C/O 2024 Campbell University PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scorpio1997

Reaction score
Hi guys! This thread is for anyone interested in attending Campbell University fall of 2020. Feel free to post anything such as stats, interview offers/tips, acceptance, questions, etc. Good luck to everyone applying.

A little info about me:
-overall GPA 3.55
-science GPA 3.71
-major biology, minor chemistry
-submitted application for ED 9/2/2019
-verified 9/3/2019

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, I decided not to take the PCAT as it is no longer required but recommended for applicants with a GPA below 3.0

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Be a plumber; you will make more money, have a better quality of life, have job security and won’t have to waste time with 200k loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be a plumber; you will make more money, have a better quality of life, have job security and won’t have to waste time with 200k loans.
I would rather not lol I prefer a career that I am passionate about.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of pharmacy experience do you have?
I don't have any experience working in a pharmacy. I do have experience working in a lab (2 years) & experience with direct patient care (CNA for 4 years). However, I did have a mentor that is a pharmacist that I was able to ask questions and gain more info about the profession.

I was offered an interview today for 9/12.

Go sit in a Walgreens, CVS and Walmart for an hour each and watch the pharmacist.

You def don’t know what you are getting into. I hope you don’t waste 4 years of your life to go into a field where you will probably make $15 an hour after you subtract loan repayment. And that’s IF you get a job.

You did say you are passionate though..

Reactions: 1 user
Go sit in a Walgreens, CVS and Walmart for an hour each and watch the pharmacist.

You def don’t know what you are getting into. I hope you don’t waste 4 years of your life to go into a field where you will probably make $15 an hour after you subtract loan repayment. And that’s IF you get a job.

You did say you are passionate though..
I understand and appreciate your concern. You seem to be referring to retail pharmacy (not interested in that field). Do you think the advice you gave applies for other types of pharmacists as well? Are you a pharmacist and is this something you personally experienced?

I am a hospital pharmacist and I am advising you to not enter pharmacy unless you have the open mind and willingness to work in the community setting because a majority of grads fall into this sector whether they like it or not. I'm just being straight forward because I see many miserable new grads working in the retail settings because they couldn't get their foot into hospital/industry setting like they wanted to. You're entering a very saturated time in the pharmacy world and by the time you graduate, you'll be lucky if you even find a full-time job in retail.

I am a hospital pharmacist and I am advising you to not enter pharmacy unless you have the open mind and willingness to work in the community setting because a majority of grads fall into this sector whether they like it or not. I'm just being straight forward because I see many miserable new grads working in the retail settings because they couldn't get their foot into hospital/industry setting like they wanted to. You're entering a very saturated time in the pharmacy world and by the time you graduate, you'll be lucky if you even find a full-time job in retail.
I appreciate your honesty and will take it into consideration. LOL way to put me in a tough spot though my interview is literally next week. I hope to start my career in hospital pharmacy (for loan forgiveness) then transfer into research as I already have a background in research and have connections at GlaxoSmithKline.

I appreciate your honesty and will take it into consideration. LOL way to put me in a tough spot though my interview is literally next week. I hope to start my career in hospital pharmacy (for loan forgiveness) then transfer into research as I already have a background in research and have connections at GlaxoSmithKline.

Okay also keep in mind that if you're trying to get your loan forgiven, the hospital has to be government or non-profit. Otherwise, loans are forgiven after 20 years regardless of where you work as long as you made scheduled payments towards your loan.

I understand and appreciate your concern. You seem to be referring to retail pharmacy (not interested in that field). Do you think the advice you gave applies for other types of pharmacists as well? Are you a pharmacist and is this something you personally experienced?
I hope to start my career in hospital pharmacy

That's you and every single pre-pharmacy student's goal right now because everybody knows retail has gone to ****. The problem is 60% of pharmacist jobs are in retail and only about 25% are hospital. And just because job opportunities in retail are declining it doesn't mean that new hospital positions are popping up to replace them. With almost 15,000 new PharmDs graduating per year still, we're going to get a hell of a lot of unemployed/underemployed/underpaid pharmacists soon. With wages in retail declining, we can pretty much expect hospital wages to drop soon too. Historically hospital wages only went up as retail wages increased. It's simple supply and demand. And you probably already know, residency is becoming the de-facto requirement for a hospital position. So is 6 years of post-grad education + six figure debt to only end up making less than $100k a year worth it for it for you (assuming you manage to land a residency then a job)? Definitely think about how passionate you are about this profession because it's a huge financial sacrifice at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)

You should put them in a tough spot during your interview next week. Can you ask them about the job outlook on pharmacists by the time you graduate? I'm just curious if they'll BS an answer and say, its "boominnnn and pharmacists are still in demand!" Really though, please ask them because I want to know their response lol

You should put them in a tough spot during your interview next week. Can you ask them about the job outlook on pharmacists by the time you graduate? I'm just curious if they'll BS an answer and say, its "boominnnn and pharmacists are still in demand!" Really though, please ask them because I want to know their response lol
Lol I will ask and let you know. Thanks I needed some questions to ask anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol I will ask and let you know. Thanks I needed some questions to ask anyway.
They basically said they see some fields such as retail shrinking but pharmacy and it's role is forever evolving and for that reason new jobs will become available

They basically said they see some fields such as retail shrinking but pharmacy and it's role is forever evolving and for that reason new jobs will become available

Lol. I like how dodged that question. When will these new jobs become available and where can I find them??? They have always said that pharmacy is evolving but I haven't heard or seen any positive stuff from our field yet.

God I wish I was there. I would grill them so hard. What new jobs will be available? What data do you have that contradicts BLS projections? How fast is this evolution take place because bitch I'm going to be 16k in debt in 4 years?

I would not count on PSLF to get your loans forgiven. About 99% of applicants are denied.

very very very few rph's work in research, it is unbelievably difficult to get a position there, so I would never count on it. Like has been said, the vast majority of Rph's work in retail - so if you would hate that as a job, do not go into pharmacy. (and this is coming from someone who enjoys their job)

-I decided not to take the PCAT as it is no longer required but recommended for applicants with a GPA below 3.0
-overall GPA 3.55
-science GPA 3.71
-no direct experience working in a pharmacy, but had a mentor that is a pharmacist and have 5 years experience as CNA