Burnout among therapists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching "burnout" in the PT profession. What contributes to burnout among PTs? Compensation? Not challenging enough? The patients being impatient/ rude / or unappreciative? Too much of a routine? Physically exhausting? Mentally exhausting? Dealing with Doctors? Prestige issues? Insurance issues? etc... Just wondering what your thoughts were. Stories of PTs that were in a position of burnout are appreciated with why they "burnt out" of the profession. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the reason why you want to research this? Are you in PT school now? I too am wanting to know.

Everyday that I am waiting for an acceptance letter is making me think twice, even though I have professed my love for the field. The waiting is exhaustive:(.

With 10 years in, working next to PT's... I think you will find the patients always interesing and it should be the reason why you got into thie profession.

Dealing w/ management may be more of a problem.
i.e.
In peds...The teacher that doesn't want you to pull the kid out of class, doesn't know what you do and doesn't care.

In Geriatrics...The nurse promoted to manager but still doesnt know what rehab does.
The director that wonders why you are doing work that cannot be billed for (like answering a patient's question or making a wheelchair safe, or reviewing a chart for valuable information that could save a life.)

How about wondering if you should report a violation that will be ultimately argued away to a he-said, she-said argument, like meds left on a table that should have been ingested under the supervision of the nurse, or maybe nursing assistants stealing food off grandmas table and into a water cup to bring home?

in schools... Kids denied services... until the nurse's kid is up for review... oh... he can stay on for another year.. hmmm... great.

If you can keep perspective and know when to fight city hall... you will do good. But it's a business, never forget.
If you don't see team work evident, or shady stuff going on.. move on... there's always another job somewhere in PT and OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the reason why you want to research this? Are you in PT school now? I too am wanting to know.

Everyday that I am waiting for an acceptance letter is making me think twice, even though I have professed my love for the field. The waiting is exhaustive:(.

Just trying to get more info regarding the field. Trying to get a perspective so I can put myself in the position and get a better idea how I'd react. Looking at the longevity of the career.

As most PTs will tell you, it's a very rewarding field and has a very high job satisfaction rate. Thus, most don't burn out as there is so much to learn as the field continues to evolve.

I would guess that those who do manage to burn out either have become stagnant and don't want to evolve with the field or are stuck in a location without much diversity in patient population (not enough stimulation for the amount of work put in). I bet some even burn out by working extra hours to pay off loans in which they don't see enough return (eg. have little time to enjoy life outside of work). Some parts of the field can be very mentally draining, especially in long term care facilities where patients can pass away at any second. Oh, and finally, I'm sure that many have unrealistic demands from bosses, companies, or even from themselves and just can't seem to meet expectations (patients per day quotas, etc). That said, I believe these could be reasons for anyone to burn out in any career.

As most PTs will tell you, it's a very rewarding field and has a very high job satisfaction rate. Thus, most don't burn out as there is so much to learn as the field continues to evolve.

I would guess that those who do manage to burn out either have become stagnant and don't want to evolve with the field or are stuck in a location without much diversity in patient population (not enough stimulation for the amount of work put in). I bet some even burn out by working extra hours to pay off loans in which they don't see enough return (eg. have little time to enjoy life outside of work). Some parts of the field can be very mentally draining, especially in long term care facilities where patients can pass away at any second. Oh, and finally, I'm sure that many have unrealistic demands from bosses, companies, or even from themselves and just can't seem to meet expectations (patients per day quotas, etc). That said, I believe these could be reasons for anyone to burn out in any career.

Thank you for the detailed post. I can see me upon graduation taking on some type of extra per diem work on the weekends, at least for a short while to help with the loan payments. Working 50+ hours (weekdays + weekends) consistently spells burnout for me. So I'd be looking to lower my standards of living which I'm use to anyway.;)