C- in a prereq course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will med schools accept a C- in a prereq course. I got a C- in general bio II. But I am a bio major and I have taken 5 upper div courses since and have gotten straight A's in all of these courses. Do you think that I will need to take the g-bio class over again or will my upper div classes, or will my upper div bio courses make up for my C-?

Members don't see this ad.

haha let me guess... that was Bio1B? Well, hopefully med schools should be able to see your improvement in Bio over the years. I'm hoping for the same thing b/c I got a B in Bio1A and a B- in Bio1B, but got straight A's in all of my upper-div MCB courses. So far no one's asked me about that B- at interviews. I wouldn't worry too much b/c you've definitely showed great improvement.

Someone told me that I would probably have to retake it bc most med schools require that u have a C or higher in the pre reqs. Was this person mistakened or is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard about any med schools with specific requirements for pre req grades. How did you guys do so well in upper div MCB? I'm getting killed in MCB 100, and mauled in Chem 130A.

Nrai2001, now that you mention it, I have heard that too. I think the best person to ask is the pre-med advisor (Patti Meyer). But I'm pretty sure it only applies to grades below C-... so you may be just fine.

pintertinkle--i was CDB. so that should answer your question.

Hey I think I was the person who said you'd have to retake the class. I have a friend who has some C-'s on her transcript and is taking those classes over (our premed advisor told us nothing lower than a C in prereqs).

I guess I'm not sure if this is blanket policy, although I thought it was. Anyway I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.

well if you had me for your ugsi i would have hooked you up haha.

hope everything goes well. bio1b over the summer isnt bad from what my friends say. i really liked that course.

Checl the requirements for each school. Some say nothing lower than a C, others don't seem to care.