"Business Psychology"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psy.d. 2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine who is looking into applying for doctoral programs asked me about business psychology. To be honest I had never heard of it. I assumed he had meant IO but he had read there was a difference between the two. All I could find was a degree program via the Chicago School which discusses the differences, but this seemed like marketing rather than actually delineating a distinct field. I could be wrong but I am thinking "business psychology" is not a separate field of psychology but am looking to see if I'm correct in this assumption.

Members don't see this ad.

It's just the Chicago school trying to sell another scam. The UK uses business psych to essentially describe their I/O programs. My program had an I/O dept attached. Many of them were recruited to teach in business schools, or work in large business settings. Tell your friend to stick to reputable I/O programs when doing his research.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's just the Chicago school trying to sell another scam. The UK uses business psych to essentially describe their I/O programs. My program had an I/O dept attached. Many of them were recruited to teach in business schools, or work in large business settings. Tell your friend to stick to reputable I/O programs when doing his research.
I referred him to review programs via Division 14 and told him TCS is not a good option. Thank you for this info.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve noticed all sorts of wildly useless degrees at for-profity schools. My personal favorite is “transpersonal psychology.”

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve noticed all sorts of wildly useless degrees at for-profity schools. My personal favorite is “transpersonal psychology.”

Oh, this one has been around for some time, at least since the 70's. Started out as more hippy-dippy BS, then the diploma mills probably figured they could make some good cash out of it.