calc 3 or research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: I often try as much as I can to help out and respond to people's random questions, so heres one that pertains to my future in dentistry, but is no doubt of a random nature...
Next semester I am not sure of either doing research, or taking calc 3. Mind you I'll also be taking organic 2, organic 2 lab (there is only one lab for organic chemistry at UF and its taken with organic 2), analytical chemistry, and analyical chem lab, along with studying for the DAT I plan to take in April...already enrolled with Kaplan beggining in January. Now I thought about doing the research AND calc 3, but I want to be realistic here, I'm just not sure if thats "doable" to my standards if I'll also be studying for the DAT. I need calc 3 for my major, and am sure it would look swell on my app for dental schools this june, but wouldn't research look swell as well? Also, I am good at calc, but do not especially like it...it takes a little study time for me to pull my A's...what would you do in this position?

Members don't see this ad.

hehe i was a math major in undergrad. calc 3 kicked my a$$! it is not as doable as 1 or 2. if you decide to take it make sure you invest in nice caclulator. TI-89! it is more of the same stuff but more pain in the butt. double integration, double derivatives. mix all that with logs, cosine, bla bla bla you get the picture. you have to draw 3-D graphs. no more X-Y. it is XYZ time baby!! be sure you know how to caculate areas under the plane that is formed by various pain in the butt equations. i will do research if i were you. where are you goign to use calc 3 in dental school? i have no idea, do you have to caclulate the surface area of occusal, buccal, miseal and stuff? that could be fun.

kwakster928 said:
hehe i was a math major in undergrad. calc 3 kicked my a$$! it is not as doable as 1 or 2. if you decide to take it make sure you invest in nice caclulator. TI-89! it is more of the same stuff but more pain in the butt. double integration, double derivatives. mix all that with logs, cosine, bla bla bla you get the picture. you have to draw 3-D graphs. no more X-Y. it is XYZ time baby!! be sure you know how to caculate areas under the plane that is formed by various pain in the butt equations. i will do research if i were you. where are you goign to use calc 3 in dental school? i have no idea, do you have to caclulate the surface area of occusal, buccal, miseal and stuff? that could be fun.

I felt Calc 3 was easier than Calc 2. Mind you if you do take research for credit you'll have to put in several hours a week, which might equal the same time that you'll need to study for Calc 3. I took it freshman year, and if your good at math it probably wont be a problem. But i would do research for credit, as there probably wont be as much outside work, although there will be some.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would definately take calc 3. out of all the three calc, i thought calc 3 was the easiest.

i must be dumbest of all, but perhaps it was because i was taking 3 other 300 level math couses at the same time. ehh i didn't like calc anyway, i am more of stats person.

Trust me, I would not take calc 3 just to take it, I'm taking it for my major which I really need to finish before d-school, I'm a junior. Its either calc 3 or research, not both, so while I'm sure research will be of less time, will it look better? Some have told me yes, some no...just looking for opinions, have to give the dental school the okay on research come Tuesday...and yes, the research is dental related and conducted at University of Florida College of Dentistry.

RESEARCH! (if you haven't done it before)

research will always look better than any academic class on your transcript, as it is outside the required curriculum. it shows that you know how to work on your own, that you are familiar with working with scientists/conducting experiments. above all (at least for me) it may help direct you in your path in life (how can you be so sure you don't want to do grad school? check out research before scratching that off your list).

AND research also provides manual dexterity, whether you're working with chemicals, cells, or mice.

You all make good points here...I'll let him know that I'll be most likely dropping calc 3...and picking up some research credit.

If you've never done research, do the research. The class just won't stand out. Plus if you can put off calc 3 until your last semester, you won't have to worry about it as much.

Calc 3 ? Why... why would you do that to yourself?? :D Do some research. Or if your grades are good and you'll get in without research take something fun. Scuba, photography, guitar, Spanish, anything but "real" classes. Life is short; have fun.

Research Research and More Research! I got A's in Calc 1 and 2.. (didn't take 3 because I didn't need it) but no one at my interviews CARED that I got A's in those.. they cared about my research! If you HAVE to take it for your major, then I understand why you are doing it... but with the "full load" you already have planned, maybe do some research and take Calc 3 later on?