Cadaver-based anatomy at the Irish medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femina7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Irish schools actually teach gross anatomy with cadavers, or is it just learning anatomy by pictures? Can anyone tell me about the curriculum? I'm applying to all 4 Irish schools in which North Americans may apply. Since I've already done physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and a ton of biology courses, I will only have to do 5 years. I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me about the schools, the curricula, the admissions process, etc... I've already submitted my application for 2005. Can anyone tell me what the interviews are like, etc? If you can also tell me how your interview experiences were, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for giving me some information. I would love to attend one of the Irish schools.

Members don't see this ad.

HEHEHE. Yes, the Irish schools are definitely cadaver based. They don't have the resources to be anything but cadaver-based. Of the 5-yr. program, the 1st two are pre-clinical (at the moment. There's always changes going around to try to get people exposed to patients earlier, and to see which things work and which don't). The last 3 years are clinical. You'd have skipped the basic science year, but when you enter you'll have to take anatomy, physiology, possibly biochem. And then your 2nd year, clinical biochem, neuroanatomy, pharmacology, microbiology, pathology. This is based off Trinity's curriculum, and by the time you enter, it won't be the same as it was for me since they've incorporated a bit of a PBL style after my year.

RCSI is the only one that gives interviews.

Thank you so much for the information. That helped a lot. On the Royal College of Surgeons gives interviews? Really? That's pretty cool. Thanks again! Trinity is my top choice. Do you really like it? How is Ireland? It also seems a bit cheaper than medical schools in the USA, at least for the ones out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like Trinity. But I knew that before coming here, I did a JYA year at Trinity and it was fabulous. The profs are great, and pretty approachable. The only downside is they seem to be in a constant shifting battle to find a curriculum that works, but they seem to be getting there, at least for the clinical side of things. But you still learn the material well and the profs are happy to answer q's and deal with the students. Especially Anatomy. The Anatomy dept are awesome. And it's really cool having lectures in archaic buildings. It makes you feel like you're walking into a 1920s black and white movie. My year has been pretty lucky in that the things they've tried for us generally work, so everyone's pretty happy. The Trinity environment is awesome. There is NOTHING better than sitting outside the Pav (Pavillion Bar) on a warm sunny day just drinking with your friends and chatting.

leorl said:
I really like Trinity. But I knew that before coming here, I did a JYA year at Trinity and it was fabulous. The profs are great, and pretty approachable. The only downside is they seem to be in a constant shifting battle to find a curriculum that works, but they seem to be getting there, at least for the clinical side of things. But you still learn the material well and the profs are happy to answer q's and deal with the students. Especially Anatomy. The Anatomy dept are awesome. And it's really cool having lectures in archaic buildings. It makes you feel like you're walking into a 1920s black and white movie. My year has been pretty lucky in that the things they've tried for us generally work, so everyone's pretty happy. The Trinity environment is awesome. There is NOTHING better than sitting outside the Pav (Pavillion Bar) on a warm sunny day just drinking with your friends and chatting.
The pav is enough to make you want to go to Trinity. It's really nice.