California DPT Schools 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt-is-the-one-for-me

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m new here and noticed that there’s not a thread for California schools. I just submitted my PTCAS (8/14) with applications for CSULB, Chapman, and UCSF. So now the waiting game begins!

How is everyone’s cycle going so far? Where are y’all applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm applying to Samuel Merritt, USC, Chapman (fall), and UCSF! Still getting my UCSF supplemental essays done at the moment tho
What term are yall applying to Chapman for?

Hello! I'm applying to Samuel Merritt, USC, Chapman (fall), and UCSF! Still getting my UCSF supplemental essays done at the moment tho
What term are yall applying to Chapman for?
Awesome! Those UCSF supplemental essays were rough. I had a lot of trouble getting the COVID one to a length I was comfortable with since I didn’t have much to say on the topic...I called it quits at 2500/4500! Personally, I’m applying for the Fall Chapman program. I am slightly curious as to whether one term gets more applicants than the other though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to CSULB, western and chapman! Hoping I get in somewhere :)

Awesome! Those UCSF supplemental essays were rough. I had a lot of trouble getting the COVID one to a length I was comfortable with since I didn’t have much to say on the topic...I called it quits at 2500/4500! Personally, I’m applying for the Fall Chapman program. I am slightly curious as to whether one term gets more applicants than the other though!
Yeah I thought UCSF's prompts were rough haha which is prob why I've been leaving it off to work on my other supplemental essays. I think as long as you got everything you needed to say down you should be good!! Same for Chapman! I tried looking it up but I didn't find anything. I was also wondering if applying to both terms would be the move but idk

I'm applying to Chapman as well. I kind of think that the fall will get more applicants, but I'm applying to both.

I'm applying to CSULB, western and chapman! Hoping I get in somewhere :)
Whoo hoo! Glad to see another Chapman and LB buddy! I’ve also heard great things about western so that seems like a pretty solid list. Have you already submitted or are you still suffering through the horrors of second guessing your transcript entry and supplementals?

Yeah I thought UCSF's prompts were rough haha which is prob why I've been leaving it off to work on my other supplemental essays. I think as long as you got everything you needed to say down you should be good!! Same for Chapman! I tried looking it up but I didn't find anything. I was also wondering if applying to both terms would be the move but idk
I almost applied to both terms but I decided to stick to fall at the last second... the thought of one final summer was just too tempting for me! Good luck to us both though!

I'm applying to Chapman as well. I kind of think that the fall will get more applicants, but I'm applying to both.
Awesome to hear! Are you applying to any other schools or are you all in on Chapman? And, if you don’t mind me asking, why Chapman?

Awesome to hear! Are you applying to any other schools or are you all in on Chapman? And, if you don’t mind me asking, why Chapman?
Yeah, I'm applying to 6 schools kind of scattered across the states. The only ones in California are Chapman and SDSU. And honestly, to briefly summarize that supplemental essay lol, I liked that Chapman had several neuro opportunities since my undergrad degree is in neuroscience, a lot of their community outreach programs are really cool too (the Balance Families Program especially), and it's super close to home for me. It's probably my top choice, so fingers crossed! Are you pretty set on staying in Cali?

Yeah, I'm applying to 6 schools kind of scattered across the states. The only ones in California are Chapman and SDSU. And honestly, to briefly summarize that supplemental essay lol, I liked that Chapman had several neuro opportunities since my undergrad degree is in neuroscience, a lot of their community outreach programs are really cool too (the Balance Families Program especially), and it's super close to home for me. It's probably my top choice, so fingers crossed! Are you pretty set on staying in Cali?
I love their balance families program!! super unique from what I have read about it so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!
I just submitted my applications to Sac State and Cal State Northridge :)
For anyone that applied to SFSU/UCSF - What do you know housing for students? Or general cost of living?

Hi!
I'm applying to a lot of California schools since I want to stay close to home haha. But I'm applying to Samuel Merritt, Chapman, Western, UCSF, Mount Saint Marys, St. Augustine, and CSULB.
Wishing you all luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, that’s such a cool undergrad major.. as one of the 1000s of kin majors, I’m slightly jealous of how much that’ll make you stand out I’ve heard from current students that the CU program has a heavy emphasis on neuro so it seems like it would be a great fit! I’m pretty close as well by the Mission Viejo area!

I only applied to Cali schools (which is possibly a risk) but definitely a gamble I’m willing to take to stay in the golden state!

Hi!
I'm applying to a lot of California schools since I want to stay close to home haha. But I'm applying to Samuel Merritt, Chapman, Western, UCSF, Mount Saint Marys, St. Augustine, and CSULB.
Wishing you all luck!!
whoo hoo! Cali schools representing! How far are you on your application so far?

Good luck to you as well!! We got this!

Hey!
I just submitted my applications to Sac State and Cal State Northridge :)
For anyone that applied to SFSU/UCSF - What do you know housing for students? Or general cost of living?
Woohoo! Congrats on submitting. Is it just me or did you feel lighter after clicking submit...it felt so odd to have something I’d been working towards for years just finished?? maybe you can relate haha

I applied to UCSF as well! (Super friendly reminder to also do their separate supplemental application before their oct 1 deadline!) From what I’ve been looking into, it’s pretty expensive. I didn’t look into student housing but, doing some reddit research on what college students re paying and checking out Zillow, it’s looking to be around 800/month for rent/utilities if you’re staying on the rather frugal side as well as sharing a room! I’ll probably check out student housing though to see if they have apartments or something!

whoo hoo! Cali schools representing! How far are you on your application so far?

Good luck to you as well!! We got this!

So far I've only submit to Samuel Merritt since I'm doing another retake for the GRE! Once that's done, I'll probably submit the rest :) Ahhh stressful times haha

hi guys! hope everyone’s applications are going well!
i submitted 8/21 (finally some weight off of my chest!)
I applied to USA (san marcos), USC, UCSF, CSULB, CSUN, CSUF, western, chapman, UOP, and west coast.
so far I have only heard back from one school (USA) and got accepted! still waiting on all of the rest. anyone heard back from anywhere yet??

Hello everyone! I am applying to Fresno State, Sac State, CSU Northridge, Loma Linda U, and Western U. Best of luck to everyone applying and hope to get the chance to meet some of you!

hi guys! hope everyone’s applications are going well!
i submitted 8/21 (finally some weight off of my chest!)
I applied to USA (san marcos), USC, UCSF, CSULB, CSUN, CSUF, western, chapman, UOP, and west coast.
so far I have only heard back from one school (USA) and got accepted! still waiting on all of the rest. anyone heard back from anywhere yet??
Dang, i think that’s the first CA acceptance I’ve heard about. Congratulations!!! Out of curiosity, when did you hear back from USA?

i also applied to Chapman, CSULB, and UCSF... I’m not sure when Chapman is supposed to send out decisions but i know CSULB and UCSF arent supposed to come out until January. This waiting game is killing me!! Especially when I keep on seeing Texas applicants getting decisions so early!!

Dang, i think that’s the first CA acceptance I’ve heard about. Congratulations!!! Out of curiosity, when did you hear back from USA?

i also applied to Chapman, CSULB, and UCSF... I’m not sure when Chapman is supposed to send out decisions but i know CSULB and UCSF arent supposed to come out until January. This waiting game is killing me!! Especially when I keep on seeing Texas applicants getting decisions so early!!
Chapman said they’re going to start sending out acceptances for their summer cohort in November and their fall cohort in December!

Do you mean CSULB and UCSF don't sent out decisions about interviews until January or decisions about acceptances?

I heard back from USA on September 3. the turnover was pretty quick with them because I had been in contact with their enrollment advisor previously.
I know what you mean! I just wana hear back from all the schools already! I just submitted my CalStateApply supplemental application today for CSULB. still on the waiting game!

Do you mean CSULB and UCSF don't sent out decisions about interviews until January or decisions about acceptances?
CSULB doesn’t do interviews. I don’t remember if UCSF does interviews or not. But yeah, it takes them until December or January to send out acceptances.

Does anyone know when CSUN sends out interview requests?

I saw one of you said that SFSU/UCSF is likely to be in Jan. so I guess I'll have to wait for that (hopefully), as it is one of my top choices. But CSUN is closer to my family, so it would be nice to heave that around for the next three years.

Someone asked about housing in SF:

I live here, cost of living is HIGH. Can confirm that, people with well paying tech jobs are living with housemates in 800$ rooms; there is simply a dearth of housing to be had. Apartments are old and have paper thin walls so, be prepped to hear sounds you didn't expect, nor want, to hear.

If I hear back from them I will be excited, but I will really have to figure out the $$$, in reality PTs don't make much, and I don't want to be straddled with insurmountable debt.

Also to note, forgive me if you already know this, on a map UCSF and SFSU aren't terribly far apart, but getting from one place to another can be a pain. So it is something to also plan for.

On the plus side, the food here is fantastic.

I hope this was helpful, and not discouraging. I wish you good luck.

I saw one of you said that SFSU/UCSF is likely to be in Jan. so I guess I'll have to wait for that (hopefully), as it is one of my top choices. But CSUN is closer to my family, so it would be nice to heave that around for the next three years.

I live here, cost of living is HIGH. Can confirm that, people with well paying tech jobs are living with housemates in 800$ rooms; there is simply a dearth of housing to be had. Apartments are old and have paper thin walls so, be prepped to hear sounds you didn't expect, nor want, to hear.

If I hear back from them I will be excited, but I will really have to figure out the $$$, in reality PTs don't make much, and I don't want to be straddled with insurmountable debt.

Also to note, forgive me if you already know this, on a map UCSF and SFSU aren't terribly far apart, but getting from one place to another can be a pain. So it is something to also plan for.

CSUN does not conduct interviews.

Oh, I must have totally missed that. Good to know, thank you.

Hello Everyone!
I hope that you are all doing well! I was accepted to the DPT program at Loma Linda. However, I am still waiting to hear back responses from Fresno,CSUN, and CSULB. Fresno State is currently my top choice

Hello Everyone!
I hope that you are all doing well! I was accepted to the DPT program at Loma Linda. However, I am still waiting to hear back responses from Fresno,CSUN, and CSULB. Fresno State is currently my top choice
That’s really great to hear ! Congrats! I hope you have the same outcomes for all your other schools and you Get in where you prefer! how was interview for loma linda ? I have mines coming towards the end of the month and wanted ask if you had any tips ? I heard there’s a writing portion , how accurate is that speculation ? Any shotgun questions or ones you didn’t expect? Is the faculty welcoming ?

That’s really great to hear ! Congrats! I hope you have the same outcomes for all your other schools and you Get in where you prefer! how was interview for loma linda ? I have mines coming towards the end of the month and wanted ask if you had any tips ? I heard there’s a writing portion , how accurate is that speculation ? Any shotgun questions or ones you didn’t expect? Is the faculty welcoming ?
Thanks I appreciate that! It was honestly one of the easiest interviews I had. The staff were extremely friendly and the questions are said as if they were part of a conversation. I did not have a writing portion during the interview process. I know they used to but that was before they made the GRE a requirement. I attached the questions I sent to one of my friends. Hope this helps:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-074500.png
    Screenshot_20201018-074500.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 213
Thanks I appreciate that! It was honestly one of the easiest interviews I had. The staff were extremely friendly and the questions are said as if they were part of a conversation. I did not have a writing portion during the interview process. I know they used to but that was before they made the GRE a requirement. I attached the questions I sent to one of my friends. Hope this helps:)
Awesome and thank you! Its definitely helpful!

Oh wow congratulations!!! I just submitted my supplemental application today! How long after did you hear for an interview? And how long after your interview did you hear a decision? If you don't remember its alright! But Congrats again! good luck on your other schools!

Oh wow congratulations!!! I just submitted my supplemental application today! How long after did you hear for an interview? And how long after your interview did you hear a decision? If you don't remember its alright! But Congrats again! good luck on your other schools!
Thank you! I think it took between 2-3 weeks to hear back about having an interview and after a week of having the I interview I was accepted.

That was extremely helpful.. I was the one who made comments about the cost of living. Thanks so much for the input! I appreciate it!

Thank you! I think it took between 2-3 weeks to hear back about having an interview and after a week of having the I interview I was accepted.

I just heard back that my Loma Linda interview is this Friday! I am actually surprised that it is in person. Did you do your interview in person?

I have applied to a fair amount of California schools and have yet to hear from one. I know APU has rolling admissions and was wondering if anyone has heard from them or any other CA school recently?

I have applied to a fair amount of California schools and have yet to hear from one. I know APU has rolling admissions and was wondering if anyone has heard from them or any other CA school recently?

My friend already heard from APU.

I haven't heard from any California schools either

Hello everyone! I applied to Western U, Chapman, USC, CSULB, Samuell Merret, UCSF, Northridge, and Fresno for my CA schools. I got accepted to USC and have a interview for Rocky Mountain in Utah so far. Hoping to hear back from a more affordable school :)

Hello everyone! I applied to Western U, Chapman, USC, CSULB, Samuell Merret, UCSF, Northridge, and Fresno for my CA schools. I got accepted to USC and have a interview for Rocky Mountain in Utah so far. Hoping to hear back from a more affordable school :)
Congrats! Do you mind if I dm you?

Congrats on the acceptance to USC! When did you apply and when did you hear back? And if you don’t mind, could you share with us your stats?

Congrats on the acceptance to USC! When did you apply and when did you hear back? And if you don’t mind, could you share with us your stats?
Thank you!
I applied end of August/Early September.

University: Pepperdine University
Major: Economics
Overall GPA: 3.33
Pre-Req GPA: 3.83
GRE: Verbal-161 Quant-153 Essay: 5.5

Extra-Curric: Not much

Volunteer: Almost 3 years as an exercise specialist at my outpatient PT clinic (paid position)

Acceptances: USC

Rejections: none so far

Interviews: Rocky Mountain U in Utah

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back from Samuel Merritt?