Ca resident/ gap year or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commoncold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resolved

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am currently a junior contemplating whether I should apply to med school this year or take a gap year because I feel as though my extracurricular activities are really weak.

-My gpa is about 3.92 and I haven't taken the MCAT, but I am hoping for at least a 32 and currently studying hard to achieve that.
-I have volunteered at the same hospital every summer since my freshman year
-Shadowed doctors in various specialities (Participated in SMDEP my freshman summer and actually got a lot of shadowing opportunities there( I am not a URM))
-President of a club that provides music lessons to elementary school students (I have been a music teacher volunteer since high school) because I am really passionate about music.
-Did one summer of research at biology lab (worked around 30/week) and presented my work to the research center at the end of the summer.

As you can see, I don't have that many activities and feel as though I lack a lot compared to other pre-meds, but I did few activities that I truly enjoyed.

If I applied this coming round, would I have a shot or should I take a gap year to improve?
If i do have a chance, what kinds of schools should I apply to? I know it's hard to tell without my MCAT score, but assuming I can get over 32, how are things looking for me?

Looks fine pending MCAT score. Congratulations on the impressive GPA. Quality > Quantity when it comes to EC's as long as you have the requisites. If you're still worried, just apply to a larger number of schools.