General Bullying in the classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you deal with bullying in the classroom? Transferring is not an option.
Talk to your professors.

Seek help for developing coping skills. Your school's student services should be the first place to check.

Avoid bullies as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I did talk to a professor and one kid who harassed me just got "talked" to about his behavior and to stay away from me but that's it. Even then the sighing or coughing continued whenever he saw me. How would you deal with that? Or even prove this kind of petty behavior?

Presuming your typing as an incoming undergraduate student, you need to be vocal 100% of the time to fellow students, faculty, or advisors. Obviously avoid the situation as much as possible (sit in front of the classroom and around any friends you socialize with). Speaking about it to the professor is one thing, but speaking out loud in the classroom is another (usually puts the bully on blast with unwanted eyes on him/her). If its petty or serious (really any degree of bullying) you get vocal in the middle of class that forces your fellow students and professor to act on the incident rather than brushing it off (No, I don't mean go on a cussing rampage but you need to make it known that enough is enough if everyone else on faculty is simply ignoring it).

if it's beyond petty (sexual harassment or threats of any sort) then document the incidents and report it to the school. They are mandated to look into it and you need to be vigilant about it. I know many professionals and faculty members that have zero tolerance for bullying. Communicate it if it's really holding back your learning progress.

I would go to the University's student services and utilize their resources in developing strategies to combat bullying. Document everything, even microaggressions as much as you can. This on top of talking to your student affairs dean at the school. Talk in confidence to your student leadership that you trust. There may be also an anonymous integrity "tip line" that you can report any incidents.

ADEA recently pushed out a webinar among members of the dental education community about the concerns of bullying, focusing on how dental school administrators should be more responsive to bullying that occurs, especially when students attack other students in-person and online. Certainly if it crosses discrimination law, this will be extremely problematic and subject the university (not just the school) to legal liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.