"Buy out" from a staffing firm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're working locums and a group is interested in you to the point that they mention "buying" you out from the staffing firm to work part time for them with potential future perm employment. What does that entail exactly? What kind of money transacts between a democratic group and a staffing firm to get to that arrangement?

I haven't the slightest clue and have never been in that situation. Obviously, the staffing firm is paying me less than they would be paying me, but how do you take the staffing firm out of the picture in a situation like that and deal directly with a group? I was just curious as to what kind of money or agreement that would entail. Any insight for people who have been in or heard of similar situations?

From their point of view, if they have a candidate who can work locums for them for another 1.5 years of residency that they are very interested in, would they make more money in a situation like that or would this most likely turn into me having to decide whether to sign a contract this far out from ending residency to arrive at that arrangement?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked many contract positions in another industry.
If you were working through a staffing firm, the place you were working couldn't just hire you on directly. There were terms in the contract betweeen the staffing company and the "employer". They had to pay a finder's fee that was similar to what would be paid to a headhunter. This was somewhere on the order of 30% of the first years salary.

The companies I worked for also do physician contracts.
My guess is that it works pretty much the same.

Thanks, so they would essentially be paying a big fee to be able to hire me in that way due to their interest in a permanent position, so more than likely entailing an early sign on contract. My dilemma is that I have a great first impression of the group and hospital system with lots of advantages and pros, but it would probably take me awhile to see all the hospitals, get a better feel for the system, see the books, etc.. and make a commitment.

Part of me wonders if I've just lucked upon a great situation while moonlighting, or if I'm being naive in not seeing what else is all out there. Then again, it's not like you have a tremendous amount of time during residency to interview and visit 15 different regions/groups, ya know?

You probably never know what you're in for until you start working at a place.
That was my experience in my former career.
Just try to talk to as many employees as you can.
At least one will probably be a straight shooter and let you know what sucks about the place.

Does anyone at your residency have experience at that site?

Hopefully you really did just luck out into a great place.
:luck: