California Cardiology Fellowship Ranking...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RYW123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Of my 15 Cardiology Fellowship interviews, 5 were in California. How would you rank these programs: Scripps Green, CPMC, UCLA Harbor, USC and Kaiser LA.

Any insight into these programs would be super helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go with your gut and where you felt you'd fit in best, there's not a huge difference between those programs in the grand scheme of things.

Long time lurker here. sorry only interviewed at UCLA harbor.
I am originally from west, training on east coast- trying to come back to the best coast..interested in academic medicine w/ emphasis on imaging and ACHD

my impressions of california programs are below..

1. Cedars

Pros

excellent volume for structural (largest TAVR and mitraclip program in the country) and heart transplant (highest volume center in the US). Did hear rumblings that emphasis is on numbers and not quality.

PD and interviewers seemed nice and collegial

strong CT/nuc

Overall strong reputation on west coast

They have a lot of famous cardiologists (and ranked 4th on US News)

they have a T32 grant to foster research training

Cons

Despite its reputation, the program did not come across as very academic- the PD, chiefs and faculty did try to boost the academic merits of training at Cedars, but very few graduates have taken jobs in academia at major centers.

There is less exposure to bread and butter cardiology at Cedars as it has too many privates. Privates take patients with PPO insurance from ED. Fellows rotate at Kaiser for consults, clinic and cath lab (!!!!). .. This is surprising as Cedars is rated among top interventional labs in the country.

The whole fellowship seems to be built around the Cedars’ heart failure practice. There may be a conflict of interest as the PD and HF director are married (both seemed nice!)

Low ACHD volume

Average EP

Left with mixed feelings after my interview day, as I am interested in being a clinician-educator with emphasis on imaging and possibly ACHD. The only appeal of imaging for me was the option to train in structural cath lab imaging.

2. UCLA

Pros

Great ACHD and EP programs

Ability to attain level 2 training in echo, nuclear and cath in a 3-year fellowship

Location, location, location!

Fellows seemed to be happy

Multiple sites (VA, Santa Monica etc) ensure that there is enough exposure to bread and butter cardiology. I want to be a better general cardiologist before I can do TAVRs, ACHD etc.

STAR pathway prolongs fellowship by 2-3 years but ensures enough protected research time, able to get MPH/PhD during fellowship

In terms of academic reputation for cardiology UCLA > Cedars, USC

PD Karol Watson was very personable and would be a great mentor

Affiliation with VA (VA was previously with Cedars)

Cons

Atmosphere can be a little malignant, too much politics

Low interventional numbers at Raegan

Average imaging

heart failure not as strong as it used to be (trying to make a come-back)

Attendings and fellows appeared overworked

3. UCSF

Pros

Great EP, ACHD and PH programs, very strong echo lab

Very strong academic reputation

Between the 3 sites and Mission Bay campus there are plenty of opportunities for clinical and bench research- all subspecialties of cardiology are well represented.

Has 3 different settings for clinical training (VA, county-SFGH, Moffit- quaternary level medicine). The sites compliment each other well (for example cath numbers at Moffitt are low; however fellows get great diagnostic cath training at SFGH and VA).

Strong representation of women in faculty

Faculty seemed to be very supportive and nice (unlike few big east coast places I looked at).

Great interface with tech industry in SF

Few graduates have gone on to avant garde career paths like tech and finance. Most trainees pursue traditional academic and private practice routes.

Able to get level 2 cath, echo and nuclear in 3 year fellowship.

Cons

Low interventional and transplant volume- Stanford beats them here. Low procedural volume at Moffitt in general (like caths, TEE).

Very busy first year (almost 60-70 home calls)

First two years are very busy (3rd year is all elective is a big pro)

Lot of emphasis is on ‘learning by doing’ and didactics in fellowship are few

Few attendings are hyper-obsessive (AKA perfectionists) and there is too much emphasis on trying to outshine one’s colleagues (competitive atmosphere)

4. UCLA harbor- nice program, county hospital (some lack of resources like very limited 3D echo etc), collegial, did not stand out except for cardiac CT. Graduates are able to match in to better subspecialty fellowships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The big ones in california are UCSF, Stanford and UCLA

Last edited:
Help! Of my 15 Cardiology Fellowship interviews, 5 were in California. How would you rank these programs: Scripps Green, CPMC, UCLA Harbor, USC and Kaiser LA.

Any insight into these programs would be super helpful.

Depends on your goals after fellowship. Kaiser LA and Scripps Green have excellent interventional fellowships and you may have a leg up if you thrive as a general fellow. Harbor, USC, CPMC have very well-rounded programs with great clinical training. I would rank these primarily based on which part of CA you prefer to train in (bay area vs LA vs SD).

Also keep in mind that you'll take care of a different patient population at USC and Harbor as compared to Scripps, CPMC and Kaiser LA.

What are the strongest program in california for EP?

Bump for 2020 season. In particular, any thoughts on how USC's program compares to other academic programs in California or in general. Keck ranks relatively well on US News for cardiology, but I'm not sure how that translates into the fellowship as a whole, in particular with everything that's happened in recent years.