

Also, CSOPP's LA Campus is not APA accredited either right now. They're working on it, but I'm not clear on how long it will take. Only the Chicago campus is accredited.