*CA Resident* 3.5GPA/35 MCAT nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobafett87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
3.5 GPA (multiple univ with a brief period of poor grades sophomore yr) / 35 MCAT (12/11/12)
2.5 years biotech industry, graduated May 2010 Chemical Engr
~400+ hours volunteer scribe at a free clinic (total hours include estimated volunteer hours until next August 2014 - otherwise only 80 hours)
~150 hours paid tutoring
~500+ hours non-clinical undergrad and postbac research (not employment related) in biotech (if that counts for anything)
2 engr faculty LOR and 1 direct work supervisor LOR (could request another work supervisor LOR and a volunteer coordinator LOR)
no biology pre-requisite courses (will take Fall 2013-Spring 2014)

Would a volunteer coordinator LOR be beneficial to my application? I am not sure if they would be able to write a strong LOR. My main goal is to stay in CA in either an MD or DO program. I am open to OOS programs, but I am only aware of a select few from word of mouth recommendations. Any input is welcome, thanks!!!

Schools List (a bit top heavy):
1. UCSF (Reach)
2. Stanford (Reach)
3. UCLA (Reach)
4. UCSD (Reach)
5. USC
6. UCD
7. UCI
8. Loma Linda
9. Einstein
10. Univ of Kentucky
11. Mayo (Reach)
12. OHSU (Reach)
13. Drexel
14. UT Houston
15. Univ of Wash (WA)
16. Arizona, Phoenix
17. Arizona, Tuscon
18. Touro Univ - DO (CA)
19. Midwestern, Arizona (AZCOM) - DO (AZ)

Members don't see this ad.

Schools List (a bit top heavy):
1. UCSF (Reach)
2. Stanford (Reach)
3. UCLA (Reach)
4. UCSD (Reach)

5. USC
6. UCD
7. UCI
8. Loma Linda
9. Einstein
10. Univ of Kentucky
11. Mayo (Reach)
12. OHSU (Reach)
13. Drexel
14. UT Houston
15. Univ of Wash (WA)
16. Arizona, Phoenix
17. Arizona, Tuscon
18. Touro Univ - DO (CA)
19. Midwestern, Arizona (AZCOM) - DO (AZ)

You're right, your list is way too top heavy. Your list is essentially the same as applying to 10 schools. U of Washington is extremely unfriendly to OOSers. In other words, you probably have no chance unless you have strong ties to the area. They would likely not even send you a secondary. Oregon is a reach for similar reasons.

Thanks for the input I'll tone down the list and add more lower tier schools!