c~3.6 s3.44 no MCAT yet, low post-bac grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankee172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just trying to figure out what my chances are here. I know it's hard to judge without an MCAT score, but please bear with me.

I went to a prestigious undergrad school and graduated in 2010 with a 3.64, then did a relatively prestigious post-bac program at the same difficult school, and completed that in 2011 with a 3.02 (definitely my weak point). Most of my post-bac classes were Bs, with a couple As peppered in, and one lousy C+ in orgo 2. I took a decent amount of science as an undergrad tho, so it brought my science GPA up to a 3.44. My undergrad grades were consistantly As and a few Bs, with no real black marks.

As an undergrad I originally intended to apply to PhD programs, and as a result I've been doing research every year since I was a freshman (both at my university and at the NIH). I have 3 publications (2 as first author) and another that should be published in the next few months. I even did some independent research in high school, although nothing was published. As a post-bac, I shadowed a doc at a local free clinic (lots of low-income patients, really interesting experience), and I'm currently working full time doing clinical research at a children's hospital and using this opportunity to shadow and get lots of exposure to the medical field.

As for ECs, I was very involved in the psych honor society in college and eventually became the VP. I also spent a lot of time tutoring kids, and I was on the varsity crew team my freshman year (brutal). Last summer I cycled 4,000 miles across the country with a cancer charity, and served as one of the trip leaders (extremely demanding, both before and during the ride). I'm still involved with the organization. Save the bike trip, this was all before I decided I wanted to pursue an MD, so I didn't do a lot of the stuff that most pre-meds do. I tell myself that what I did was genuine and driven only by my interests though, so hopefully that will come through in my application.

I'm from NY, just outside of NYC, and would be thrilled to go to one of our state schools (I even have a bit of a connection at one, more than just "one of my parents went there"). I'm also a white male. I have a very strong preference for an MD over a DO. If I can't get into any MD programs, I will do what I have to until I can.

I know it's tough to make a call without MCAT data (taking it on April 5th!), but I'm trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or take another year off and try to boost my science GPA a bit. My plan is not to retake the MCATs if I get a 32, with at least a 10 in all sections.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you had a downward trend which is not good and in the Sciences just makes it worse. At this point you're going to have to kill the MCAT as you stated > 32 would be good. The safer bet would be to also take more Science classes and make an upward trend. In the end we can't really give you a definite answer until we actually see your MCAT score. Of course if you score amazing on the MCAT you could possibly apply this year with strong ECs. Start another thread or come back once you have the information including the dates/period of time of your ECs. Good luck!

Along with the low post bacc gpa which obviously doesn't look good, unless you just didn't mention it, you don't have any clinical volunteering or shadowing. Your other ECs are really good, but I would definitely question how you know you want to go to med school if you have never had any experience at all in the medical field. I wouldn't apply until you have a good amount of that stuff. Plus, with your 3.0 post bacc gpa I don't see you getting in anyway. I would take another year of science classes (and you definitely HAVE to get A's, B's are not going to help you at this point), and do some of the medically relevant Ecs and then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't have any clinical volunteering or shadowing. Your other ECs are really good, but I would definitely question how you know you want to go to med school if you have never had any experience at all in the medical field.

Thanks for the input. Quick question though - how does shadowing a doc in a clinic and then working full time in a hospital not count as clinical experience? I'm a bit confused...

Also, let's say I take another year off to take classes. Right now my science GPA is the result of 25 classes (according to AAMC guidelines), meaning As in 4 more classes would bring it up about 0.1 points (I'd still have to work full-time next year, so 4 is a realistic number, maybe even a bit high). Is a shift from a 3.44 to a 3.54 after some community college science classes really a game changer?

Thanks all, every bit of advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the input. Quick question though - how does shadowing a doc in a clinic and then working full time in a hospital not count as clinical experience? I'm a bit confused...

Also, let's say I take another year off to take classes. Right now my science GPA is the result of 25 classes (according to AAMC guidelines), meaning As in 4 more classes would bring it up about 0.1 points (I'd still have to work full-time next year, so 4 is a realistic number, maybe even a bit high). Is a shift from a 3.44 to a 3.54 after some community college science classes really a game changer?

Thanks all, every bit of advice is appreciated.

Whoops, sorry, must have missed it. I saw the other unique ECs, but somehow missed the other stuff. Well then you are good! I would still wait a year and take some science though, because applying with the downward trending post bacc will definitely hurt you. I don't think it is the overall sgpa that would look bad....it's the fact that the most recent classes you have taken haven't been stellar. You could try and apply this and take some classes at the same time and send in an update letter, but that is more of a gamble.

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out what my chances are here. I know it's hard to judge without an MCAT score, but please bear with me.

I went to a prestigious undergrad school and graduated in 2010 with a 3.64, then did a relatively prestigious post-bac program at the same difficult school, and completed that in 2011 with a 3.02 (definitely my weak point). Most of my post-bac classes were Bs, with a couple As peppered in, and one lousy C+ in orgo 2. I took a decent amount of science as an undergrad tho, so it brought my science GPA up to a 3.44. My undergrad grades were consistantly As and a few Bs, with no real black marks.

As an undergrad I originally intended to apply to PhD programs, and as a result I've been doing research every year since I was a freshman (both at my university and at the NIH). I have 3 publications (2 as first author) and another that should be published in the next few months. I even did some independent research in high school, although nothing was published. As a post-bac, I shadowed a doc at a local free clinic (lots of low-income patients, really interesting experience), and I'm currently working full time doing clinical research at a children's hospital and using this opportunity to shadow and get lots of exposure to the medical field.

As for ECs, I was very involved in the psych honor society in college and eventually became the VP. I also spent a lot of time tutoring kids, and I was on the varsity crew team my freshman year (brutal). Last summer I cycled 4,000 miles across the country with a cancer charity, and served as one of the trip leaders (extremely demanding, both before and during the ride). I'm still involved with the organization. Save the bike trip, this was all before I decided I wanted to pursue an MD, so I didn't do a lot of the stuff that most pre-meds do. I tell myself that what I did was genuine and driven only by my interests though, so hopefully that will come through in my application.

I'm from NY, just outside of NYC, and would be thrilled to go to one of our state schools (I even have a bit of a connection at one, more than just "one of my parents went there"). I'm also a white male. I have a very strong preference for an MD over a DO. If I can't get into any MD programs, I will do what I have to until I can.

I know it's tough to make a call without MCAT data (taking it on April 5th!), but I'm trying to decide whether I should apply this cycle or take another year off and try to boost my science GPA a bit. My plan is not to retake the MCATs if I get a 32, with at least a 10 in all sections.

Thoughts?
How long ago did you earn the C+? (I'm looking for a recent upward grade trend.)
Are you taking any classes right now? What?
You must have taken some upper-level Bio and maybe Biochem? What classes were they and what grades did you earn? If the prerequisites didn't go so well, great grades in the upper-levels can redeem them.
If you do take more science classes, are you confident you can give them the time to earn As? More Bs will not help your case and would be a waste of money.
Are you aware of the attitudes of your in-state med schools toward reapplicants? Some schools discourage this on their website and others don't care. A few limit you to 2-3 efforts.