CA Intern Hours Submission: Pls Clarify

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjoshi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends

I am a foreign pharmacy graduate and a CA-intern in retail Pharmacy. I am close to completing my internship but am worried with the hours submission form which says about hospital/institution + community intern hours...

Pls if someone could clarify... Is it okay to complete all the hours in community pharmacy or do we have to get institutional experience too..Is there any specific distribution of hours between the two...

Pls advise

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

After 2005 all pharmacy schools in the US will have a mandatory PharmD program (Doctor of Pharmacy degree). CA is the very first state that have a pharmD program back in the 70's. The PharmD is different from the traditional BSP (BS in Pharmacy) w/ Clinicals rotations in the hospital (Institutional Interns hours). If you're a foreign graduate and you attended the School of Pharmacy in your country before 2005, I believe you're ok (you just need 1500hrs of retail). If you attend Pharm School after 2005 then you'll need "clinical" hours by enroll or attend some classes available for foreign grads or BSP track in PharmD.
My best bet is to check with the CA board of Pharm. Call them up, make sure you get a hold of somebody there, don't leave any voicemail cuz they never call back. Good luck!