Calculator in pcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

joe332

hey guys , can anyone please tell me if i can use a calculator on the math part of the pcat test or not? i looked in kaplan and it doesn't say anything about it and nor does harcourt. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

joe332 said:
hey guys , can anyone please tell me if i can use a calculator on the math part of the pcat test or not? i looked in kaplan and it doesn't say anything about it and nor does harcourt. :laugh:

Nope you cant use a calculator at any time during the test

From talking to the people who weren't comfortable in math, there's more then enough time to do the figures on the booklet, if you know what you are doing. Some were dreading not having a calculator, afterwards they felt pretty sheepish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. I am achingly poor at math, and I still had plenty of time to finish all of the problems and look at my work. I did feel sort of silly about worrying so much. :rolleyes:

you guys must be math inclined =) I was able to finish the math but just barely with no time to check my work.

Amith said:
you guys must be math inclined =) I was able to finish the math but just barely with no time to check my work.

I skipped one problem completely and guestimated on two. My problem is that I underestimated the math on the section and had to really jog my memory on some stuff. ;)

The one I had to guess on was a solve for x where there was a ugly fraction with a polynomial on the bottom. I spent too much time of it, and had to rush the last 10. ;)

DownonthePharm said:
Yep. I am achingly poor at math, and I still had plenty of time to finish all of the problems and look at my work. I did feel sort of silly about worrying so much. :rolleyes:

I asked this on a new thread tonight but haven't received an answer yet. Since you say you're "poor" at math you'd be perfect to ask. I am starting my pre-pharm required courses this fall, but its been 18 years since I've taken College Algebra. Should I retake it before taking precalculus and chemistry 1, or just get started and refresh myself as needed?

I thought college algebra WAS pre-calculus?

Anyhow, I think you would be fine not retaking it, maybe get yourself a review book for basic standardized test math and look over that before you start your math classes. That type of book was enough to get me from "math poor" to "able to finish PCAT math in time allowed".