Buying Into a Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PointyNippers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to buy into a practice in August once my associate contract expires. The doc that's retired is working on a proposal for sale of his stock.

This is my first time treading these waters. What are some essential things to know/do for this situation?

I will most likely be getting a loan to buy into the practice, will I need to form an LLC and apply for an SBA loan afterward? Or is there a better way to do this?

Will I need to pay to get another appraisal done on my own, or should I just get a lawyer to review the retired doc's proposal?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Another source for information might also be that Facebook group called IPED. There are some folks on there that have done this.

Good luck!

100% have lawyer read contract. A buddy of mine bought "shares" of pp and when he left the practice he discovered the owner had heavily diluted the shares resulting in decreased value. He lost $100k of value when he left. Sad but common story in Podiatry.

I believe "shares" are a scam unless part of a large MSG where there is an actual K1 distribution and more transparency about collections and profit.

If the doc is retired the practice is only worth the building (if owned) and the equipment (chairs, instrumentation, etc). The patient base is not owned and is worthless if another group opens up next door. If you pay anything over that you are getting taken for a ride.

If it were me I would go out on my own. No shenanigans and 100% transparency because you are the owner.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are some essential things to know/do for this situation?

1683828048681.jpeg

Hopefully valuation/buy out/partnership has already been laid out. If not, congratulations on paying the owner for your own production/value added to the practice since you’ve been there. If nothing is in writing to this point then there’s really nothing to do until you see what he’s asking from a purchase price and valuation standpoint. Obviously you’ll want an attorney to go through the contract with you. You may or may not be able to get a loan for the purchase so you may end up needing to have the owner finance it which is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. Can be beneficial for both of you. SBA loan will take 3-4 months (if it’s even an option) so don’t think you’re gonna get a contract from the owner and have funds to purchase any time soon if you were to go the SBA route. You may or may not need to form an LLC, really depends on how you are buying the practice, or buying out the retiring doc (keeping business name, contracts, etc.). I would find as many people as possible who have done this recently and ask for advice. IPED on Facebook will have some people with good info and others who are small minded or older and don’t live in reality. Or got screwed and think it’s the norm. You’ll have to sift through any advice on their (and here for that matter) carefully.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
View attachment 371179

Hopefully valuation/buy out/partnership has already been laid out. If not, congratulations on paying the owner for your own production/value added to the practice since you’ve been there. If nothing is in writing to this point then there’s really nothing to do until you see what he’s asking from a purchase price and valuation standpoint. Obviously you’ll want an attorney to go through the contract with you. You may or may not be able to get a loan for the purchase so you may end up needing to have the owner finance it which is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. Can be beneficial for both of you. SBA loan will take 3-4 months (if it’s even an option) so don’t think you’re gonna get a contract from the owner and have funds to purchase any time soon if you were to go the SBA route. You may or may not need to form an LLC, really depends on how you are buying the practice, or buying out the retiring doc (keeping business name, contracts, etc.). I would find as many people as possible who have done this recently and ask for advice. IPED on Facebook will have some people with good info and others who are small minded or older and don’t live in reality. Or got screwed and think it’s the norm. You’ll have to sift through any advice on their (and here for that matter) carefully.
Thanks for featuring me on that meme, bro 🙂🤩

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Talk to the attorney, they can explain a lot.

Some good points here... usually have to do it with shares if it's owner-financed and you can't afford the buyout or get a loan for full price + cushion to improve it.
It needs to be totally spelled out in the contract how the share and ownership transfer goes down and when.
The transition period should be no more than a year.

It's not a bad option to buy out, but you will almost always overpay. I looked into buyout a few times, but I just found they were all over-inflated for how much they were really bringing in. The values are very subjective since no two practices are alike (rep, refers, equipment, PAYERS, location, etc etc). Then again, it's hard to acquire new patients in some areas, so there's that reason to look at buyouts to not be uber slow early on.

...Also, as mentioned, depending on the area, be aware that going solo startup is nowhere near as hard or expensive as you probably think it is (especially if you already have any foothold in the area for rep and refers). It is very nice to pick your equipment, location, staff, plan, etc etc instead of have it most decided for you by the outgoing doc. COVID was also a bit of a reset for PPs, and pts come out of hiding and some are open to changing to a better option in the area.

Reactions: 3 users
Be prepared for some patients (maybe more than you’d think) to leave once they find out you don’t do certain things their previous doctor did. Whether that was monthly steroid injections for years on end, no charge visits, concierge style communication, etc.

It’s important to know HOW the doctor you’re buying out practiced and how their relationships with their patient base was. The MA’s always know and will tell it to you straight, at least in my experience. Was the doctor old? Are you young? That can be an issue with patient retention. It shouldn’t, but it’s a very real truth.

At the end of the day, once things get up and running, you’ll find that you care more about the niche you carved out yourself than what was already there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the advice friends.

Here is the current situation - It was a 2 doc practice (one of the oldest practices in the area)

The doc (doc #1) that's selling his shares retired end of 2021. The other doc (doc #2) hired me as an associate Fall 2022, he currently owns the other 50% of the practice.
I will be buying shares from retired doc #1 once my 1 year associate contract expires. Doc #1 tells me verbally that the valuation of the practice will be based on year 2021, the year before I came onboard.
I have been basically inheriting doc #1's patients and so I am familiar with the way he works and the patients know upfront that I do not operate the same way doc #1 did - and they are fine with it. Doc #2 is open to changes to the practice once I become partner (I have ideas of essentially "modernizing" it)

Also, Doc #2 is planning to retire in the next 2-3 years or so - so I may be buying him out down the road as well.
Still waiting doc #1's proposal for the offer

Here is the current situation - It was a 2 doc practice (one of the oldest practices in the area)

The doc (doc #1) that's selling his shares retired end of 2021. The other doc (doc #2) hired me as an associate Fall 2022, he currently owns the other 50% of the practice.
I will be buying shares from retired doc #1 once my 1 year associate contract expires. Doc #1 tells me verbally that the valuation of the practice will be based on year 2021, the year before I came onboard.
I have been basically inheriting doc #1's patients and so I am familiar with the way he works and the patients know upfront that I do not operate the same way doc #1 did - and they are fine with it. Doc #2 is open to changes to the practice once I become partner (I have ideas of essentially "modernizing" it)

Also, Doc #2 is planning to retire in the next 2-3 years or so - so I may be buying him out down the road as well.

Prepare to be disappointed. As everyone here has recommend you should probably just open up your own practice, preferably right next to this mustache after he gives you some absurd valuation.

Reactions: 2 users
Prepare to be disappointed. As everyone here has recommend you should probably just open up your own practice, preferably right next to this mustache after he gives you some absurd valuation.

I think an unrealistic value/share price is to be expected, but the associate may actually have some leverage in this case. One partner is already gone and should be getting a % of the other partners profits for not working at all. That means you could pit one partner against the other if need be. The other partner would like to leave soon and so they too want the sale of the retiring docs shares to go through otherwise they have to start all over with another associate. I guess they could have already been in talks with PE which hurts the associates negotiating power. Seems like you could actually get a reasonable purchase price in a scenario like this but it’s podiatry so the OP should definitely plan on saying “no” and opening up shop nearby. I’ll be curious to see if he/she comes back to post what the asking price is…

There's a lot here that makes me cringe.

1. The first doctor is retired. He was retired before you even got there. He was no longer seeing patients. He doesn't have a practice. Now he owns half of the depreciated equipment of the practice.

2. Note that the partner who stayed didn't buy them out at the time even though the partner who stayed is the person who inherited this person's "practice". All the patients that stayed went to doctor #2. Why isn't doctor #2 paying through the nose for the right to this good will? Why hasn't doctor #2 cut him a buy-out for the equipment? Or for the patients?

3. How will this person be paid if you leave (they won't). Imagine trying to explain their compensation/buy-out to a new associate if you left. Well 2 years ago there was a partner and he wants to be paid based on 2021. Ugh huh. What would a private equity pay these people? They wouldn't.

4. Valuations based on past value are essentially almost always bad. Somehow overhead never comes up. If you want to give this person money - the only things you should take into account are your cash flow and cost to start a new practice verse the value of continuing uninterrupted.

5. It gets worse though. You are currently to buy some sort of elevated past value. There will presumably be a negotiation with some past person who isn't there anymore. Then in the future you are to buy some sort of elevated future value from a departing partner. How many buy-outs must a young podiatrist purchase to be free these days? In 2-3 years you'll already have a full cohort of patients. What are you supposed to do with this guys patients?

6. I'm not even going to touch the fact that you will be stuck over the next 3 years with a partner who is already trying to walk out the door. And the whole "50% shares" thing leads to so much trouble. Before I bought in - I believed that doing some sort of equitable balanced overhead approach to a practice made sense ie. better to have lower overhead with 2 doctors, try to function harmoniously. Now I'm 100% a believer that everyone should be EAT WHAT YOU F&*(ing KILL. Last year I was up like more than $100K in collections on my partner. This year I'm already like $70K half way through the year on them. Every dollar of bonus money we split last year should have been mine. Guy was overpaid on what he got to keep through the year for how little he brought in. But my situation is still "better" than what someone could argue. Imagine a partner who believes profit should be split simply on ownership. You could have 2 doctors with unequal collections and the lower arguing at the end of the year that the "profit" should be split 50/50 because he owns 50%. Where I'm going with this is - you must have a plan for how profit is divided.

7. I also don't believe that you can buy a podiatry practice and not have a fixed value for your buy-out for total ownership. Whatever you buy this first buy out for - the second guy will think he deserves more because he was still there. There's a very real finite price to starting your own practice. The cost of funding old losers retirements is limited only by their imagination.

8. In the end a podiatrist can only make so much money. Historically some associate to partner tracts in other medical specialties result in people jumping from $300-400 up to $600-1000 ie. the partnership jump is enormous. I don't think most podiatrists undergo that sort of jump. Excess cash flow of hundreds of thousands of dollars can pay for exhorbitant partnerships. Jumping from $150K to $225K or something like that isn't worth $800K.

Just for your interest. I bought into a practice.
1. There was an original owner/founder. They had been slowing down - for years. They had a partner of 20-25 years, something like that.
2. The founder essentially retired during Covid. While they were in the process of retiring - they were handing off patients to me. They'd bring me into the room, introduce me, and then schedule the patient with me for the next visit. Yeah, they were c&cs. So there was some overlap as far as the original owner working part time, his partner working full time, and myself working full time.
3. I was presented with a total buy-in for the practice including all equipment etc but not the office. I was to buy 50% now and 50% when my partner retired, whenever that will be. His future buy-out is set in the current contract ie. his 50% of shares is already defined as $X.
4. At the time of my buy-in I had finally gotten to something in line with a full practice. I took home a bit over $200K the year I bought in. Pronation or some hospital person will be along in a little to laugh at the PP doctors and their garbage pay. I'm on track to do better this year.
5. When I consider my buy-in against values I've heard - its less than some, more than others. Total buy-in is less than I made last year. Airbud/dtrack have at times posted start-up costs for offices and they've argued that it costs way less to start an office than you'd think. My 50% buy-in was more than those offices cost. I obviously had the benefit of continuing my already established practice, not interrupting case flow / privs, theoretical unobtainable board certifications etc.
6. I'm torn at times. My partner has an attitude. When I'm being generous I think - we're sharing overhead, two is more efficient than one. Other times I just wish I had my own thing. I don't know when he will retire. Sometimes he says he wants to practice another 10 years. Othertimes he has a meltdown and I think - today is the day. If he quit before working with me for another 3-4 years then I overpaid ie. I won't get the benefit of lower overhead and I'll be digging into my wallet to write a check when I should be restocking my cash. My perfect world would likely be that he rapidly begins some sort of transition to part time c&c while we hire an associate. I strongly suspect the health of the stock market will be another factor in his level of interest in retiring.

Most of the above should probably make people think "I just need to start my own damn thing".

I'm not even going to touch the fact that you will be stuck over the next 3 years with a partner who is already trying to walk out the door. And the whole "50% shares" thing leads to so much trouble. Before I bought in - I believed that doing some sort of equitable balanced overhead approach to a practice made sense ie. better to have lower overhead with 2 doctors, try to function harmoniously. Now I'm 100% a believer that everyone should be EAT WHAT YOU F&*(ing KILL.
This is really crucial. Not just in podiatry. Accounting firms, law firms, architecture firms etc there are stories of people becoming partner and getting really lazy because the pie gets split up equally and everyone gets the same shaped slice no matter what they do.

"Eat what you kill" is advantageous for the underproducing partners as well because it incentivizes productivity which drives up the final valuation of the business.

There are some really basic but really important fundamentals of accounting that every partner should know. Meaning don't buy in if you don't understand it and don't partner with someone who doesn't understand it either. Example here: distinguish equity share vs income share. Sorry I can't take time to write a longer response/clarify my position

Reactions: 1 users
Pronation or some hospital person will be along in a little to laugh at the PP doctors and their garbage pay. I'm on track to do better this year.

We only awkwardly laugh at PP associates bringing home a nurses pay. But I will throw some shade and say that if you put the same amount of labor in that you did making that $200k as an associate that you would probably make close to double that at an RVU based job. Just sayin’

Members don't see this ad :)
So you go into debt to pay doctor 1. Then doctor 2 suddenly tells you HE is retiring. Chances are the contract will dictate that you will then be responsible for buying HIS half.

So now your debt just doubled and doctor 2 is retired. Now you have to hire another doctor to fill his void. And you have to guarantee a new hire an income.

Don’t do it…….

Forget about hiring a health care attorney and accountant.

Don’t do it. You will incur the debt of doctor number 1, followed shortly by the debt to doctor 2 when he retires and you’ll have to hire and pay another doctor.

You never want to be the last man standing who is buying out two owners within a short time span.

Recipe for disaster.

Agree with @ExperiencedDPM . If a bank is going to loan you money to buy out partner #1. You might as use that money to open a practice next door and own it 100%. Start with one staff, small office and grow from there.

Think about this as a worst case scenario for a new office; you get 5 new patients a day coming in for nails/callus, at $200 per new patient, that is $1k a day minimum, 4 days a week and 16 days a month is $16,000. Your overhead a month with a small office, 1 staff, internet bill, phone bill etc can't be more than $8k a month. And this is the worst case scenario based on just diabetic nail care with no marketing.

Also easier to get credentialed at the new office since you are already on all the insurance plans in the area. Owning your business (new LLC, new tax ID, new group NPI, new business account etc) is a leap of faith and very few are bold to make such challenging decision however at the end it is very rewarding.

Agree with @ExperiencedDPM . If a bank is going to loan you money to buy out partner #1. You might as use that money to open a practice next door and own it 100%. Start with one staff, small office and grow from there.

Think about this as a worst case scenario for a new office; you get 5 new patients a day coming in for nails/callus, at $200 per new patient, that is $1k a day minimum, 4 days a week and 16 days a month is $16,000. Your overhead a month with a small office, 1 staff, internet bill, phone bill etc can't be more than $8k a month. And this is the worst case scenario based on just diabetic nail care with no marketing.

Also easier to get credentialed at the new office since you are already on all the insurance plans in the area. Owning your business (new LLC, new tax ID, new group NPI, new business account etc) is a leap of faith and very few are bold to make such challenging decision however at the end it is very rewarding.
Love everything about this!
If you can get a loan go for it and just open on your own. It really isn't as difficult as its made out to be. My wife and I moved to a growing area 17 years ago. Had the podiatry knowledge but we learned the business part little by little as we went. Went door to door introducing ourselves to other clinics, participated in health fairs and local events. Did not hire our first employee until 1.5 years into it. Word of mouth was everything.

Love everything about this!
If you can get a loan go for it and just open on your own. It really isn't as difficult as its made out to be. My wife and I moved to a growing area 17 years ago. Had the podiatry knowledge but we learned the business part little by little as we went. Went door to door introducing ourselves to other clinics, participated in health fairs and local events. Did not hire our first employee until 1.5 years into it. Word of mouth was everything.
Good answer. I would never work for a podiatrist. This is the only option if I left a hospital system/university.

While there are some red flags in this buyout situation ultimately it’s about what they want. For example … 50% for 100k is very different than 500k. Fully functional office on insurance plans and full staff and you can start earning money tomorrow? Sure 100k isn’t bad. Your better off just taking 100% and hiring the soon to retire doctor. Your on the path to full ownership, why let them control your future?

Can anyone recommend me a legit consulting company who can help fresh graduate to open the clinic ? . I'm asking for the scenario I can't find a good job with MSG or hospital job. I'm learning about private practice too but still have a lot of things if I want to open myself

When I work with my PD in his office I realize I can't scam people by selling OTC $80, seal tight $55, formula 3-4-5-6-7, whirlpool everyone, multiple and unnecessary visits.... especially treating poor people who struggle to pay copay! Very desperate career
I really appreciate your help!

First off-- I hope you have private or family wealth. You will likely not be approved for SBA loans or non-predatory bank loans with no experience. Banks don't like to take risk on people with no experience. Especially on podiatry practices, as they are typically much lower upside than ortho, dent, etc.

As far as consultants go, I briefly spoke to Cindy Pezza when I was considering the same thing. I think she has a decent reputation, but never made it deep enough into the process to get a real feel for how good she is. In the two conversations I had with her, it didn't seem like she did a whole lot more than a semi-knowledgeable soon-to-be practice owner could do on their own, but I understand some of us have zero business acumen. She seemed very Massachussetts, if that makes sense.

I realize that job prospects are depressing when you're nearing the end of residency, but you're 100% best off taking the best offer you can out of residency. I did consider opening my own spot straight out of residency and I am very glad I didn't do that. In the time I've been out, I've really realized that I would've been very clueless about the every day operations of a PP office. There is alot to it that you don't realize as a resident.

I hope you find a situation that works for you, brother (or sister).

Can anyone recommend me a legit consulting company who can help fresh graduate to open the clinic ?
I have not found any to work for ME. Most felt like they were just trying to broker any deal to get paid. I think understanding the business language of a contract is important but the only way is to watch a practice get run. Who knows at the end you may decide to open your own shop....
I'm asking for the scenario I can't find a good job with MSG or hospital job.
Most will fall into this scenario. Only so many of these jobs to go around. Hopefully your are ABFAS BQ
I'm learning about private practice too but still have a lot of things if I want to open myself
Think of it as a "residency in life"
When I work with my PD in his office I realize I can't scam people by selling OTC $80, seal tight $55, formula 3-4-5-6-7, whirlpool everyone, multiple and unnecessary visits.... especially treating poor people who struggle to pay copay! Very desperate career
I hate to say it but being a business owner is a very ruthless endeavor (managing personnel, handling finances, dealing with the public). You dont have to "scam" people, but its your job to educate and provide. Is it a scam to sell a patient toe crests, urea 40%, or salicylic acid out of your office? No one says you have to peddle some BS treatment but if you convince someone that a product is beneficial and they agree to purchase it from you, then that's their call. You will have plenty of people say 'No' and go on Amazon right in front of you. Others just want convenience. 7-11 sells soda at 3x markup yet the drinks still sell....

Reactions: 5 users
I realize that job prospects are depressing when you're nearing the end of residency, but you're 100% best off taking the best offer you can out of residency.
This is it.

You have to start somewhere and the best route is to take the best offer. You get first hand experience how PP works and you even see for yourself if you want to be a PP owner for the rest of your career. It's not for everyone that's why it's important to first work in PP for a year and 2 and then you decide whether to take the leap of faith or not. Wish you all the best sir or ma'am.

I don't understand how offering to sell a product is a scam? Patients usually ask for these things and they feel more comfortable buying shoe inserts at a foot doctors office where it is fitted properly compared to buying it from amazon. Good feet store sells inserts and shoes for over $1000. Once again, I wish you all the best sir or ma'am.

Can anyone recommend me a legit consulting company who can help fresh graduate to open the clinic ? . I'm asking for the scenario I can't find a good job with MSG or hospital job. I'm learning about private practice too but still have a lot of things if I want to open myself

Coding and compliance and lots of other things can be learned.

You must learn fast to manage staff and deal professionally and friendly with patients or will fail.

The capital required to start a business and very little income or negative income for a few months can be a real problem and is why many even after a year or two in private don’t take the risk.

You will fail if you don’t generate enough income. You need to have treatment protocols that generate enough income. Most will involve selling cash pay items and services and/or over utilizing whatever is paying well at the moment by insurance. Definitely avoid the real scammy things that will put you in PM News. Private practice is not for everyone, but well it sort of has to be for everyone because it is where most will practice in this profession wether they want to or not. You can probably skip the whirlpool, but could very easily find yourself having to be like your PD in many ways to survive and eventually thrive in private practice.

Thank you Everybody for informative advices. I really appreciate the forum and wish I had found this before I got in!
I think I misinterpreted the $80 OTC orthotic. I'm ok to sell it to people who would like to buy it but my PD asks me to sell it to every one and convince them it's the best, none of the amazon products is the good quality, I know his orthotics cost ~$20-25... It just makes me uncomfortable to sell for poor patients!
I will try my best to get ABFAS BQ before I graduate and go from there.
Thanks again and have a great day!

Thank you Everybody for informative advices. I really appreciate the forum and wish I had found this before I got in!
I think I misinterpreted the $80 OTC orthotic. I'm ok to sell it to people who would like to buy it but my PD asks me to sell it to every one and convince them it's the best, none of the amazon products is the good quality, I know his orthotics cost ~$20-25... It just makes me uncomfortable to sell for poor patients!
I will try my best to get ABFAS BQ before I graduate and go from there.
Thanks again and have a great day!
I don't think there's anything wrong with you questioning the ethics of a medical practice or how we conduct business or present ourselves to patients. There are practices where the finances of the practices are grossly elevated above the needs of the patient (for example) - practices who tell every Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis patient they need $1000 shockwave at the first visit and present zero alternative treatments other than surgery. There is often a substantial mark up on certain parts of our services and similarly an enormous mark down on other services that will break your heart once you are ultimately in practice. When I read your post this morning there was a teasing part of me that wanted to write- podiatry schools charges you $400K so you can make $100k selling orthotics for $80 that you bought for $20. I don't particularly enjoy selling things either so I'm careful how I describe and market my services. I make a tidy profit on OTC orthotic products and that's one of the parts of my practice I have very little guilt over because I carry products that can't be purchased elsewhere and my pricing is essentially identical to the shoe stores in town selling overpriced crap. I could mark it up more, but the whole point of it is to make the products accessible and to get the patients better.

The Good Feet thing is real though and its mind blowing. They are selling OTC prefabs you and I (as podiatrists) can buy affordably for routinely over $1000. Meanwhile the other day a guy came to my clinic limping and refused an x-ray that I straight told him would be $30 on his insurance.

Final thing though - if you want to see the greatest most needless and ridiculous mark-up of all time - see what hospitals charge for facility fees. I sent a patient with a progressive cellulitis to a WHC to get IV antibiotics a few weeks ago. The WHC doc's charge is $250 and the hospital facility fee is $2500. Her insurance is denying the visits claiming that because the services is at a hospital she needs a prior authorization.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you questioning the ethics of a medical practice or how we conduct business or present ourselves to patients. There are practices where the finances of the practices are grossly elevated above the needs of the patient (for example) - practices who tell every Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis patient they need $1000 shockwave at the first visit and present zero alternative treatments other than surgery. There is often a substantial mark up on certain parts of our services and similarly an enormous mark down on other services that will break your heart once you are ultimately in practice. When I read your post this morning there was a teasing part of me that wanted to write- podiatry schools charges you $400K so you can make $100k selling orthotics for $80 that you bought for $20. I don't particularly enjoy selling things either so I'm careful how I describe and market my services. I make a tidy profit on OTC orthotic products and that's one of the parts of my practice I have very little guilt over because I carry products that can't be purchased elsewhere and my pricing is essentially identical to the shoe stores in town selling overpriced crap. I could mark it up more, but the whole point of it is to make the products accessible and to get the patients better.

The Good Feet thing is real though and its mind blowing. They are selling OTC prefabs you and I (as podiatrists) can buy affordably for routinely over $1000. Meanwhile the other day a guy came to my clinic limping and refused an x-ray that I straight told him would be $30 on his insurance.

Final thing though - if you want to see the greatest most needless and ridiculous mark-up of all time - see what hospitals charge for facility fees. I sent a patient with a progressive cellulitis to a WHC to get IV antibiotics a few weeks ago. The WHC doc's charge is $250 and the hospital facility fee is $2500. Her insurance is denying the visits claiming that because the services is at a hospital she needs a prior authorization.
Yeah, mentally it's easy for us Hospital employed people to just say hey man that's not me that's the hospital I just work here...

Yeah, mentally it's easy for us Hospital employed people to just say hey man that's not me that's the hospital I just work here...
Insurance companies choose to reimburse private practice poorly and hospitals richly. Doctors vote with their feet and the cycle continues.

Hospitals do not provide inexpensive care.

Private practice can provide affordable care in theory, but office visits are not enough to make it on so many in private practice really drive up costs with out of network surgical centers, compounding meds, certain labs they get kickbacks from, lots of wound grafts etc.

In most specialties what hospitals can do most of the time in most areas is pay significantly more than one could make after overheard if they were in private practice and offer better benefits also. Certain specialties in areas with a good insurance mix can still do very well on their own....ortho groups for example.

There are just way too many podiatrists to be absorbed by organizational jobs so finding a way to make private practice work is a necessity as a profession.

I would highly recommend you learn on someone else’s dime and not yours. Your own practice may be an eventuality, but first learn what it takes to run a practice.

You’ll quickly learn what to do and not to do and take notes. Learn billing do’s and don’ts if you can determine what’s right and what’s wrong.

Just because a provider gets paid for a procedure, does not mean it was billed properly. It simply means it wasn’t reviewed by anything but a computer.

Learn what supplies are necessary and which are a waste of money. Learn what staff are crucial and which you don’t initially need.

The list goes on and on. But the bottom line is to learn via someone else’s practice while still making some money. Understand that this will likely be a temporary gig, but a stepping stone for your ultimate goal of your own practice, MSG, etc.

And don’t count on finding an advertised MSG or hospital job. You need to be proactive and tell them what you can bring to the table. Don’t go in with both guns blazing. Be humble but confident

And I am not a fan of these self proclaimed practice management gurus. They are happy to take your money for a generic blue print of how to succeed.

There are lots of free resources on the internet that are excellent. From how to choose a starting lineup ( lawyer, accountant, staff, etc) to how to choose a location, obtain funding, etc.

And unless they are truly an expert with specialized training, do NOT take billing advice from classmates, residency directors, fellowship directors, reps, coding courses taught my self proclaimed experts, etc.

If you want a good basic knowledge of coding, Michael Warshaw DPM is also a certified coder and puts out a book annually for about $100 that’s pretty good.

Utilize free resources regarding opening a new practice and inexpensive resources such as Dr. Warshaw’s coding book.

But prior to opening on your own, find a PP job and make a couple of bucks and use it as a learning experience.

And feel free to message me with any questions.

Reactions: 6 users
I would highly recommend you learn on someone else’s dime and not yours. Your own practice may be an eventuality, but first learn what it takes to run a practice.

You’ll quickly learn what to do and not to do and take notes. Learn billing do’s and don’ts if you can determine what’s right and what’s wrong.

Just because a provider gets paid for a procedure, does not mean it was billed properly. It simply means it wasn’t reviewed by anything but a computer.

Learn what supplies are necessary and which are a waste of money. Learn what staff are crucial and which you don’t initially need.

The list goes on and on. But the bottom line is to learn via someone else’s practice while still making some money. Understand that this will likely be a temporary gig, but a stepping stone for your ultimate goal of your own practice, MSG, etc.

And don’t count on finding an advertised MSG or hospital job. You need to be proactive and tell them what you can bring to the table. Don’t go in with both guns blazing. Be humble but confident

And I am not a fan of these self proclaimed practice management gurus. They are happy to take your money for a generic blue print of how to succeed.

There are lots of free resources on the internet that are excellent. From how to choose a starting lineup ( lawyer, accountant, staff, etc) to how to choose a location, obtain funding, etc.

And unless they are truly an expert with specialized training, do NOT take billing advice from classmates, residency directors, fellowship directors, reps, coding courses taught my self proclaimed experts, etc.

If you want a good basic knowledge of coding, Michael Warshaw DPM is also a certified coder and puts out a book annually for about $100 that’s pretty good.

Utilize free resources regarding opening a new practice and inexpensive resources such as Dr. Warshaw’s coding book.

But prior to opening on your own, find a PP job and make a couple of bucks and use it as a learning experience.

And feel free to message me with any questions.

Very good post. Having been in PP a couple years now I’ve learned a lot about how everything works. Residency didn’t do a single thing to prepare me for PP compared to actual experience of working it. I have no doubt I’d be dead in the water if I opened a PP right out of residency without being an associate first.

Very good post. Having been in PP a couple years now I’ve learned a lot about how everything works. Residency didn’t do a single thing to prepare me for PP compared to actual experience of working it. I have no doubt I’d be dead in the water if I opened a PP right out of residency without being an associate first.
2 years of being employed is when most seriously start thinking about going solo if partnership is not on the table, unless they are really holding out for ABFAS and an organizational job.

One good piece of advice from LCR is to get it in your contract you have access to patient charts and imaging for boards if you leave with notice or are let go.

Very good advice above by @ExperiencedDPM .

I always advise at least a year or two in private practice before starting (even if you somehow had the financing). It is good to see how an office runs, and it helps you get on the plans if you will be going solo in that same state/city; many MDs going into PP can get the loans... but they still do it that way for payers reasoning and to get some mentor/idea exp. If you don't have the $$ or credit (as 95% of DPM grads will not), you will likely need longer than that 1-2yrs as associate to save up capital anyways. That was my situation, and I learned at least a few things at the 4 different PPs/MSGs that I worked for before starting my own office.

Conversely, I learned almost zero applicable info with the IHS hospital job (the billers and clipboard nurses chasing you down with consent forms and op report codes almost make you dumber at coding). The countless pep rally meetings and COVID policy tests and cybersecurity modules are also of no application in PP. Hospitals are problematic (for starting PP) in that they're generally inefficient and have little reason to do well with customer service, good scheduling, efficient hiring, etc... things that are all essential for PP office success. The hospital jobs can be ok to earn more and save to open PP, but in terms of learning value, nobody runs a podiatry PP as well as podiatrists.

Without a model to learn from, though, the billing and running an office is fairly overwhelming. It is also a massive undertaking in conjunction with trying to develop your doc-patient style fresh out of residency. It is hard to know what to look for in terms of staff, supplies, licensing, office flow, scheduling, etc until you have been in that environment as an associate. A disorganized solo office hemorrhages money and will turn over staff. Those are things you can learn in a year or two of working with a well-run PP. This is also why VA jobs and many org RVU jobs are ok for building capital for starting a PP, but they are not very good for learning billing/coding early in one's career (unless you plan to stay in those type of jobs until retirement).

I have gotten many PMs over the years asking for podiatry supply lists, budgets, whatever. Sadly, almost none of these are to start a PP... they're to start a pod clinic for a hospital or MSG, where the DPM asking won't ever own anything. Most entrepreneur types are smart enough to make those things on their own - and learn by doing them. Either way, the best way to do that stuff is to work in pod office and learn what you like and use. Everyone has nuances with instruments, style, prefs, etc. Staffing and scheduling are the same: different prefs for different DPMs.

Basically, even if your residency was ok in terms of prac mgmt exp and/or you have the $ for startup, you are likely not ready. The old business adage holds true "there are two ways to learn: your mistakes or someone else's. One is cheaper, and one is faster... and they're the same one."

My response to this question is basically same as here...

Last edited:
2 years of being employed is when most seriously start thinking about going solo if partnership is not on the table, unless they are really holding out for ABFAS and an organizational job.

One good piece of advice from LCR is to get it in your contract you have access to patient charts and imaging for boards if you leave with notice or are let go.

I like where I’m at. And thankfully my contract had that in it originally. I don’t feel the need to veer off and leave but 2 years in it’s nice to have the feeling that I’d be ok if I did and that’s where it helps to get a couple years under your belt before opening an office.

I like where I’m at. And thankfully my contract had that in it originally. I don’t feel the need to veer off and leave but 2 years in it’s nice to have the feeling that I’d be ok if I did and that’s where it helps to get a couple years under your belt before opening an office.
Glad you are happy. Opening a solo office is a risk, probably a greater risk than is presented on here actually even with experience. Trust me I am not twisting your arm to do that. The reality is I have seen very, very few associates work out longterm (unless they become a partner)……like less than 5 percent. Probably half of those 5 percent were either not the primary income earner in the family or their spouse made a similar income and they were in an office/elective surgery only practice situation with few weekend or after hour responsibilities and had no desire to make more money if it might mean more hours at work and time away from the family.

Last edited:
Hello all, just wanted to give an update:

I bought out the retired partner, consulted with a great lawyer. The retired partner had a professional practice valuation done in 2021, which is what I negotiated based off of. Since he is retired there isn't much "goodwill" that he can leverage. Ended up being just below 100k buy in. I offered a down payment and he was able to do a personal loan paid in 6 months at 1.5% interest for the rest of it.

That was the easy part, the harder part is formulating the partnership agreement with the existing doc, and negotiating his buyout when he plans to retire.

Now that the dust has settled, the biggest thing now is modernizing the practice..still stuck in its dinosaur ways for some things. Found some ways to significantly cut overhead. The biggest thing is insurance reimbursements, turns out they haven't been negotiating at all with them, and so we are starting negotiating talks with commercial insurances...some of them are paying significantly less than Medicare and getting away with it.

I know people were advising against this, but overall I'm happy and very lucky with the situation. Buying into an established practice without needing to do any advertising whatsoever to attract new patients is great.
Just an uphill battle to transform the practice stuck in its old ways

Hello all, just wanted to give an update:

I bought out the retired partner, consulted with a great lawyer. The retired partner had a professional practice valuation done in 2021, which is what I negotiated based off of. Since he is retired there isn't much "goodwill" that he can leverage. Ended up being just below 100k buy in. I offered a down payment and he was able to do a personal loan paid in 6 months at 1.5% interest for the rest of it.

That was the easy part, the harder part is formulating the partnership agreement with the existing doc, and negotiating his buyout when he plans to retire.

Now that the dust has settled, the biggest thing now is modernizing the practice..still stuck in its dinosaur ways for some things. Found some ways to significantly cut overhead. The biggest thing is insurance reimbursements, turns out they haven't been negotiating at all with them, and so we are starting negotiating talks with commercial insurances...some of them are paying significantly less than Medicare and getting away with it.

I know people were advising against this, but overall I'm happy and very lucky with the situation. Buying into an established practice without needing to do any advertising whatsoever to attract new patients is great.
I am interested to hear some of the ways you were able to cut overhead

Now that the dust has settled
Lol, Pronation would make a joke here. RIP
Congratulations, you'll find that the business challenges of modernizing and customizing the practice to fit your style are more interesting than actual podiatry

negotiating talks with commercial insurances...some of them are paying significantly less than Medicare and getting away with it.
This is the norm. Dont expect anything good in saturated markets...

Having tried to negotiate - IPA all day long.

Nothing else works.

-IPAs cost different amounts. They have different contracts and rates. Ask for rates. Set reasonable expectations. Someone else on here - Feli I think - said your goal with an IPA is to improvement 2 plans. My IPA resolved 1 major payor and all of my in town payors. I've actually spoken to people on here who would have derived even more benefit from my contracts. 10 years ago my IPA would have fixed 2 other payors, but sadly the ship sailed.
-IPAs who are being coy will tell you the purpose of an IPA is to make credentialing easier. That wasn't on my mind when I did it.
-Its often hard to get to speak to an insurance company and there are so many of them.
-Many are cut throat. United didn't become a punchline by negotiating and being reasonable. If your rates are bad enough the problem is you are negotiating from a poor position. In business school this is called "anchoring".
-Companies that negotiate might toss you 10% ie. 85% of Medicare to 95% of Medicare.
-What you need though most of the time is big jumps. To hit $1000-1500 on a lot of forefoot procedures ie. fusions you need rates over 200% of Medicare.
-My limited experience is that if your practice is busy and stable and you are getting punched in the face by Medicare Advantage plans - consider going out of network. Our OON claims are getting paid at Medicare rates but the patient's are paying slightly higher copays.
-Interestingly APMA has files on insurance reimbursement rules and what not and they provide more details on how MA plans work.
-Your only real leverage is to leave. That said - if you are out of network with an insurance and you are in an area that isn't saturated - there are people who will just pay full price. Be realistic about what can be tolerated in your area and have a plan for explaining that no - we aren't in network, but yes, we will see you and we'll be transparent about pricing.
-People who give advice online about how to negotiate recommend going through your insurance plans, finding the worst plans, finding the worst codes etc and trying to negotiate perhaps specific common codes. While some of my insurance contracts do have variability in codes, in general my experience is that insurance companies want to negotiate / discuss / describe based on percentages of Medicare. They don't want to fiddle with just 99213.
-It is technically possible for doctor's to be grandfathered ie. a large insurance company was changing my rates without changing my partner's rates.
-If you have a relationship that is mostly good - consider whether its worth saying something. I tried to negotiate with an insurance company and they offered me a new contract. I declined. They then popped it in and started paying me at the rates without my signature. It increased my E&M codes and a few other things that were bizarrely low but destroyed my surgical reimbursement. I'm quite confident they did it because the insurance company went from being a real commercial plan to mostly just an Obamacare plan and they wanted to drive rates down.

Surgery really is the biggest damn nightmare for us reimbursement wise. If you can get the 2021 Medicare values for E&M and anything positive over Medicare for in office CPT/imagery ie. 135-150% - you will do very well. The damn surgery codes are now so low in value that a 28740 has to be multiplied by 165% to hit $1000. If you are starting at sub-Medicare that is going to be hard to hit.