Burnout vs. Job satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrQuinn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a 3rd year student going through some deep introspection right now trying to find myself a specialty. Nearly two thirds of my life I have wanted to be an emergency physician, and my clinical experiences in the ED have only strengthened that, however I am deeply, deeply concerned with the nearly 2/3 of EPs who say they are burned out. The article posted on the front page only does more to aggravate that hesitation of mine.

My question, however, is that at the same time I also see that emergency physicians consistently rank near the top in terms of job satisfaction (4th or 5th in most surveys I've read), and I'm wondering if anyone has any theories or reasons as to why that is? EPs are the most burned out, but the most satisfied? I'm not sure I understand what the dynamic is here.

Not looking for any concrete answers, I'd just like to get some of your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think EM docs tend to be very cognizant, vocal, realistic about the problems facing EM and the relentless barrage of government regulations, consumer minded health care, drug seekers, social issues, malpractice is exhausting - though I definitely do not think that these are problems solely related to EM. Despite all of this, I work like 3, maybe 4 shifts a week, I come home and don't have to worry about being on call, I make plenty of money to support my family, there are many shifts that are entirely unremarkable, but there are many that excite me and remind me why I chose this specialty in this first place. There is a fair amount of research on EM burnout as well, being more involved in admin or EM policy making, local ACEP all increase job satisfaction. I would not let "burnout" scare you away.

Physicians have a higher burnout rate than other 'professions'. Your local carpenter, realtor, or nurse thinks that ludicrous with the money we make...and yet we make good money for what we do, but their burnout rates are likely much lower.

I think burnout as a Physician is mostly tied to the amount you work. In Emergency Medicine, to outsiders, there is a perception that "HEY, he only works 12 days a month"...I can work more and make more money.. And people do/try that.. and they get burned out working 22 shifts a month. Even worse is when you get so financially strapped to your job that you HAVE to work so many shifts. The key is to never get to that position. I can work 2 shifts a month and pay my 'bills' which includes my house payment, electric, gas, insurances. I could push that to 3 shifts and probably eat out once a week, push it to 4 and I could save a little extra each month. I could not work for the next several years and still pay all my bills. Financial freedom is huge towards 'burnout'. I think Job Satisfaction is a different thing entirely. I feel far from burned out, but occasionally have issues with job satisfaction, and have changed some things up mildly in my life to help with that. EMS medical direction, more involved with organized medicine, etc. Depending on your personality, 100% clinical medicine may leave some to be desired. I love taking care of a patient and impacting their care, but its been so grand for me to director EMS care in my city or to lobby for issues at my state capitol and DC. The latter would be an issue regardless of what type 'physician' you are..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what burnout even means.
Would many EPs rather be not working? I'm sure.
Are they quitting the field in vast numbers? No.

As many get older and have families, they would probably rather be home on nights and weekends.
Nearly impossible in this field.
If that is what you want, I would look elsewhere.

If you want to take care of sick patients and be good at providing acute care, no better place to be.

Not looking for any concrete answers, I'd just like to get some of your thoughts. Thanks.

The basic cause of burnout - across all fields of medicine - is a system that has evolved to place all responsibility on the shoulders of physicians, while taking away all authority from them. Case in point: when I did my family medicine rotation in medical school, the FPs in the clinic were employees of a major health system. They had no say over how long a patient visit was. The clinic rules were that a new patient establishing care was scheduled for a 30 minute visit while a repeat visit was 15 minutes. Management (an RN running the clinic) empowered schedulers (high school grads for the most part) to set visit lengths to default at 15 minutes. A physician could "request" a 30 minute visit for a patient but in most cases was overruled. Meanwhile all responsibility for accurate diagnosis, customer satisfaction, and liability was placed on the shoulders of a physician who had graduated from college, medical school, and residency...and management was talking about moving to a 12 minute appointment schedule. It was this experience - along with the loathesome OB requirements - that made me cross family medicine off the list.

ER comes with some benefits. If we want to spend 30 minutes taking care of a stroke patient nobody is looking over our shoulders. If we want to get a head CT on an altered mental status patient we aren't calling anyone for pre authorization. We never have to schedule a follow up visit for a needy whiny patient (but will probably end up seeing them again in the future for their non emergent medical condition anyway). The flip side of this is that we deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis, can never fire a drug seeker from our practice and are permanently married to CMS, in hospital practice and government health insurance. In a post Obamacare world, this is a particularly signficant thing to consider: your career alternatives are basically limited to ER work, urgent care work, and administration. It's also more difficult to practice overseas as an ER grad as our residencies are 3 years and most British-system residencies are longer. Given the way the system has gone, I might have gone FM as it's fairly easy for a clinic to offload malpractice liability in a rationing world by sending a patient to the ED and you can exclude medicaid patients from your practice entirely.

In chosing a specialty, ask yourself what you like about medicine and what you hate about medicine thus far. For me, it was an easy: I hated OB, surgery, and anatomy. I liked pharm and phys. I like kids and old people. EM and FM were what were left. A friend of mine in medical school decided early that although he liked the science, direct patient care sucked and is now a pathologist. Rather than asking yourself "should I do EM" cross off the stuff you find intolerable and then chose from the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that says EM isn't high in burnout is either blowing smoke up yours for recruiting purposes or kidding themselves. The unrelenting pace, heaped onto the acuity of the sick and dying, heaped onto circadian-crushing shift changes, heaped onto administrators that apply pressure over a door-to-doctor time that jumped 2 minutes in one month after you walked out of a room notifying an unsuspecting mom and dad their 4-year-old angel choked to death on a grape while with the baby sitter and there was a damn thing you do due to change it, takes it's toll. There's very little else like it.

Furthermore, the "lifestyle" isn't a lifestyle choice. The oft-coveted "limited-shift schedule" med students talk about, is absolutely not a cushy choice, is a survival adaptation that evolved to make the torturous circadian rhythm disruptions tolerable. To work any more is intolerable.

You'll get spit on and have your life threatens by people you're trying to help, a lot more than a radiologist. You'll have people laugh in your face about having no inention of paying your bill, a lot more than a pathologist. Constantly being the safety net for every doctors office, closed methadone clinic, after hours std clinic and psych ward, and failing healthcare system can take its toll. Every other specialty has a pressure release valve when the insanity boils over, the insane patient gets too violent, or the walk-ins over flow.

It's you. The ER.

Many surgeons find it tolerable to work 60 hr per week. Lots of family practice docs find it tolerable to work 50 hr per week. I don't know any EP that worked that pace for very long that didn't end up in the nuthouse, cath lab or rehab. ER docs don't put in "normal doctor hours" because...

You just can't. Sure, "Just work 10 days a month," everyone will say. But in today's customer-serviced obsessed environment combined with ER doc shortage during the crumbling of a healthcare system there will be increasing pressure to work more than you want at most locations. The emergencies are often seen as an annoying distraction from the primary duty of cranking as many healthy-sick "customers" through the checkout lines to meet someone else's monetary goals.

EM is a great, terrible, crazy, exciting, boring, bloody, smelly, rewarding, draining, euphoric, soul-crushing rolled up ball of every specialty that's nothing like any other specialty. If you can't make peace with the insanity of it, the insanity will make pieces of you.

You may love it, you may hate it. You may love it and simultaneously hate it. You may love it then learn to hate it. But it'll never be banking, accounting, librarian work, microdermabrasion or a desk job that consists of nothing but a series of meetings. Normal jobs are a whole different animal. There's no comparison. They're not even in the same building as EM. Read the stickies and the "EM burnout," "12 reasons no to go into EM," and "Medicine sucks" threads. Take note that the 9-5er "no call" specialties have no such threads. EM may be great for you. And the things that are great about it also are the exact things that make it the most likely to burn out.

Why don't people leave EM? The same reason soldiers don't walk off the battle field when the bullets start flying by, because:

They can't.

In the military, you can't opt out of the bullets when the bombs start to blow. In EM, you can't opt out of the pace, the nights, the holidays or the senseless tragedies. Why will EM always be the most burn out prone AND deadly popular? The same reason the military still manages to get people to sign up to get shot at, and the circus always fills its seats:

1-The hero factor.

2-Adrenaline rushes are intoxicating.

3- Crazy-weird-bizzare stuff can be wildly entertaining...if you've never seen it before.

Why so negative, Birdtrike? Why don't you talk about the upside, the pros? Why focus on the negative?

Well, because the OP asked. EM has its advantages, the selling points and an upside to offer balance. Everyone knows the Hollywood swashbuckling pirate-hero version of EM, and the daily sales pitch from the residency recruiters. On the other hand, the ashes of burnout are in the back room under the rug, to be dealt with later, to be ignored, suppressed, to be owned by the weak, the wimps and those that "can't stand the fire." You're not supposed to believe they're real. Once you commit to a specialty, especially EM, the cost of changing in time, inconvenience, life upheaval not to mention cost is big. Know what you are getting into, and know how you are going to deal with it.

EM is great for certain people. It may be perfect for some people for a certain period of time, but not necessarily for an entire career. But burnout is the norm. It may come and go, just for a few minutes due to exhaustion at 4am on a long stretch of nights, or after the third death notification of a shift, only to disappear for a while after a few days away from the job. It may only rear its head when a person is in a group they don't like or working more hours than they want. Or it may be pervasive, heavy and difficult to shake permeating someone's whole life.

There's great things about EM. It's a profoundly honorable career choice.

But it sure as hell ain't easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone that says EM isn't high in burnout is either blowing smoke up yours for recruiting purposes or kidding themselves. The unrelenting pace, heaped onto the acuity of the sick and dying, heaped onto circadian-crushing shift changes, heaped onto administrators that apply pressure over a door-to-doctor time that jumped 2 minutes in one month after you walked out of a room notifying an unsuspecting mom and dad their 4-year-old angel choked to death on a grape while with the baby sitter and there was a damn thing you do due to change it, takes it's toll. There's very little else like it.

Furthermore, the "lifestyle" isn't a lifestyle choice. The oft-coveted "limited-shift schedule" med students talk about, is absolutely not a cushy choice, is a survival adaptation that evolved to make the torturous circadian rhythm disruptions tolerable. To work any more is intolerable.

You'll get spit on and have your life threatens by people you're trying to help, a lot more than a radiologist. You'll have people laugh in your face about having no inention of paying your bill, a lot more than a pathologist. Constantly being the safety net for every doctors office, closed methadone clinic, after hours std clinic and psych ward, and failing healthcare system can take its toll. Every other specialty has a pressure release valve when the insanity boils over, the insane patient gets too violent, or the walk-ins over flow.

It's you. The ER.

Many surgeons find it tolerable to work 60 hr per week. Lots of family practice docs find it tolerable to work 50 hr per week. I don't know any EP that worked that pace for very long that didn't end up in the nuthouse, cath lab or rehab. ER docs don't put in "normal doctor hours" because...

You just can't. Sure, "Just work 10 days a month," everyone will say. But in today's customer-serviced obsessed environment combined with ER doc shortage during the crumbling of a healthcare system there will be increasing pressure to work more than you want at most locations. The emergencies are often seen as an annoying distraction from the primary duty of cranking as many healthy-sick "customers" through the checkout lines to meet someone else's monetary goals.

EM is a great, terrible, crazy, exciting, boring, bloody, smelly, rewarding, draining, euphoric, soul-crushing rolled up ball of every specialty that's nothing like any other specialty. If you can't make peace with the insanity of it, the insanity will make pieces of you.

You may love it, you may hate it. You may love it and simultaneously hate it. You may love it then learn to hate it. But it'll never be banking, accounting, librarian work, microdermabrasion or a desk job that consists of nothing but a series of meetings. Normal jobs are a whole different animal. There's no comparison. They're not even in the same building as EM. Read the stickies and the "EM burnout," "12 reasons no to go into EM," and "Medicine sucks" threads. Take note that the 9-5er "no call" specialties have no such threads.EM may be great for you. And the things that are great about it also are the exact things that make it the most likely to burn out.
Why don't people leave EM? The same reason soldiers don't walk off the battle field when the bullets start flying by.

They can't.

In the military, you can't opt out of the bullets when the bombs start to blow. In EM, you can't opt out of the pace, the nights, the holidays or the senseless tragedies.

Why will EM always be the most burn out prone AND deadly popular? The same reason the military still manages to get people to sign up to get shot at, and the circus always fills its seats:

1-The hero factor.

3- Crazy-weird-bizzare stuff can be wildly entertaining...if you've never seen it before.

Why is EM Why so negative, Birdtrike? Why don't you talk about the upside, the pros? Why focus on the negative?

Because you asked. And you're well versed in the Hollywood version of EM, the residency recruiters and sales pitch you'll get daily. There are pro's; there is an upside, and it's on the front page of the recruiting pamphlet. The ashes of burnout are in the back room under the rug, to be dealt with later. Once you commit to a specialty, especially EM, the cost of changing in time, inconvenience, life upheaval not to mention cost is big.

EM absolutely is the most burnout probe specialty, and it always will be.

It may be perfect for certain people. It may be perfect for some people for a certain period of time. But burnout is the norm. It may come and go, just for a few minutes due to exhaustion at 4am on a long stretch of nights, or after the third death notification of a shift, only to disappear for a while after a few days away from the job. Or it may be pervasive, heavy and difficult to shake permeating someone's whole life.

Bravo_Bravo.gif

It's you. The ER.

You may love it, you may hate it. You may love it and simultaneously hate it. You may love it then learn to hate it. But it'll never be banking, accounting, librarian work, microdermabrasion or a desk job that consists of nothing but a series of meetings. Normal jobs are a whole different animal. There's no comparison. They're not even in the same building as EM. Read the stickies and the "EM burnout," "12 reasons no to go into EM," and "Medicine sucks" threads. Take note that the 9-5er "no call" specialties have no such threads. EM may be great for you. And the things that are great about it also are the exact things that make it the most likely to burn out.

Why don't people leave EM? The same reason soldiers don't walk off the battle field when the bullets start flying by, because:

They can't.

In the military, you can't opt out of the bullets when the bombs start to blow. In EM, you can't opt out of the pace, the nights, the holidays or the senseless tragedies. Why will EM always be the most burn out prone AND deadly popular? The same reason the military still manages to get people to sign up to get shot at, and the circus always fills its seats:

1-The hero factor.

Why so negative, Birdtrike? Why don't you talk about the upside, the pros? Why focus on the negative?

Well, because the OP asked. EM has its advantages, the selling points and an upside to offer balance. Everyone knows the Hollywood swashbuckling pirate-hero version of EM, and the daily sales pitch from the residency recruiters. On the other hand, the ashes of burnout are in the back room under the rug, to be dealt with later, to be ignored, suppressed, to be owned by the weak, the wimps and those that "can't stand the fire." You're not supposed to believe they're real. Once you commit to a specialty, especially EM, the cost of changing in time, inconvenience, life upheaval not to mention cost is big. Know what you are getting into, and know how you are going to deal with it.

EM is great for certain people. It may be perfect for some people for a certain period of time, but not necessarily for an entire career. But burnout is the norm. It may come and go, just for a few minutes due to exhaustion at 4am on a long stretch of nights, or after the third death notification of a shift, only to disappear for a while after a few days away from the job. It may only rear its head when a person is in a group they don't like or working more hours than they want. Or it may be pervasive, heavy and difficult to shake permeating someone's whole life.

I agree.

Birdstrike, I feel that your post should be given to every student who rotates through an ED.

Birdstrike, I feel that your post should be given to every student who rotates through an ED.

That's not likely to ever happen, unless it's viral underground. My posts aren't politically correct enough for mass consumption. But feel free to cut, paste, and print. Be quick. My posts have a habit mysteriously vaporizing and being replaced with "."

Last edited:

It's you. The ER.

They can't.

1-The hero factor.

Saved for posterity.

I agree with alot of what Birdstrike says. I, however, believe that the OP should still go for EM. Some people in your position will eventually burn out of EM but more of the people that I see burning out of EM would burn out of any other medical speciality as well. EM isn't a good "fall-back" speciality if you don't get into that dermatology or opthalmology residency you have been gunning for all medical school career. If you are going into EM with eyes wide open and understand that it isn't all rainbows and fairy tales then you will be ahead of the burn out curve.

Burnout is definitely real. I say that as a second year resident in the dark months of the year, when the enthusiasm of intern year has worn off but I'm still working 18-20 shifts a month. There are shifts where I'm arguing with a random patient over why I won't admit her for pain control for her UTI or telling someone that their "sleeping" relative is actually comatose and probably won't ever wake up that I hate my job. But there are more shifts where I get to actually make someone's life a little better, if it's just zofran for a vomiting pregnant woman or reassuring first time parents that their child will be fine even if their fever is 103 that I like my job. There are good parts and bad parts to this job, and as the poster above said if you go into it with your eyes wide open I think it can work out well.

It's you. The ER.

They can't.

1-The hero factor.

Epic post!