Burned out from research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendOfCacti

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit ok sorry everyone I was just being neurotic this morning!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm leaning derm so mostly speaking about derm here! Most of the matched applicants I know (maybe sample bias) have gotten a first author or two in JAAD or JAMA Derm. Idk maybe I've focused too much on the top applicants from past years that I've researched but I tend to be hypercritical of my own work, maybe it's not as necessary as I've built it up to be in my head... but still, with how competitive the specialty is, as a research-heavy applicant I feel like it would look bad for me to have a ton of papers but none in either of these journals where med students getting papers in is relatively common.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaning derm so mostly speaking about derm here! Most of the matched applicants I know (maybe sample bias) have gotten a first author or two in JAAD or JAMA Derm. Idk maybe I've focused too much on the top applicants from past years that I've researched but I tend to be hypercritical of my own work, maybe it's not as necessary as I've built it up to be in my head... but still, with how competitive the specialty is, as a research-heavy applicant I feel like it would look bad for me to have a ton of papers but none in either of these journals where med students getting papers in is relatively common.
I think you have enough research and from what I saw, I think you are already competitive for derm

But going to tag @asmallchild for additional input.

You're probably ok with that many, especially if they are derm related, and especially if they are research oriented and not just case reports or case series.

A first author paper in a high impact journal just as JAAD can push you over the top though. However, you're probably ok where you are now if you have 20 or so pubs.

I interview for our derm residency program. I am very impressed if someone has first author, especially in a high impact journal. However, I am also very impressed if someone is on several papers actually reporting research. I'm less impressed if someone shows me 8 case reports.

To me, first author of a research project even in a low impact journal is more impressive than someone who has 5 case reports listed. Once someone knows how to do a case report, they can pump them out. It just shows me they put in the work. Publishing actual research projects shows a person likely actually went through all the things from hypothesis to final publication. Much more impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Now i’m really curious what speciality demands first author papers in high impact journals

Derm does not demand 1st author papers in high impact journals. Studies have shown, on average, matched applicants will have under 4 peer reviewed publication of varying quality with varying authorship positions.

At twenty pubs, you’re essentially set for applying at the end of first year from a research perspective. The absolute most I’ve ever seen from a resident was about 35 pubs and they ended up at Penn.

Also, based on your the way you write, I find your attitude a little off putting. You seem pretty obsessed with commanding the respect of your peers, for what reason? I don’t think your neuroticism is warranted for your situation. If you want to work more closely with one mentor, then focus on that. If you can’t commit to “6-7 other projects”, there are ways of saying no. If you can publish 20 items within your first year, I’m sure you can figure out how to focus your goals.

If you find that your anxiety is spiraling out of control, then seek professional help.

Derm does not demand 1st author papers in high impact journals. Studies have shown, on average, matched applicants will have under 4 peer reviewed publication of varying quality with varying authorship positions.

At twenty pubs, you’re essentially set for applying at the end of first year from a research perspective. The absolute most I’ve ever seen from a resident was about 35 pubs and they ended up at Penn.

Also, based on your the way you write, I find your attitude a little off putting. You seem pretty obsessed with commanding the respect of your peers, for what reason? I don’t think your neuroticism is warranted for your situation. If you want to work more closely with one mentor, then focus on that. If you can’t commit to “6-7 other projects”, there are ways of saying no. If you can publish 20 items within your first year, I’m sure you can figure out how to focus your goals.

If you find that your anxiety is spiraling out of control, then seek professional help.
hey thanks this is a fair criticism! I’m probably being a little more candid/venting since this is anonymous, and I definitely agree I’m neurotic. I just see students in my program with similar or fewer number of publications frequently asked to present about their experiences at monthly research meetings, or they tell me about all the new M1s flocking to them for research help etc, but I think I’m just a little more under the radar. Maybe part of this is the feeling that if I got a big first author pub more people would notice. I don’t think I‘m above anyone at all (every single person who knows me in real life says I need to have more self confidence) but I think I’m more just venting about the fact that I don’t know how to promote myself and thus feel a bit underacknowledged in my home program, and some younger students are actively disrespectful/gunnerish regardless of my past research experience.

Last edited:
Honestly, it just seems like you need someone to tell you you're doing a good job. And you are.

Try to stop worrying.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I think you have enough research and from what I saw, I think you are already competitive for derm

But going to tag @asmallchild for additional input.
I came into med school super excited about getting published after having none before M1 year, and fortunately got into a really productive publishing group right away. I blasted through a bunch of projects during some of my easier M1 blocks and M1 summer and managed to recently break 20 papers (mix of first/second/third author). However, I am so incredibly burned out from research now. It feels like I’ve been spinning my wheels for awhile and I‘m just not sure if I’m in a good enough position to take a break right now or if I should keep grinding.

I'm torn because, despite my number of pubs, I am definitely lacking first author papers in high impact journals (most of my current first authors are in journals around IF 3-5, but the top journals in my intended specialty are the gold standard for successful med students and I haven't managed to get any of my first author work in there). I want to just start dedicating time to high impact projects and start working at a slower pace, but I have 6-7 old projects that are low yield and not aligned with my goals that just keep pestering me, and I feel like I can't move onto better things until I reach some resolution with those. I'm also nervous because now that I am holding up a few projects, I think I am creating negative impressions from a few attendings (not in my specialty so I don't care that much) and some residents (some of whom are in my specialty), but I really want to dedicate my effort to projects with my main PI who I think currently has a generally positive impression of me and I really hope to get a letter from when I apply to ERAS.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should go from here or words of motivation? I know if I completely quit all of my research tomorrow I'd still be ok in terms of numbers, but my specialty of interest is uber competitive and I feel like it would look bad to significantly scale back, but I just don't think I can keep up this current approach. I've also received such conflicting advice on doing fewer, high impact projects with a single PI who can write a strong letter compared to doing multiple smaller projects with PIs at different institutions in order to try to network. I just feel I'm like being pulled in every direction and I'm so exhausted 😭

(edited a few sentences down that I fear I worded poorly and weren't really relevant to my main point)

I would agree with everyone else, I think in terms of research volume, you are in good shape.

A couple of random thoughts:

1) Having a ton of research on paper looks good but ultimately, during interviews, people are going to ask you questions about your research. If you are burned out and cannot enthusiastically and intelligently talk about research, that looks bad. I think it is important to scale back to a point where you are doing research that interests you and that you can talk passionately about come interview time.

2) A first author paper in a high impact derm journal is great but it is by no means required to get into residency. If your goal is to start moving towards higher impact projects at a slower pace, then start doing so. You certainly have enough publications already where you don't need to continue to pump out so many.

3) I do think it is important you tie up the loose ends on your old projects that you have made commitments to. Creating negative impressions amongst attendings by holding up their research projects is never a good look. And people talk so while it may not be in your specialty, that is not the kind of impression you want to leave behind. Particularly if their are derm residents starting to get annoyed at you, that really should be a sign for you to clean up what you have on your plate first, then pursue what you want to research at a slower pace.

4) I tend to disagree with the advice about doing multiple smaller projects with PIs at different institutions in order to try to network. There's only so much someone can learn about you during a short term project. A meaningful LOR or a meaningful network connection is usually derived by someone taking a year off to work with a PI. I tend to be in the camp where you would work on fewer, high impact projects with a single PI who can write you a strong letter (AFTER you make good on the old commitments you have that are still pending)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.