calculus and physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amanda C

undergrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I am just trying to figure out a few things. How much calculus and physics are used in Pharm school?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out if I should take calc II, and if I should go with calc based physics instead of algebra based. Also, it a good idea to take physics II as well?

Most of me wants to go ahead and take calc and phys II, just because. If it's not needed, maybe it will just look better on my transcripts that I've taken it. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying to pharmacy schools, then you need to look at the pre-req of the schools that you want to apply to. All the schools I applied to require 3-quarter or 2 semesters of physics (Physics I, II, and III) and both Calculus I and Calculus II. I don't really recommend you taking cal based physics because those are generally for engineer majors and they are a lot harder than the algebra based ones. Again, only take them if the schools you apply to require them. If you want your transcript to look better and to help you in pharmacy school, then take bio-chem or immunology or microbiology. Those are a few that I can think of right now and they'd help you more in pharmacy school than physics and calculus.

If you're applying to pharmacy schools, then you need to look at the pre-req of the schools that you want to apply to. All the schools I applied to require 3-quarter or 2 semesters of physics (Physics I, II, and III) and both Calculus I and Calculus II. I don't really recommend you taking cal based physics because those are generally for engineer majors and they are a lot harder than the algebra based ones. Again, only take them if the schools you apply to require them. If you want your transcript to look better and to help you in pharmacy school, then take bio-chem or immunology or microbiology. Those are a few that I can think of right now and they'd help you more in pharmacy school than physics and calculus.

Thanks. So what I take from it is that the knowledge gained from calc and physics which is actually used in pharm school is just the basic understanding of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check pre-req's. No need for calc II or calculus based physics. Most of my classmates suck at physics. It won't make you look any better to have those classes.