CA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although this isn't my case, I've seen a lot of members getting accepted at more than one CA school and have many doubts about which one to join, specially UOP and UCSF. So, I thought to start a thread where people will share their info on these two schools, to help members make such an important decision. If we all share our info, we could get a nice view of what's really going on with these schools. Of course, let's try not to put down or bash anyone or any school.

Let me start.

Did you know that if it existed a dental schools ranking, UCSF and UCLA will be within at least the top 5 schools? Both state schools are very top tier schools with great reputation, a lot of research going on, a lot of their graduates get accepted into specialty, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi meggs,

I read in the dental forum that UOP is good if you want be become a general practioner and also that the staff is very polite and does everything to help their students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I was talking to a Pedo resident in UCLA and I found out that from the first batch of the International students, this year 2 girls matched for specialty.. Theirs is a batch of 5. and I dont think all 5 must have applied. One (korean) got into the UCLA Ortho-Pedo program (one of its kind in the entire country) and the other one (Indian) got it in a Pedo program in New York.
So if one is interested in specialty, UCLA and UCSF undoubtedly supercede UOP and USC. I dont know much about Loma Linda.. but i dont see anyone on this forum getting into Loma Linda.. Ofcourse if one gets there, that is the ultimate choice!

Hey
The link is fixed.

sang

Thanks Sang.

The second list ranking looks weird to me. Where are the classical top tier Ivy League schools? Harvard, Columbia, Upenn, etc.?

Although they do recognize dental schools didn't provide the information, so how were they supossed to rank them?

This is the second ranking I've seeing, and I would seriously take them with a pinch of salt. :oops:

Meggs,

Yeah, but if you are a car, you will experience less corrosion if you are parked in a garage rather than being left exposed to the outside elements.

Originally posted by groundhog
Meggs,

Yeah, but if you are a car, you will experience less corrosion if you are parked in a garage rather than being left exposed to the outside elements.

VERY good one! :D

Hi groung hog,
what does 1k member mean?
:)
does that come when you have posted more than a thousand times?

hi

I think these rankings are basically for the regular DMD/DDs program and not based on the advanced standing students performance ....thats what I have heard.
Because I heard that the gpa and the performance of adv standing students at BU is much better than the regular dmd students. In that case even though bu is ranked below nyu I guess it doesn't make it a bad program.

Well but everyone tends to go by the ranking when one is in a position to choose the school .......even i would probably do that ..
but i think its better to talk to the students who r already in the program and compare the curriculum ...etc and see which one suits them better. This is my suggestion ...

I dont have the pevilige to choose.

Good luck to everyone in choosing the right school

Originally posted by lebelle
I think these rankings are basically for the regular DMD/DDs program and not based on the advanced standing students performance
That's right, they are based on the regular DDS curriculum. But is just to give IDP applicants an idea of the school in general.

Originally posted by bpl77
Hi all,
I found this link very informative and i think i made a mistake of applying only to UCLA and UCSF

Sang, I didn't feel like reading the whole thing, I'm lazy :oops: . What does it says that makes you regret applying only to those schools?

I agree with meggs. I read it partly, the documens is kind of ground work what UCSF has done before starting ID program.

Still I don't understand what makes you to think UCSF system could be inferior.

Best and reputed school with lots of heritage and very best faculty. When I spoke to couple of my friends who are currently in the second year did not presented any regrets, infact they are very happy with this program.

The way I look at it is, at the rate it is competing with rest of the schools. Its just two three years old and among one of the best programs. It is improving at very rapid pace.

I don't think you have to feel bad about it. Cheer it up...

-Charak