Cal Vet tuition waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted752061

This is a long shot, but I have a question for any California residents who are planning on taking advantage of the CalVet College Fee Waiver, offered to qualified veterans and dependents of veterans (making under $12k/yr). Theoretically, if you qualify and are accepted into a UC (big "if"), tuition is completely waived.

You can read about eligibility here: https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx

I'm wondering if you or anyone you know has successfully used this to waive tuition at a UC medical school, and what your experiences were. Is this something you had to disclose during the application process? Are there any schools or programs this does not apply to? I haven't found much info online and most university financial departments seem unaware of the program (except for one that I've spoken to). Needless to say, this makes the UC's that much more attractive. Any info would help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a long shot, but I have a question for any California residents who are planning on taking advantage of the CalVet College Fee Waiver, offered to qualified veterans and dependents of veterans (making under $12k/yr). Theoretically, if you qualify and are accepted into a UC (big "if"), tuition is completely waived.

You can read about eligibility here: https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx

I'm wondering if you or anyone you know has successfully used this to waive tuition at a UC medical school, and what your experiences were. Is this something you had to disclose during the application process? Are there any schools or programs this does not apply to? I haven't found much info online and most university financial departments seem unaware of the program (except for one that I've spoken to). Needless to say, this makes the UC's that much more attractive. Any info would help!

I did it for undergrad at UCSD. It was great not to have any loans. I didn't have to disclose anything so to speak beyond having to go to the VA admin building to get it cleared every year which simply meant bringing some sort of proof that I was enrolled as s student and some other paperwork proven my parent was a veteran. Once approved I just sent it to the financial aid dept. at UCSD and they took care of the rest.

Don't believe that is something you need to disclose on an application for medical school.

It doesn't apply to private schools in CA. So Stanford Med would be off limits and probably that new California Northstate medical school since it is for-profit.

Reactions: 1 user

Were you able to finally use Cal Vet Fee Waiver for grad school?

Status
Not open for further replies.